VIOFO A129 non-IR 1080p Modified Firmware MODs Archive

My front cam is crystal clear int the day and night with the CPL. I have a few reflection issues with my rear cam on sunny days, but as I said at night rear camera is grainy and really not good quality at all. I'm considering cutting out a little of the tint for to create a 'window' for the rear cam.

Where can I find the 'new larger CPL'? This is the one I ordered: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01N1Y66KV
How do I know what FOV my lens is? I remember seeing a post about that but can't seem to find it right now.
You ordered the Large CPL which is newer and works/fits all VIOFO Dashcams.
I created this Lens comparison graphic for easier Lens identification.

My advice for your image quality issues :
  • load MOD-4Uj for 130 FOV or 4Uk for 140 FOV Lens, both increase Bitrate higher than stock FW.
  • if the rear window is also tinted glass suggest using 6Uj and ignore rear camera quality.
  • leave WDR off to reduce motion blur but lower Lens angle slightly to increase road brightness.
  • to reduce that colorful circular wave pattern on tinted windshield remove Circular Polarizing Lens Filter , if significantly reduced without CPL consider slightly rotating CPL glass 1mm either way as a test (probably won't help).
  • all tinted windows cause image quality issues , to compensate for darkened image remove CPL, aim camera lower and order 140 FOV uncoated brighter Lens, many enable WDR for dark rear tinted windows.
Don't expect perfect video when tinted windshield reduces brightness degrading image quality from any Dash Cam especially at night.

1. My packaging says the cameras have a 140 degree view? Or what do you mean by 130 or 140 FOV?
  2. I was considering 4UK. (assume that's proper one for duo camera setup with 140 degree viewing angle)? Doesn't this give front 24 and rear 20?
  3. I'm not about making rear image quality crap. so 6UJ (Or UK?) is out of question.
  4. Doesn't WDR take lightest and darkest areas and compensate for image quality? Videos from my rear tint are dark and grainy a bit due to tint but are fine otherwise.
  5. Finally, ya tint darkens and allows less light. I tried CFL on rear window and it didn't go well. Pretty certain the halo effect is from CFL filter on front camera when sun shining at lens or it's unusually bright out.

FYI on the 4UK is the 140 FOV for cameras with a 140 viewing angle. Box for my A129 Duo state 140 degree viewing angle

1. My packaging says the cameras have a 140 degree view? Or what do you mean by 130 or 140 FOV?
  2. I was considering 4UK. (assume that's proper one for duo camera setup with 140 degree viewing angle)? Doesn't this give front 24 and rear 20?
  3. I'm not about making rear image quality crap. so 6UJ (Or UK?) is out of question.
  4. Doesn't WDR take lightest and darkest areas and compensate for image quality? Videos from my rear tint are dark and grainy a bit due to tint but are fine otherwise.
  5. Finally, ya tint darkens and allows less light. I tried CFL on rear window and it didn't go well. Pretty certain the halo effect is from CFL filter on front camera when sun shining at lens or it's unusually bright out.

FYI on the 4UK is the 140 FOV for cameras with a 140 viewing angle. Box for my A129 Duo state 140 degree viewing angle
Ignore the Lens specs on box, look at the Lens graphic I posted above to correctly identify the Lens shape, or post a photo here of your Lens.
4Uk or 6Uk is better for wide angle uncoated Lens sharpness.
Rear camera image quality/brightness will be less through heavy tinted glass and difference between 18 to 20 Mb/s isn't noticeable, only when its over 25.6 can you actually see the difference, use 2Uk or 4Uk for balance.
Enable WDR to compensate for the lower brightness of heavy Rear window tint, but expect increased motion blur.
CPL = Circular Polarizing Lens - should not be used on tinted windows, instead you can install fabric dash mats to 100% eliminate reflections.

Record test footage with CPL Off + WDR On using stock FW, then compare it against my MODs to determine best firmware for your needs.
Share your RAW footage/screenshots here.

You ordered the Large CPL which is newer and works/fits all VIOFO Dashcams.
I created this Lens comparison graphic for easier Lens identification.
View attachment 44663

Looks like the faulty first camera and the replacement camera I received are the 130 FOV. The replacement Viofo is in the new packaging and the "2019" model on Amazon...but apparently not the different lens.

So which camera is better? 130 FOV or 140 FOV... See my image of camera.

meras

Attachments

• foto_no_exif.jpg
    foto_no_exif.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 30
Looks like the faulty first camera and the replacement camera I received are the 130 FOV. The replacement Viofo is in the new packaging and the "2019" model on Amazon...but apparently not the different lens.

So which camera is better? 130 FOV or 140 FOV... See my image of camera.

meras
Look at the picture comparison of the two lenses BCHobbyist linked. You have lens 1, which is the newer lens.

The A129 and A119S will only be sold retail with the newer narrower coated 130 FOV Lens once all old 140 FOV Lens stock is sold out so there won't be any choice or question which is better. In my opinion the original wide angle 140 FOV Lens was a mistake which required precise Focus adjustment, wasn't Beta Tested enough, sold too early and required a larger CPL Filter which wasn't available but A129 was sold to the public anyway with many complaints of soft center Focus and vignetting with original CPL Filter. Changing the problematic Lens was necessary.

The big question is what will happen with the new smaller diameter Lens currently in the new Infrared Camera which my early Alpha/Beta testing reveals has better Focus and Color than 130 FOV Lens. The new non-IR version (Pre-Production) is now my main Rear Camera with 180 degree Lens rotation for exterior or interior views. It would be an excellent replacement for current Rear camera. The full IR Camera is designed for installation to windshield facing driver and passengers specifically for Taxi, Uber, Lyft Driver applications. Will this new Lens replace the A129 Front Lens in the future is unknown, it will be an interesting DIY Project.

link to my IR Camera thread here:

The big question is what will happen with the new smaller diameter Lens currently in the new Infrared Camera which my early Alpha/Beta testing reveals has better Focus and Color than 130 FOV Lens. The new non-IR version (Pre-Production) is now my main Rear Camera with 180 degree Lens rotation for exterior or interior views. It would be an excellent replacement for current Rear camera. The full IR Camera is designed for installation to windshield facing driver and passengers specifically for Taxi, Uber, Lyft Driver applications. Will this new Lens replace the A129 Front Lens in the future is unknown, it will be an interesting DIY Project.
There is no need to use an expensive IR lens on a non-IR camera!

There is no need to use an expensive IR lens on a non-IR camera!
Beta testing Lenses is what I do. In 2017 I was testing the current 130 FOV lens in the A119S for over a year and now its the new replacement Lens in the A129.

The only new Lens I've got is from the IR Cameras so as usual I'll disassemble the IR Lens module separate the glass Lens and metal holder from sensor and IR circuit board and swap out my current Front A129 F1.6 aperture coated 130 FOV Lens#1 with the smaller diameter F1.6 aperture coated 130-150 FOV Lens and holder to verify image quality improvement possibilities. Plan to also remove the expensive GitUp F1 and G3 Lenses to see if they fit on the A129 sensor board.
My goal is to improve the A129 image quality with different Lens and modified Firmware combinations.
I believe the correct term is Research and Development but I prefer the title DCTeam DIY Projects or to be more accurate Lens Lottery Hobbyist.

The A129 and A119S will only be sold retail with the newer narrower coated 130 FOV Lens once all old 140 FOV Lens stock is sold out so there won't be any choice or question which is better. In my opinion the original wide angle 140 FOV Lens was a mistake which required precise Focus adjustment, wasn't Beta Tested enough, sold too early and required a larger CPL Filter which wasn't available but A129 was sold to the public anyway with many complaints of soft center Focus and vignetting with original CPL Filter. Changing the problematic Lens was necessary.

link to my IR Camera thread here:

Well then I am happy to say I have the 130 FOV as reported in my post above. Was downtrodden thinking the 140 FOV was better, but guess not. That being said, I am testing Stock Firmware + WDR ON and CFL removed from Front Camera.

What is the best firmware for the 130 FOV? The Modified FW 4Uj seems to be a good balance? 24 mbps front and 20 rear. Not really compromising a huge amount from rear but giving the front a sizeable boost?

What are your thoughts here?

Well then I am happy to say I have the 130 FOV as reported in my post above. Was downtrodden thinking the 140 FOV was better, but guess not. That being said, I am testing Stock Firmware + WDR ON and CFL removed from Front Camera.

What is the best firmware for the 130 FOV? The Modified FW 4Uj seems to be a good balance? 24 mbps front and 20 rear. Not really compromising a huge amount from rear but giving the front a sizeable boost?

What are your thoughts here?
I created a range of MODs for different Owner preferences, try all Stable versions to find one that matches your Lens Focus and needs.
Wondering why your IP is from Sweden but listed country USA ? How many accounts do you have on DCT?

Beta testing Lenses is what I do. In 2017 I was testing the current 130 FOV lens in the A119S for over a year and now its the new replacement Lens in the A129.

The only new Lens I've got is from the IR Cameras so as usual I'll disassemble the IR Lens module separate the glass Lens and metal holder from sensor and IR circuit board and swap out my current Front A129 F1.6 aperture coated 130 FOV Lens#1 with the smaller diameter F1.6 aperture coated 130-150 FOV Lens and holder to verify image quality improvement possibilities. Plan to also remove the expensive GitUp F1 and G3 Lenses to see if they fit on the A129 sensor board.
My goal is to improve the A129 image quality with different Lens and modified Firmware combinations.
I believe the correct term is Research and Development but I prefer the title DCTeam DIY Projects or to be more accurate Lens Lottery Hobbyist.
As a DIY improvement then it may make sense, but I don't expect Viofo to use an IR lens in a normal camera due to cost, unless they manage to find a good IR lens that doesn't cost more than a normal lens. At one time that would have been impossible but lens technology has been improving...

The F1 and G3 lenses will be too wide angle for normal dashcam use?

I created a range of MODs for different Owner preferences, try all Stable versions to find one that matches your Lens Focus and needs.
Wondering why your IP is from Sweden but listed country USA ? How many accounts do you have on DCT?

Maybe because of the VPN?

Maybe because of the VPN?
Anyone with selectable VPN servers would never choose Sweden, its one of the most monitored countries in the world.

I'm 007 :p. If it makes you feel better I can set my country to Sweden :cool:.

I'll see what I think of Stock then give your firmwares a go if I'm not satisfied. Really have appreciated your assistance. I think if I do the 4UJ would be my top choice.

Last edited:
Anyone with selectable VPN servers would never choose Sweden, its one of the most monitored countries in the world.

Very very wrong. Many ISPS in Sweden do not log traffic, refuse to hand over any and all personal data on users to the government, and are one of the most secure places in the world. Look up the ISP Bahnhof. They literally advertise themselves as keeping no logs or records. And have told the Swedish Government Screw you on many of occasions.

Plan to also remove the expensive GitUp F1 and G3 Lenses to see if they fit on the A129 sensor board.
I'm using an A129 F1.6 140deg lens on a GitUp F1 with reasonable results.
I have considered trying the now spare 170deg F1 lens in an A129 one day.

Sadly the Danish ISPs did not do that. but i think the logging have stopped again.
But when the ISPs just keeled over that easy one time they probably do again, and i am sure the Americans are stripping just about anything that pass thru a fiber optic cable here, if not now then when the data centers of various big companies are build and the fiber across the Atlantic strait to some black bunker in Maryland.

Some VPN company just started to run commercials on TV here, almost knocked me out of my computer chair when i saw that.

Sadly the Danish ISPs did not do that. but i think the logging have stopped again.
But when the ISPs just keeled over that easy one time they probably do again, and i am sure the Americans are stripping just about anything that pass thru a fiber optic cable here, if not now then when the data centers of various big companies are build and the fiber across the Atlantic strait to some black bunker in Maryland.

Some VPN company just started to run commercials on TV here, almost knocked me out of my computer chair when i saw that.

Yep. Making Sweden's privacy laws fantastic. Because the Big ISPS (Bahnhof for one among others) have stood up to the government and said NO way NO HOW are you getting our user's data. If we don't keep logs, we know nothing. And anything we do retain isn't handed over.

+1

Back