VIOFO A119S Modified Firmware MODs Archive

BlackCloud that lens looks OOF ( Out Of Focus ) left side.
@BlackCloud - The Lens or windshield may have smear on left but yes it is blurred on left edge. Clean the Lens & windshield inside and out then try again, if same issue you have a misaligned Lens on the sensor board, see my video on how to make minor adjustment or request replacement Lens module from VIOFO or return dashcam to vendor. It's not horrible but I'd check it out.

I think v1.01 is still closer to reality; v2.61 has too much 'plastic' (sharpness+saturation)

I think v1.01 is still closer to reality; v2.61 has too much 'plastic' (sharpness+saturation)
I tend to agree v1.01 is superior but for different reasons including yours. As of today Aug 26, 2018, I do NOT have control of Contrast, Brightness, White Balance or Gamma settings. Old firmware v1.01 demonstrates 'natural' balanced settings for these untouchable image controls while v2.61 represents the VIOFO higher levels. The night footage better demonstrates the differences but it can also be noticed in daytime footage. Its also very subjective since 80% consumers want enhanced detail for accident evidence while 20% want realistic non 'halo' video quality.

Great TIP, almost all "vendors" suggest best video quality is when dashcam is aimed down to prevent blown-out sky but this is exactly why its always best to to tilt DVR higher. All my YouTube footage shows minimal hood for this very reason works better during Day & Night.
The shape and slope of hood has major affect, so a flat pickup truck will have no choice but to include full hood, but small car can tilt up. the 60/40 ratio is good but doesn't always apply to long flat hood vehicles, in those always best to mount DVR as high on windshield as possible for best angle. The Focus is for infinity but the white hood will shift lighting for the target objects approaching, experiment to find the best angle for your vehicle.

Less sky => darken image => longer exposure time => more motion blur.

@BlackCloud - The Lens or windshield may have smear on left but yes it is blurred on left edge. Clean the Lens & windshield inside and out then try again, if same issue you have a misaligned Lens on the sensor board, see my video on how to make minor adjustment or request replacement Lens module from VIOFO or return dashcam to vendor. It's not horrible but I'd check it out.

I'm not sure what/where the Out Of Focus you are seeing is my eyes are not able to see exactly what you are referring to. If maybe some one can post a still image and point to where you are seeing "blur" that would help me out. There are still a few nasty reflections from the dash even with the CPL in proper alignment and my windshield does need a cleaning inside and out. I'll get than done and post another clip a bit later. I will also clean the camera lens and cpl lens.

Thanks for the Feedback!!

I'm not sure what/where the Out Of Focus you are seeing is my eyes are not able to see exactly what you are referring to. If maybe some one can post a still image and point to where you are seeing "blur" that would help me out. There are still a few nasty reflections from the dash even with the CPL in proper alignment and my windshield does need a cleaning inside and out. I'll get than done and post another clip a bit later. I will also clean the camera lens and cpl lens.

Thanks for the Feedback!!
This Blurry-on-left was common on original version-1 A119S dashcams that had defective off-center metal Lens holders. I had mine replaced three times until VIOFO shipped me a 'fixed' Lens with plastic Lens holder. Hopefully yours is just a smear.
Many shared video clips have some focus issues, either at edges or center. As @gse discovered 1.5 years ago hot temperatures and plastic Lens holder = focus drift/shift due to thermal dynamic expansion (great phrase). The DVR industry is the only one to eliminate this hardware caused issue. The A119S went through many changes, defective metal holders, then plastic holders, F1.6 wide & narrow .. two others, now I'm told switched to metal holders again. The above image could be a smear but it is exactly what a defective lens holder does when not aligned over the sensor perfectly. Impossible to fix with re-focusing since other side is perfect. Consider exchange or create VIOFO Support Ticket, send your footage as proof and link to this post.

Last edited:
Nope. Less sky = brighter (rest of the) image.
This happens due to increased exposure time that finally leads to motion blur.

I'd like to take a moment and thank everyone following the A119S, A129DUO, A119, & A119PRO Modified Firmware threads. The A119S alone now has 13 pages of revealing, interesting and helpful posts related to image quality improvements on VIOFO Dash Cams. The participation is outstanding in 21 Days and everyone here and lurking on the outside are witnessing change in action. VIOFO will have little choice but to start including our 'tested' modifications in soon to be released Official Firmware Updates.
I'd also like to recognize the contributions to these Threads from the industry:
Street Guardian - Manufacturer = jokiin
CaptureYourAction - Retailer
OCD Tronic - Retailer
<your name here>
My goal will always be to provide Support to the Consumer when there is a need.
Thank you to everyone reading these Threads, you are the 99% , my hope is you find my DashCamTalk and YouTube videos useful, show your support, subscribe today.

:facepalm:

Last edited:
well now this is an interesting turn of events.... I thought I was going to be able to look at possibly doing the focus procedure either by housing adjust or lens adjust and things are not the same as shown in the video.
I just opened up my A119S v.2 and saw this:
20180826_151431.jpg
No Locking ring and a ton of glue! not just around the threads of the lens but around the base of the housing as well.
20180826_151700.jpg

and now its a brick :cry:

had it all back together and powering it up freezes on splash screen

and now its a brick :cry:

had it all back together and powering it up freezes on splash screen

You need to twist the lens anti-clockwise. UV glue is not that strong, a little force while twisting works.

Regarding the freezing, most probably the ends of the ribbon cables are either reversed or the other way around.

well now this is an interesting turn of events.... I thought I was going to be able to look at possibly doing the focus procedure either by housing adjust or lens adjust and things are not the same as shown in the video.
I just opened up my A119S v.2 and saw this:
View attachment 41079
No Locking ring and a ton of glue! not just around the threads of the lens but around the base of the housing as well.

That Sir looks like it's been crossed threaded and bad QC

You need to twist the lens anti-clockwise. UV glue is not that strong, a little force while twisting works.

Regarding the freezing, most probably the ends of the ribbon cables are either reversed or the other way around.

checked the ribbon cable its correctly inserted still bricked.

Here's a picture of mine. I just decided to take it apart out of boredom.

This is the newest version with the A129 lens. Yes, it is a metal base. There is some QC issues as my lens was not even screwed into the housing! It was just attached on to the 2 small alignment pegs next to the screw holes, but no screws to fasten it in... As soon as I popped the lens housing open, the whole lens just fell out. :mad:

Attachments

• lens.jpg
    lens.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 35
Back