VIOFO A119S Modified Firmware MODs Archive

I would name it something like "DCT MODs Team".
or
"DASHCAMTALK
MODs Team"
or
"MADE BY
DCT MODs Team"
but definitely would include the word "Team".
smile3.gif

Well, the DICE logo is quite appropriate, since we're all rolling dice here playing with modded firmwares, anyway...

Took the new MOD-5H out for a night drive and released it into BETA after making adjustments.
Footage https://drive.google.com/open?id=1c4XMdtNiqM792wcxjIZ09KqtmBR5jXPm
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
MOD-7H - Beta - - August 30, 2018
FWA119S_MOD-7H_v1.01+27.5Mbps+CrispIQ-H.bin
- OLD version without Hot Pixel Mapping, No Parking Mode, No Delay start
- unique Contrast, Brightness, White Balance, Gamma levels
- increased Saturation 18 levels (was almost zero)
- reduced Edge Detection by 10.
MOD-5H - Beta - - August 30, 2018
FWA119S_MOD-5H_v1.01+25Mbps+CrispIQ-H.bin
- OLD version without Hot Pixel Mapping, No Parking Mode, No Delay start
- unique Contrast, Brightness, White Balance, Gamma levels
- increased Saturation 18 levels (was almost zero)
- reduced Edge Detection by 10.
DOWNLOAD https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kg3Ak0e4i7dY2CyT4Lk-CMfxhqubD4ti

Last edited:
Using the newest MOD-5H v1.01 at night to demonstrate street light glow and how VIOFO toned it down in current v2.61 making it yellowish. H-series image quality was achieved by leaving Sharpness 624 values at default. (image reduced to 256 colors for web).

5479c28b53bab22a2a3a8658490758e0.png

@BCHobbyist Which are the default values in original v1.01 for: Saturation, Edge detection, Sharpness?

Let's refer all modifications to these original values, instead of the previous modded values.
E.g. mod x +3sat. (vs. original) and mod y +5sat. (vs. original), instead of mod y +2 sat. (vs mod x)]

1. FWA119S_Req02_Custom-7G_v1.01+25Mbps+Sharp36+Edge178+Sat10 (I have reduced bitrate from 27.5 to 25)
2. FWA119S_MOD-5H_v1.01+25Mbps+CrispIQ-H
6.jpg 7.jpg
(1.) has almost perfect sharpness; there are some 'mosquito' artefacts on car numbers (that I haven't seen on the 27.5Mbps version - yesterday test);
(2.) has a bit lower saturation than (1.) but still too much;
'artificial sharpness' + 'edge halo' on (2.)

I would suggest:
a) MOD-5H needs Saturation to be reduced (by say, 3 levels) and further reduce Edge detection +/- Sharpness;
b) (1.) is a quite good mod, but I still prefer FWA119S_Req02_Custom-7G_v1.01+27.5Mbps+Sharp36+Edge178+Sat10.

FWA119S_MOD-5H_v1.01+25Mbps+CrispIQ-H clip: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uSjfNpFZyman6LILlFEs0CZhKm3N6zRy

@Caerus, I owe you big time for your time and effort to record exactly what I requested, Excellent, A+ !!
This video comparison reveals many differences between v1.01 & V2.61 no one here has ever seen.
- proves A119S can record 27.5Mbps and save as single 10min clip without video corruption (was doubtful).
- proves 10min clips in general will case skipped frames which is noticeable at least twice.
- proves without a doubt v1.01 has different overall HUE color than v2.61
- proves the Engineering Building on left is still the ugliest building on campus.
- proves Engineering Students still walk around with beer bottles and don't give a damn.
- proves strange things still happen in front of Art Building as guy walks his pet rat on a string.
- proves people in that City still don't know how to drive.

prefer v1.01
I appreciate the effort in recording that footage, well done.

Sure no problem.

Agreed on all points!

It's pretty much a night and day difference between the FW. I think v1.01 is superior in every way, aside from hue being off, and I guess some of the missing features which I haven't used yet anyway. This is pretty close to what I would use as a daily driver.

I think this 7G v1.01 is also a tad soft (kind of a dreamy look :)), but I think the beta 7H v1.01 is already looking into that?

Last edited:
Sure no problem.

Agreed on all points!

It's pretty much a night and day difference between the FW. I think v1.01 is superior in every way, aside from hue being off, and I guess some of the missing features which I haven't used yet anyway. This is pretty close to what I would use as a daily driver.

I think this 7G v1.01 is also a tad soft (kind of a dreamy look :)), but I think the beta 7H v1.01 is already looking into that?
Save all previous MODs for v1.01 and begin using new H-series above, it's massively better for the old v1.01 has much less motion blur at night with Hot Pixel Mapping disabled. I have access to HUE color tables now so can make any adjustment, its just insanely tedious with 360 single color tints to select.

1. FWA119S_Req02_Custom-7G_v1.01+25Mbps+Sharp36+Edge178+Sat10 (I have reduced bitrate from 27.5 to 25)
2. FWA119S_MOD-5H_v1.01+25Mbps+CrispIQ-H
View attachment 41161View attachment 41162
(1.) has almost perfect sharpness; there are some 'mosquito' artefacts on car numbers (that I haven't seen on the 27.5Mbps version - yesterday test);
(2.) has a bit lower saturation than (1.) but still too much;
'artificial sharpness' + 'edge halo' on (2.)

I would suggest:
a) MOD-5H needs Saturation to be reduced (by say, 3 levels) and further reduce Edge detection +/- Sharpness;
b) (1.) is a quite good mod, but I still prefer FWA119S_Req02_Custom-7G_v1.01+27.5Mbps+Sharp36+Edge178+Sat10.

FWA119S_MOD-5H_v1.01+25Mbps+CrispIQ-H clip: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uSjfNpFZyman6LILlFEs0CZhKm3N6zRy
That is excellent location for Firmware comparisons. Agreed v1.01 5H has Edge halo, will drop Edge down 10, Saturation was increased to match v2.61 for comparison and easily lowered by 3, now Saturation15
uploaded these changes as
FWA119S_MOD-5Hb_v1.01+25Mbps+CrispIQ-H.bin
FWA119S_MOD-7Hb_v1.01+27.5Mbps+CrispIQ-H.bin

The interesting results gained by previously lowering Sharpness then increasing Edge Detection seems wrong but actually does improve the image. The new approach of not changing main Sharpness values and only changing Edge Detection should have similar effect once correct level is found, but does rely on a premise that Sharpness values across all four DVRs is correct to begin with.

Last edited:
Back