VIOFO A119S Modified Firmware MODs Archive

checked the ribbon cable its correctly inserted still bricked.
Make sure you fully lifted the black secure bar when inserting the ribbon cable. I would remove it and try again. Freezing on the splash screen is a symptom of a poorly seated cable.

Yes.

If you find one that's compatible, please do share the link.

Not everything is so simple, Our holder has a mounting place of 19 mm
The lens is also not easy to pick, believe me.

Last edited:
well now this is an interesting turn of events.... I thought I was going to be able to look at possibly doing the focus procedure either by housing adjust or lens adjust and things are not the same as shown in the video.
I just opened up my A119S v.2 and saw this:
View attachment 41079
No Locking ring and a ton of glue! not just around the threads of the lens but around the base of the housing as well.
View attachment 41080
Verify ribbon cable was inserted fully and straight before reassembly.
A119S-Ribbon-Mainboard-clip.JPG
A119S-Ribbon-Sensor-clip.JPG
VERIFY TINY SURFACE MOUNTED COMPONENTS WERE NOT DAMAGED outside the white holder outline.
233867c8f063aa01bf9262a2d57abf6d.jpg

The Mainboard black ribbon clip is usually covered by copper shield, slightly bend it back so black clip stays fully opened when inserting ribbon, then bend back the copper but verify the colored translucent insulating sheet under it covers the battery and nearby components so copper strip doesn't short anything. View my Disassemble video for complete procedure.

Here's a picture of mine. I just decided to take it apart out of boredom.

This is the newest version with the A129 lens. Yes, it is a metal base. There is some QC issues as my lens was not even screwed into the housing! It was just attached on to the 2 small alignment pegs next to the screw holes, but no screws to fasten it in... As soon as I popped the lens housing open, the whole lens just fell out. :mad:
The VIOFO production line has random quality control, I was fuming as well, with holder issues, I'd be raging with missing parts. It could rattle lose in the vehicle, possibly a good warning to everyone with newer A119S and metal base to check for missing screws then create Support Ticket and get them shipped to you today.

Last edited:
Verify ribbon cable was inserted fully and straight before reassembly.
View attachment 41084
View attachment 41085
VERIFY TINY SURFACE MOUNTED COMPONENTS WERE NOT DAMAGED outside the white holder outline.
233867c8f063aa01bf9262a2d57abf6d.jpg

View my Disassemble video for complete procedure.

I think I found the issue...

:eek:

20180826_201845.jpg

The ribbon cable cracked a tiny bit on the lens side just as it meets the connector. :mad::cry:o_O

anyone know where i can get a replacement ribbon?

Not everything is so simple, Our holder has a mounting place of 19 mm
The lens is also not easy to pick, believe me.
Until someone finds a perfect holder size to fit our sensor board without touching the components, the only option to getting replacement holders is ask VIOFO to reveal its source or buy from them directly. It would be very nice to have the updated A129 Len, holder & sensor module in my old A119S. Some DVRs use standard Lens & holders and not as limited in placement as the Sony sensor circuit board packed with surface components on both sides plus inside the holder near the sensor chip. The A119S Lens holder must be a proprietary design.

I think I found the issue...

:eek:

View attachment 41086

The ribbon cable cracked a tiny bit on the lens side just as it meets the connector. :mad::cry:o_O

anyone know where i can get a replacement ribbon?
Good eyes to see that broken ribbon trace. The cable is best asked for from VIOFO for shortest length but yes it can be ordered from eBay and Amazon and else where. Let me check the specs, its single sided and 28 contacts if I remember correctly, always get the flex cable. As a last resort you can take that cable into an electronics shop for measuring the center-to-center contact pitch, contact width, edge spacer, must be perfect, type A or insulation tab ends. Its not a standard cable but if you have no options there are ways. I have a few links to sellers but all are currently out of stock.

Last edited:
numbers from the cable itself :

S51G_SFPC_28P50MM_V02.

numbers from the cable itself :

S51G_SFPC_28P50MM_V02.
You need this cable think its 3 or 4 inch original part but since its custom length will end up ordering longer one, just get shortest.
Key ribbon cable specs = 28pins + 0.5mm center-to-center contact pitch + contact width + edge spacer measurment + type A or (F) insulated tab end + ribbon length = email VIOFO
This link is for WRONG ribbon since its type B with alternating contact ends but gives you idea of specs needed before ordering.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/311439007670

You need this cable think its 3 or 4 inch original part but since its custom length will end up ordering longer one, just get shortest.
Key ribbon cable specs = 28pins + 0.5mm center-to-center contact pitch + contact width + edge spacer measurment + type A or (F) insulated tab end + ribbon length = email VIOFO
This link is for WRONG ribbon since its type B with alternating contact ends but gives you idea of specs needed before ordering.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/311439007670

Thanks for the info!
I was just contacted by another member that had a replacement for me! :love::D(y)(y)
So I'll see if that works out! till then :coffee::cool:
If not I'll track down a part through VIOFO or order a new cam or both.

The ribbon cable cracked a tiny bit on the lens side just as it meets the connector.
ribbon cable is not a problem of defocusing! Because video is recorded in you, the ribbon cable is in perfect order, otherwise, the signal from the matrix has not passed to the processor.
Problems related to defocusing are described by me a year and a half ago.

Last edited:
A cpl filter would have been really useful here! I still haven't picked one up yet. I did remount the camera though, now on the drivers side of the rear view mirror, and lower by about 2 inches to avoid any of the dots lining the top of the windshield affecting the picture, and to be a little further forward. Haven't played with the angle yet, but the couple of extra inches helps ;).

I was just going for a quick drive to drop something off, and the weather went from light drizzle to insanity almost instantaneously.

MOD7K v1.01 + 27Mpbs + IQ

Settings: 1080p@60fps + WDR off + EV 0 + Frequenzy 60Hz

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xxF4PQmYuZet6HYaCSwraU4l6LpFBL0U
This was pretty neat just as I was leaving my place. Drizzle, light flash, downpour.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=19b-gCiq6CVBKjkk2MzihRJgQlIfrxBoZ
Rain in full swing, with fat rain drops. The camera picked up the drops pretty clearly on the road as well as when passing under the street lights.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fTlVvGpz3KlY79hkRfCTIx2jOn5RCilC
Camera got punished here. Combination of low light, heavy rain, splashing, blowing trees, wipers, etc. resulted in several areas with framerate drop.

I haven't used this MOD during the day, but just this short night drive impressed me. The picture just looks natural. So far I prefer the settings of 1.01.

A cpl filter would have been really useful here! I still haven't picked one up yet. I did remount the camera though, now on the drivers side of the rear view mirror, and lower by about 2 inches to avoid any of the dots lining the top of the windshield affecting the picture, and to be a little further forward. Haven't played with the angle yet, but the couple of extra inches helps ;).

I was just going for a quick drive to drop something off, and the weather went from light drizzle to insanity almost instantaneously.

MOD7K v1.01 + 27Mpbs + IQ

Settings: 1080p@60fps + WDR off + EV 0 + Frequenzy 60Hz

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xxF4PQmYuZet6HYaCSwraU4l6LpFBL0U
This was pretty neat just as I was leaving my place. Drizzle, light flash, downpour.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=19b-gCiq6CVBKjkk2MzihRJgQlIfrxBoZ
Rain in full swing, with fat rain drops. The camera picked up the drops pretty clearly on the road as well as when passing under the street lights.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fTlVvGpz3KlY79hkRfCTIx2jOn5RCilC
Camera got punished here. Combination of low light, heavy rain, splashing, blowing trees, wipers, etc. resulted in several areas with framerate drop.

I haven't used this MOD during the day, but just this short night drive impressed me. The picture just looks natural. So far I prefer the settings of 1.01.
Typical Prairie rain storm, that footage is going in the World Tour. I'm always impressed with the quality of v1.01 at night, in the rain its unbelievable, great work getting the sound of the rain smashing the vehicle and background lightning.

Reminder to check the first post of this and all other Modified Firmware threads often for new MODs.
Changed the MOD ID definition to now reflect Bit Rate & IQ revision. MOD-5K = 25Mbps + IQ-K revision, MOD-4D = 24Mbps + IQ-D revision.
Using the new ID system all Stable MODs have been updated with reduced Saturation, nothing else changed.
Beta MOD-K have been renamed but remain unchanged.

Last edited:
I tend to agree v1.01 is superior but for different reasons including yours. As of today Aug 26, 2018, I do NOT have control of Contrast, Brightness, White Balance or Gamma settings. Old firmware v1.01 demonstrates 'natural' balanced settings for these untouchable image controls while v2.61 represents the VIOFO higher levels. The night footage better demonstrates the differences but it can also be noticed in daytime footage. Its also very subjective since 80% consumers want enhanced detail for accident evidence while 20% want realistic non 'halo' video quality.

The 'halo' adds artificial sharpness that consumes a lot of bits to encode; therefore, reducing halo (without sacrificing sharpness) allows bits to be better used for encoding, increasing the overall image quality. The soft-sharp-halo parameters (sharpness + edge detection) should be very carefully and precise tweaked, minor adjusting giving very noticeable effects.

Back