VIOFO A129 non-IR 1080p Modified Firmware MODs Archive

My Bitrate MODs work at 60fps + 30fps. The confusion occurs when owners expect the same resolution options from single Front camera mode after connecting Rear camera.
The grammar police may prefer "60fps or 30fps" but thats too many extra letters.
Ok no worries, I really appreciate you making these fw’s for us! Looking forward to checking the 4Uj footage, and then trying 7Uj. (y)

Take MOD-6Uj for a test drive and compare against your own previous stock footage.

Code:
                               Firmware v1.50                  Modified FW 4Uj
                          1080@60fps     1080@30fps         60fps+30fps     1080@30fps
Menu                      Single Cam      Dual Cam          Single Cam      Dual Cam
Settings                    Front       Front    Rear         Front       Front     Rear
Bit Rate Low               20.1Mbps     10.2     10.1        24.6Mbps      24.5     20.1
Bit Rate High                20.1       16.3     16.2          24.6        24.4     20.3
BR Low Wifi 2.4Ghz           20.1        8.0      7.0          24.5         8.3      6.9

Is this chart still accurate or outdated? If I am reading things properly, stock firmware only gives Front Camera a Low of 10.2 and a high of 16.3? And Rear a low of 10.1 and High of 16.2?

Seems quite low...So any mods from this forum would be a significant improvement over stock bitrates? So even if I went to the 6UJ at 26 / 18 or 7UJ 27/17... It's still above the stock firmware allotment for the rear cam at 16.2?

Last edited:
Is this chart still accurate or outdated? If I am reading things properly, stock firmware only gives Front Camera a Low of 10.2 and a high of 16.3? And Rear a low of 10.1 and High of 16.2?

Seems quite low...So any mods from this forum would be a significant improvement over stock bitrates? So even if I went to the 6UJ at 27 / 17... It's still above the stock firmware allotment for the rear cam at 16.2?
You mean 7Uj!

You mean 7Uj!

Corrected. I meant 6UJ or 7UJ. Thanks. 6UJ at 26/18 and 7UJ at 27/17. If I understand the chart right... Neither bitrate actually reduces rear camera since the max on rear is 16.2?

If what I am saying is accurate, I'm going to grab the 7UJ and load it on my camera.

Posted a question on your chart. Should be on page 29. Let me know answer when you see please. And I'll choose proper mod to load.

Far as CFL filter, I think I am going to leave it on. Daytime gets a bit of halo effect but it improves the night time glare from neon signs, car lights, etc. Without CFL at night, things become a big blur due to my tint. Anyway testing done want to boost front camera either to 6uj or 7UJ....if I am reading your chart right.

Seems quite low...So any mods from this forum would be a significant improvement over stock bitrates? So even if I went to the 6UJ at 26 / 18 or 7UJ 27/17... It's still above the stock firmware allotment for the rear cam at 16.2?
Yes, 4Uj was the first MOD firmware that unlocked higher bitrate in dual channel mode. Stock FW is 16Mbps front and back in high bitrate setting. Latest MOD options allow combinations of front + back = 44Mbps, such as 22+22, or 24+20.

Yes, 4Uj was the first MOD firmware that unlocked higher bitrate in dual channel mode. Stock FW is 16Mbps front and back in high bitrate setting. Latest MOD options allow combinations of front + back = 44Mbps, such as 22+22, or 24+20.

O nice. Well then I will grab the 7UJ and load it onto my 130 FOV tomorrow. Does the increased bitrate cause a heat issue? I.E. What about in the hot summer.. Will this fry the camera at all or are all these within a safe limit?

it will run hotter at higher bitrates

What about stability? And has anyone run the modded firmwares in a summer climate. 85 Degrees / 29C? And less we not forget, outdoor temperature isn't the same as an enclosed car. Where 85 Degrees and a sun beating down could turn the car's interior temperature to 40C+.

So before I jump on the Modded Firmware bandwagon, I want to make sure I won't be frying my new camera or it's electronics.

What about stability? And has anyone run the modded firmwares in a summer climate. 85 Degrees / 29C? And less we not forget, outdoor temperature isn't the same as an enclosed car. Where 85 Degrees and a sun beating down could turn the car's interior temperature to 40C+.

would be good if they only got up into the 40's, we've measured 80°C interior temps on a 25°C day

would be good if they only got up into the 40's, we've measured 80°C interior temps on a 25°C day

And your camera has functioned without flaw in 80C with modded firmware running at 44Mbps?

we do test cameras at those temps, I don't have anything running those bitrates though, that will bring added heat into the equation

And your camera has functioned without flaw in 80C with modded firmware running at 44Mbps?
For the sake of clarity, the A129 is not his camera :)

The A129 MOD FW with 44Mbps has only been around since December. Hopefully someone in the southern hemisphere can comment on running the camera at this bitrate through the summer.

For the sake of clarity, the A129 is not his camera :)

The A129 MOD FW with 44Mbps has only been around since December. Hopefully someone in the southern hemisphere can comment on running the camera at this bitrate through the summer.

Or someone in Australia comments about running camera in hot weather. It is now full blown summer in Australia with upper 20s and low 30 C. (80s Degrees Farenheit).

we do test cameras at those temps, I don't have anything running those bitrates though, that will bring added heat into the equation

Exactly....this doubling the bitrate which is bound to cause the camera to run hotter.....

So the question remains is the camera stable at 44Mbps in hot summer weather or will the camera burn itself and die?

Exactly....this doubling the bitrate which is bound to cause the camera to run hotter.....

So the question remains is the camera stable at 44Mbps in hot summer weather or will the camera burn itself and die?
Not really doubling. Stock FW is 16+16=32Mbps. MOD FW is up to 44Mbps.

Not really doubling. Stock FW is 16+16=32Mbps. MOD FW is up to 44Mbps.

Yes and no... Range is 10-16 on both Cameras.....so 32Mbps... ... Is the 44Mbp a constant bitrate? If so then you are doubling since the Stock is variable from 10-16.

Yes and no... Range is 10-16 on both Cameras.....so 32Mbps... ... Is the 44Mbp a constant bitrate? If so then you are doubling since the Stock is variable from 10-16.
The camera has a menu setting for bitrate, where you can choose high or low. The video is recorded at a constant bitrate as per the table below - it is not variable.

The camera has a menu setting for bitrate, where you can choose high or low. The video is recorded at a constant bitrate as per the table below - it is not variable.

View attachment 44737

Understood now. So I'm running mine on high at 32Mbps. So if I downloaded 6UJ... Front would go 16.3 ---> 26 and Rear 16.2 --->18.... Or 7UJ 16.3 --->27 and Rear 16.2 --->17

Now the question remains about stability in hotter climate... Will the increase in bitrate cause the camera to die prematurely or malfunction during hot summer days.

So I tried 4Uj today, increases 2 minute file size on the front camera from 240mb to 370mb! But I can’t really see any difference in quality, so I’ve loaded 7Uj and will try it out tomorrow!

Back