VIOFO A119S Modified Firmware MODs Archive

That makes sense. Will try it there
Thanks

I've noticed this. This is strange. With all other firmwares, the difference between EV 0 and -1/3 was significant. -1/3 is supposed to be darker.
Now -1/3 looks like 0. I don't understand why!
suggest you load official v2.61 FW then test EV to confirm issue is with base firmware and not MOD alterations, please let me know results.

@BCHobbyist

MOD-07, two rollers on 1 min.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fIGQPn9wVb_n2G1wt9poN3MtqjyF47Tq
0.png

2018_0821_150458_122_MP4_snapshot_00_03_2018_08_21_23_16_58.png
That forest trail you drove down confirms 27.1Mbps is enough to prevent complex pattern pixelation. Further testing between 24-26.6Mbps is needed.

Looking back over 3 years ago I was using a GITUP1 as my dashcam and I personally think it still wipes the floor with the A119/A119s and Duo. I now have this camera as my rear camera and seriously thinking of swapping them round Gitup1 as front A119s rear.

I know it's a go pro style camera and not a dedicated dashcam but it does have a much sharper brighter detailed image with lots more dynamic range. IMHO.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3eqsov9t2fqqebv/GitUp Front Cam.MOV?dl=0
Was GitUp1 same price as A119S ? The Lens is larger correct ? not apples to apples, but I want one any way.

The gitup1 is much cheaper than the A119s Yes and the lens is the same size I think.

I know its comparing apples to oranges and the imx291 sensor on the A119s will outperform the Sony Imx233 at night on the gitup but for me who don't do much night time driving it does not matter and what matters for me is the daytime footage.

Last edited:
I purchased the adapter from Ali express many years ago but if you search 37mm slim CPL you should find a suitable one. The Hoya Pro filter can be purchased from any decent camera shop or even E bay.
Let me know when you have A119S footage using that DIY Hoya CPL Filter. Two years back I attempted a DIY CPL for tiny DVR but the outer CPL ring rattled against the windshield, had to aim too low for my needs. More and more DVR's are including CPLs but not the older models. Not sure if the magnetic CPLs affect image sensor but look good on expensive DVRs. The alternative is to cover shiny plastic/vinyl dash with black cloth.

A129 uses a metal holder, a good lens, the angle in the horizon of the front camera is 110 degrees.
I can install and adjust the lenses, this is not a problem for me, but Russia is very far away.

Thanks for the offer to adjust Lens, thats not my issue. I kept the original v1 Feb 2017 off-center defective metal holder as evidence, image always shifted to the right causing blur on left due to off-center holder barrel. All Plastic holders put on same sensor board align perfectly. All I have are cheap plastic holders and they drift focus in these hot days so impossible to adjust without blurry center or side edges. I require metal holders for the two Lens, of them one is slightly smaller thread barrel diameter so original F1.6 cannot fit into that plastic holder. It couldn't get any worse. Luckily back in Aug 2017 Bill shipped me one F1.8 that actually works as expected but it also has plastic holder.

Q: All four Lenses from the first day out of the box had over 12 Hot Pixels visible when loading FW1.01 (saved the footage). How could a factory new Sony sensor have more than 2 Hot Pixels on first day?
Someone at VIOFO knows the real reason.
Theory #1 - A large batch of discounted imperfect Sony 2MP IMX291 Exmor sensors where used to build initial 1K -5K units all with Hot Pixels.
Theory #2 - production line assembly is over heating the Sony 2MP IMX291 Exmor sensors causing the Hot Pixels.
Theory #3 - my country's import security screening with X-Ray equipment is damaging the sensors.
Theory #4 - its known that Sony 2MP IMX291 Exmor sensors all have 8-15 Hot Pixels but normally mapped out by software except when loading FW1.01 to reveal the true defects.

If a dedicated group of A119S owners World wide loaded FW1.01 and some found zero Hot Pixels it would eliminate Theory #2 & 4.
FYI - the Hot Pixel remapping function does affect image quality and can increase motion blurring.
Does that country with zero Hot Pixels have import security screening with X-Rays?

All CMOS sensors will have hot pixels, the technology doesn't exist to make a sensor without this happening, they are mapped out using software

Reactions: gse
I do not consider several bit of pixies to be a problem.

I do not consider several bit of pixies to be a problem.
Technically you can get superior results without hot pixel mapping but people have an issue with the bright pixels and think the camera is faulty, it's a trade off you have to make unfortunately

Reactions: gse
can there be a fix for the firmware, excluding the number of pixels? for example, I saw pixels, I fixed the fix and am happy

Technically you can get superior results without hot pixel mapping but people have an issue with the bright pixels and think the camera is faulty, it's a trade off you have to make unfortunately
If all DVR sensors have Hot Pixels how many are expected from Day 1 ?
Are there any Brand DVRs with less than 3 on Day 1 ?
In your experience how many Hot Pixels are considered product defect ?

It's not how many pixels, it's where they are and how many pixels between them, a cluster of pixels would be a problem, random pixels are not, around a dozen pixels would be average

It's not how many pixels, it's where they are and how many pixels between them, a cluster of pixels would be a problem, random pixels are not, around a dozen pixels would be average
Majority of DVR owners buy for accident evidence recording. Why add Hot Pixel mapping to normal Firmware updates to correct 12 white dots shown at night but keep running mapping function contiuously day and night or on set timer? Any Mapping function requires video frames to process which removes them from recorded footage degrading image quality by increasing motion blurring even during sunny days?
Better solution is give DVR owners the option to load separate Maintenance Hot Pixel Masking update to mask out white dots using predetermined procedure (put it in a box in closet for 5 mins as mapping occurs). Then load normal Firmware similar to LOADER procedure. This way its not running all the time affecting performance and image quality. Hot Pixel mapping does negatively affect image quality slightly, lets remove it and load as optional package every 6 months.

A119S firmware ready for Beta Testing MOD-7e.

Located in > Beta MODs > Beta Combos > FWA119S_MOD-7e_v2.61+27Mbps+Sharp34+Edge178+DICE.bin
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
MOD-07e - - - August 22, 2018 ChangeLog
FWA119S_MOD-7e_v2.61+27Mbps+Sharp34+Edge178+DICE.bin
- tuned Sharpness table (phase 1)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
DOWNLOAD A119S MODs: https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/p/download-a119s-mod-file.html

Last edited:
Majority of DVR owners buy for accident evidence recording. Why add Hot Pixel mapping to normal Firmware updates to correct 12 white dots shown at night but keep running mapping function contiuously day and night or on set timer? Any Mapping function requires video frames to process which removes them from recorded footage degrading image quality by increasing motion blurring even during sunny days?
Better solution is give DVR owners the option to load separate Maintenance Hot Pixel Masking update to mask out white dots using predetermined procedure (put it in a box in closet for 5 mins as mapping occurs). Then load normal Firmware similar to LOADER procedure. This way its not running all the time affecting performance and image quality. Hot Pixel mapping does negatively affect image quality slightly, lets remove it and load as optional package every 6 months.

not quite like that, the pixel mapping for bright and dark pixels is two separate functions, we only use the white pixel function and don't bother with the dark pixel process so it's only low light situations where it is used, (I'm pretty sure Viofo are doing the same) so daytime video in not affected at all, even the night process needs beyond a certain ISO before it works so it's really got to be dark before it happens

static masking can give you a pretty effective result, won't impact things much but the problem is hot pixels aren't always fixed so it needs to be redone from time to time, not ideal for most people

Back