VIOFO A119S Modified Firmware MODs Archive

The photo of Hoya CPL is deceiving, all digital camera camcorders require adjustable CPLs meaning the out ring actually turns 360degrees to allow variety of light control. You are seeing two rings but its just the outer lens attached to its own rotating base not an adapter. All camera CPLs are thicker for this reason.

^This.

The lens is much heavier than the original plastic one but I don't think it is a problem as it takes a little force to move the lens up & down and once you have the lens where you want it you could always use a little Hot Glue or a lump of blue tack but I really don't think its a problem. The trouble is if you go smaller then you have the chance of the vignetting again as the A119s has a wide angle lens.

Last edited:
A119S firmware ready for Beta Testing MOD-7g August 23, 2018 9pm
Located in > Beta MODs > Beta Combos > FWA119S_MOD-7g_v2.61+27Mbps+Sharp34+Edge178+Satg.bin

Saturation image control can now be modified. While adjusting the values to an appropriate level discovered the previous coder used similar algorithm I just developed from scratch 30mins ago, except they went high and I low. This should be a Stable version but placed in Beta box for testing. Notice color differences, not as red, blue, green, yellow, white ... feedback is needed on your opinion in lowering Saturation.

DOWNLOAD A119S MODs: https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/p/download-a119s-mod-file.html

Last edited:
Saturation image control can now be modified. While adjusting the values to an appropriate level discovered the previous coder used similar algorithm I just developed from scratch 30mins ago, except they went high and I low. This should be a Stable version but placed in Beta box for testing. Notice color differences, not as red, blue, green, yellow, white ... feedback is needed on your opinion in lowering Saturation.

How about one for us parking mode users?

Why not start dedicated threads of your firmware in each camera model subforum so that everyone can refer to the first post to easily find your links and for others to link to. You can also link all of your videos and other users videos in the first post as well so it will be a straight forward easy reference. Doing this would make everything very efficient and a good quick reference. This is how all other modified firmware threads are and it makes it SO easy to look at. Right now this thread is very convoluted having to search through since it intermingles talks between your modified firmware and stock firmware.

Keep up the good work! Hopefully @viofo incorporates many of these changes.

Edit: Dedicated thread was started.

Last edited:
Thanks for your time and effort to make these improvements and for sharing them. [emoji106][emoji111][emoji471]

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Thanks for your time and effort to make these improvements and for sharing them. [emoji106][emoji111][emoji471]

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Your support is well received and appreciated as always. Just wait till the Fireworks start, the count down begins.

A119S firmware ready for Beta Testing MOD-7g August 23, 2018 9pm
Located in > Beta MODs > Beta Combos > FWA119S_MOD-7g_v2.61+27Mbps+Sharp34+Edge178+Satg.bin

DOWNLOAD A119S MODs: https://drive.google.com/open?id=12fZcd7vuglroUOsL0lHClORbclbXQqLv

I don't see a saturation control option in the menu ? have I missed something or do you have to reset the value in the firmware

I don't see a saturation control option in the menu ? have I missed something or do you have to reset the value in the firmware
I gained access to Saturation, Sharpness, Bit Rate, Edge Detection, Version ID & Logo by hacking the firmware code, none is available to End User through Menu because VIOFOs doesn't want us to use it. This is the reason for my MODs, so I have access and can create the type of image quality you the owner wants, its why we must test the MODs, only I can make the adjustments until further tools are perfected or VIOFO finally includes them all in the user MENU.

No new mod for A119, BCHobbyist?

Thanks.
The Beta for Saturation is best done with the A119S owners since this one setting has been all but abandoned from IQ updates for over 9 months in A119S, the A119 had IQ update not long ago and not as critical for image improvement.

How about one for us parking mode users?

Why not start dedicated threads of your firmware in each camera model subforum so that everyone can refer to the first post to easily find your links and for others to link to. You can also link all of your videos and other users videos in the first post as well so it will be a straight forward easy reference. Doing this would make everything very efficient and a good quick reference. This is how all other modified firmware threads are and it makes it SO easy to look at. Right now this thread is very convoluted having to search through since it intermingles talks between your modified firmware and stock firmware.

Keep up the good work! Hopefully @viofo incorporates many of these changes.

Took 2 hours to move 4 Threads (+80 posts) to new threads, anything else I can do for you today?

Took 2 hours to move 4 Threads (+80 posts) to new threads, anything else I can do for you today?

Way to go Sir! Now this thread is organized! Did I mention I was OCD? However, your first post is your second post (Dadi_T is currently the first post in this thread). Earlier there were 2 before your first post.

I loaded a version of your firmware and will be testing it out this evening. Thanks for making me clean my windshield! Unfortunately I realized how scratched my windshield is in the process.

Edit: I'll be testing a non-saturation revised version since the current saturation edited versions are high bitrate (using parking mode).

Last edited:
Way to go Sir! Now this thread is organized! Did I mention I was OCD? However, your first post is your second post (Dadi_T is currently the first post in this thread). Earlier there were 2 before your first post.

I loaded a version of your firmware and will be testing it out this evening. Thanks for making me clean my windshield!
Your Thread creation suggestion has placed undo stress on Admin, difficulty in ordering the Intro post to top, out of my hands now. The new A129 thread lost all posts... will check back with Admin in 4 hours.

FWA119S_MOD-7g_v2.61+27Mbps+Sharp34+Edge178+Satg.bin 1080p @60fps & CPL which fell off coming home ...lol so need to find a better solution to mounting it to the camera.
what about a piece of an electrical tape?

That won't work because when it gets hot it goes all sticky and would be a mess. I will have to get my thinking head on as it is loads better than the original Viofo plastic one.

Quick vid of MOD 7g. 1080p@60fps + WDR Off + EV 0 + Frequency 60Hz

Weather isn't the best today, pretty cloudy. This was just a quick residential clip.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_Feo9Lb5-k_213dB3Drf9nfRW3Hn26Qm

The video seems to have kind of gotten worse. There is a reduction in clarity. Even though it is a cloudy day today, the video is substantially darker than how it actually is outside. There were even some very bright breaks in the sky that don't show at all here. It seems to be struggling to cope with lighting conditions and keeps going lighter and darker much more often, like it can't decide what to do. There also seems to be a visible grid/checker board pattern over the entire picture now.

For a good comparison, we need two registers with different software so that shooting is done simultaneously from two cameras.
Since many do not have two recorders, you can do this:
It is necessary to maintain the same route with different software in minimum short time intervals so that the shooting conditions are as close as possible to each other.
Prepare any version of the software on an additional memory card for DVR firmware,
go on a certain route,
Change the prepared software and go through this route again.
You can compare.

Hello everybody,
this is my first post here, but I've been following the forums for a while. I've installed and tried out many of BCHobbyist's firmwares, but this is a clip from the latest 7g:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DvMnhZnmSC7lVvBElfAuKlASi4Rjj3TB/view?usp=sharing
1080@30fps, WDR off, CPL on, EV 0
Despite the rainy weather, sun, rainbow and lightnings (so not the perfect conditions..) I think color reproduction is better with a lowered saturation.

Looks good to me and love the lightning capture. Can I ask why you have it set to 30fps not 60?

Back