VIOFO A129 non-IR 1080p Modified Firmware MODs Archive

Hello, I tried FWA129_MOD-PWk_v1.90+ParkingMode+Sharp64+Dice and use following setting:
TLR: off, Loop: 3min, motion detect: off, g-sensor: low, park mode: auto event, park g-sensor: high, park motion: low, freq: 50hz, wifi: off.
The result is as follow:

Driving mode record does not result in 3 minutes file but random result like this:
06:33:58-06:34:36 (00:37)
06:35:17-06:37:53 (02:36) -missing 41 seconds
06:38:36-06:39:55 (01:20) -missing 43 seconds
06:40:13-06:41:54 (01:42) -missing 18 seconds
06:42:19-06:43:00 (00:41) -missing 25 seconds
As you can see it ranges from 37 seconds to 2 minutes 36 seconds and has record gap/missing 18 to 43 seconds.

Parking mode record result OK 3 minutes, with gap/missing slightly (I forgot to take note how long).

My question: Are both of these mode results normal for Pwk mod and setting?
As I thought "auto event" meant it only save/record when there is motion or g-sensor detection.

Thanks before guys.
Those non-3min clips can be caused by Parking Mode not switching to Normal Mode while driving if connected to Power Bank ---or--- not selecting DEFAULT SETTINGS after every Firmware change.
Troubleshoot the memory card and power source by repeating the test with only one change ---- load official Viofo v1.90 Firmware then test again.
Parking Auto Event Detection Mode does NOT work reliably using Power Bank.
Select Parking Low Bitrate Recording Mode if using Power Bank.

Those non-3min clips can be caused by Parking Mode not switching to Normal Mode while driving if connected to Power Bank ---or--- not selecting DEFAULT SETTINGS after every Firmware change.
Troubleshoot the memory card and power source by repeating the test with only one change ---- load official Viofo v1.90 Firmware then test again.
Okay, I will test using the official firmware for a couple of days and share the results once I did.
Thanks.

Card is capable, have you checked it for errors, reset it etc?
As soon as I bought it a couple months ago I double tested and it passed in flying colors.
By "reset" do you mean "format" it on the dash cam?
If so, yes I always do a format as soon as new firmware installed.
I will test it again once testing with the official firmware done.
Thanks.

to reset it use SDformatter and do a full overwrite, then format in the camera before you use it again
Okay, will do that.
By the way, previously I use PC to format cards and the only option is exFAT and NTFS (I chose exFAT). I remember reading that I should use FAT32, is there any performance problem/difference if I use exFAT instead?

Okay, will do that.
By the way, previously I use PC to format cards and the only option is exFAT and NTFS (I chose exFAT). I remember reading that I should use FAT32, is there any performance problem/difference if I use exFAT instead?
The camera does not support exFAT, if you use PC, you can use the GUIFORMAT tool.

All VIOFO dashcams require microSD memory card to be formatted with FAT32 partition, nothing else will allow video recording. All new memory cards I've ever tested regardless of exFAT can always be Formatted inside the dashcam.

Using latest MOD-7WI had the camera lock up on pressing the bluetooth button. Turned off and on again and file missing entirely (fortunately no accident involved).

SD card = Sandisk high endurance 256gb

Admittedly I did go from MOD-5WI to MOD-7WI only resetting the settings, (not using a paperclip). (Did use a paperclip when going to MOD-5WI).

Using latest MOD-7WI had the camera lock up on pressing the bluetooth button. Turned off and on again and file missing entirely (fortunately no accident involved).
SD card = Sandisk high endurance 256gb
Admittedly I did go from MOD-5WI to MOD-7WI only resetting the settings, (not using a paperclip). (Did use a paperclip when going to MOD-5WI).
my A129 1080p Duo with 28 Mb/s Bitrate MOD works perfectly with remote and locks current recorded clip even when pressing Bluetooth remote from 15 feet away. I always leave WiFi off.

Viofo Bluetooth Remote indicator light
red LED = Bluetooth remote isn't paired to dashcam will not connect.
blue LED = Bluetooth remote is correctly paired to dashcam and locks current clip.
blinking red then blue LED = long press Bluetooth remote to initiate connection.

undocumented limitation for all Viofo Dashcams with protected RO folder containing read only video clips = once a single protected locked clip is saved to RO folder the Dashcam reserves 30% of memory card total capacity for more protected clips reducing space for normal drive recording clips.
** IF ** the memory card is more than 80% full or normal drive clips and RO event is triggered ** and ** another drive/parking/g-sensor/remote clip is saved it ** can ** stop recording sensing the card is full until Loop setting overwrites oldest file. This is most noticeable by message remaining on screen prompting to overwite/delete files causing lockups or lost footage.

I already tried the official 1.90 firmware for almost 2 weeks with the same setting as I used for the mod before.
There is too much bug in this firmware:
-From parking to driving mode doesn't switch at all (keep at parking mode)
-After parking a while, the cam just stop to record at all when I am 100% sure there is a motion as I parked in my office front yard which has medium activity
-During driving mode I bumped into a lot of speed trap and kept getting the beep with exclamation sign although driving g-sensor already off, and there is no "locked" clip save at all

Do any of you guys use official 1.90 with auto event detection and got good results?
If yes, could you share your full cam setting?
I will try using low bitrate for the next week meanwhile and see what other problem this firmware give.

PS/note: I use blackvue power magic pro hardwire kit due no Viofof hardwire kit available in my country at the time I bought the cam

I already tried the official 1.90 firmware for almost 2 weeks with the same setting as I used for the mod before.
There is too much bug in this firmware:
-From parking to driving mode doesn't switch at all (keep at parking mode)
-After parking a while, the cam just stop to record at all when I am 100% sure there is a motion as I parked in my office front yard which has medium activity
-During driving mode I bumped into a lot of speed trap and kept getting the beep with exclamation sign although driving g-sensor already off, and there is no "locked" clip save at all

Do any of you guys use official 1.90 with auto event detection and got good results?
If yes, could you share your full cam setting?
I will try using low bitrate for the next week meanwhile and see what other problem this firmware give.

PS/note: I use blackvue power magic pro hardwire kit due no Viofof hardwire kit available in my country at the time I bought the cam
The A129 new buffered Parking Mode requires the proprietary Viofo 3-wire Hardwire Kit with mini-USB end connected to dashcam side port not the GPS mount.
The non-buffered Parking Low Bitrate Recording Mode works with any 5 volt power source and can be powered from GPS mount.

Last edited:
The A129 new buffered Parking Mode requires the proprietary Viofo 3-wire Hardwire Kit with mini-USB end connected to dashcam side port not the GPS mount.
The non-buffered Parking Low Bitrate Recording Mode works with any 5 volt power source and can be powered from GPS mount.
So you mean without Viofo's HW kit I'm done hoping to get buffered parking mode?
O well, guess I have to stick with LBR mode than... Thanks.

So you mean without Viofo's HW kit I'm done hoping to get buffered parking mode?
O well, guess I have to stick with LBR mode than... Thanks.
The camera will still enter Auto Event Detection (buffered parking mode) without the 3-wire kit, it just needs constant power and 5 minutes of no motion before parking mode engages. The Viofo hardwire is the more reliable option as it’s automatic as soon as the car shuts off, plus it has low voltage cutoff protection.

How do I know what sharpness to use\try? Or is it trial and error?

How do I know what sharpness to use\try? Or is it trial and error?
It all depends if the Lens was perfectly focused during assembly. Suggest using Strong/High Sharpness first then decide if object edges are clear without excess halo outlines.

The camera will still enter Auto Event Detection (buffered parking mode) without the 3-wire kit, it just needs constant power and 5 minutes of no motion before parking mode engages. The Viofo hardwire is the more reliable option as it’s automatic as soon as the car shuts off, plus it has low voltage cutoff protection.
Okay, well noted. Gonna use low bit rate mode for now as I don't want unreliable recording as that is the number one priority when using a dash cam. Thanks :)

Back