VIOFO A129 non-IR 1080p Modified Firmware MODs Archive

I tested the 7UJ on my camera and it didn't play nice with my tint. Guessing the Tint + CFL is just an overall bad combination and nothing to do with firmware itself. Higher bitrate made image almost unviewable in my instance. Very grainy and dark both night and day. I'll have to grab some video off and post a pictures. Flashed back to stock unfortunately. Other option would have been to remove CFL and see if it was any better in day or night through tint alone. But the CFL helps cut some of that night glare.

I'll have to grab some video off and post a pictures.
Showing video or pictures usually makes it a lot easier than trying to describe what you are seeing. I've never seen higher bitrate make a video worse, but then I don't have a tint so I can't visualise what is going on with your video.

Showing video or pictures usually makes it a lot easier than trying to describe what you are seeing. I've never seen higher bitrate make a video worse, but then I don't have a tint so I can't visualise what is going on with your video.

Definitely going to grab some screen shots and post. I deleted videos off my phone so have to download them again. Mod does change sharpness, so not sure if that has any effect. Anyway stay tuned, I will post some photos.

changed Sharpness from 128 to 123 to set High/Strong level.
- increased Edge Detection from 128 to 132.

My honest guess is that the increased bitrate shows more details, and because the image is darked by tint + CFL, it ends up turning to graininess instead of clarity.

Guessing the Tint + CFL is just an overall bad combination and nothing to do with firmware itself.

The fact that the problems you were experiencing by combining a CPL and your vehicle's windshield tint has nothing to do with the firmware or menu settings and that doing so is a bad idea was clearly explained over two weeks ago. Glad too hear you're finally "guessing" this to be the case.

The fact that the problems you were experiencing by combining a CPL and your vehicle's windshield tint has nothing to do with the firmware or menu settings and that doing so is a bad idea was clearly explained over two weeks ago. Glad too hear you're finally "guessing" this to be the case.

I asked about the swirl and was instructed the Tint + CFL was causing the issue. This was even before I modified the firmware. I didn't argue with people about that issue what so ever. I simply asked why I was getting a circular reflection and that was explained. You'll see the light issue on both screen shots. So yes, it exists BECAUSE OF THE light reflecting off the tint and messing with the CFL Filter.

It's hard to show on captures, but it appears to be more grainy with modified firmware. Again, NOT the firmware's fault and stems from to adjustments in sharpness + higher bitrate picking up more noise due to CFL + TINT.

So I can either remove the CFL and try Firmware to see how it reacts with ONLY the tint. Or just remain on stuck with there is less noise because less sharpness and lower bitrate.

Last edited:
Very similar to the defect of the windshield, which manifests itself in these conditions.
Could you change the camera position and re-bring screenshots?

Created new A129Duo - STABLE version 4Un
ChangeLog >
https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/p/download-a129-mod-file.html
This Public Stable MOD has +4 increased color Saturation. View the ChangeLog for full details.
Requesting Test Footage comparing 4Un to Stock 1.50 FW with CPL On, once verified will release full range of Bitrates for both Lens types.
Higher Bitrate MODs improve image detail and increase MP4 video clip size.

FWA129_MOD-4Un_v1.50+24F+20RMbs+Sharp123+Edge132+Sat36+DCTeam.bin > Download 4Un

---
MOD Install Guide: https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/
Dashcam Advice: https://viofo-dash-cam-selection-advice.blogspot.com/

DCTeam - CEO/CEH/CDO/DRD/DSP/IQE/PDU/SFC/LLS
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/BCHobbyist

Last edited:
changed Sharpness from 128 to 123 to set High/Strong level.
- increased Edge Detection from 128 to 132.

My honest guess is that the increased bitrate shows more details, and because the image is darked by tint + CFL, it ends up turning to graininess instead of clarity.
The stock Viofo FW has sharpening at 128, which is a bit too sharp and results in halos around objects. The modified FW reduces this to 123 or 120, and also adjusts edge detection, which gives a more natural look to the video. And yes, that does have the effect of increasing apparent detail. Or, to put it another way, it retains some detail that the Viofo FW loses through over-sharpening.

The stock Viofo FW has sharpening at 128, which is a bit too sharp and results in halos around objects. The modified FW reduces this to 123 or 120, and also adjusts edge detection, which gives a more natural look to the video. And yes, that does have the effect of increasing apparent detail. Or, to put it another way, it retains some detail that the Viofo FW loses through over-sharpening.

I flashed back to stock but think I'll give a modified one more go without the CFL. See how the adjusted sharpness and edge detection look at night sans the CFL. I'm in a tricky situation and just trying to see what works best.

A: CFL + Tint = Halo Effect - Stock but better night vision
B: Tint sans CFL = Good Daytime but Night Reflections
C: CFL + TINT on Modified looked pretty bad on video. It was hard to read signs and plates

So Option D and I should have done this before flashing back..But no big deal... Trying Tint + 6uj or 7UJ and seeing how it does without that CFL at night

Thanks for sharing the images. Apart from being a bit unsightly in the corners, do the swirls affect any important details that would be required for dashcam video evidence?

e.g. Are street signs distorted? Are the colour of traffic lights affected?

With Modded Firmware, The CFL Filter + Tint make objects very hard to read (plates. signs, etc) Snapshots didn't really show that except in the blue sign. It's fuzzy. That's how signs looked in motion.

As above, going to try 6UJ or 7UJ without the CFL for day and night time recording. And see what I think. Then decide what setup is best.

With Modded Firmware, The CFL Filter + Tint make objects very hard to read (plates. signs, etc) Snapshots didn't really show that except in the blue sign. It's fuzzy. That's how signs looked in motion.

As above, going to try 6UJ or 7UJ without the CFL for day and night time recording. And see what I think. Then decide what setup is best.
What does "CFL" stand for?

The blue sign is fuzzy due to motion blur, the only solutions are either to slow down, or to catch more light, and the only way to catch more light is to remove the tint. Not sure why you want to look through something with coloured patterns in anyway!

What does "CFL" stand for?

The blue sign is fuzzy due to motion blur, the only solutions are either to slow down, or to catch more light, and the only way to catch more light is to remove the tint. Not sure why you want to look through something with coloured patterns in anyway!

The CFL creates a Polarizing Effect (Right Term???) over the tint. So I'm trying to determine which of the above options reduces glad and gives me the most optical picture for day and night.

Using the CFL with Modified Firmware didn't do as well as expected. Tomorrow I'll test with Modified and without CFL. See what I think and report back.

Note: My tests have NOTHING WHAT SO EVER to do with BCHobbyists workmanship on the firmware. I am merely trying to see what setup works best for me.

it's CPL, circular polarizer/linear
Don't think he is listening!

Presumably a linear polarising filter would not show the coloured patterns from the tint? The patterns being a result of the tint circularly polarising some of the light.

Don't think he is listening!

Presumably a linear polarising filter would not show the coloured patterns from the tint? The patterns being a result of the tint circularly polarising some of the light.

... I am listening and I meant to say CPL and I understand it's from the tint. But the camera only picks up the polarizing effect when the CPL filter is attached.

Last edited:
Back