Viofo A129 Plus Duo does not power on/start in my car.

Finally we will discover that also this camera is not working. Stay tuned!

Finally we will discover that also this camera is not working. Stay tuned!
I do t enjoy trolling ! Will you explain ? When a technician installs the cameras and it worked fine for 2 weeks and then if it died I would first think it is the camera problem. Now if it is done by a guy on the street who knows nothing then I would first believe that it was done improperly. It turns out that I wasn’t wrong ! I tried all there is including trying with a replacement camera , mount and cables and I was guided by pros including you on this forum and I read their instruction in the package and the instruction viofo gave me . It is the hardwire cables that is the problem and that is not powering the camera. Now my only concern is will the same technician at best buy be able to fix the hardwire cables? Is the hardwire kit with the cable bad or did they not properly hardwire them? Why did the hardwire cable stop powering the camera after 2 weeks? When asked about fuses , they said they fused the hardwire kit internally and no external fuses was used or needed. It was a brand new hardwire kit . After they installed it the camera powered on for 2 weeks until it died. Thanks

Last edited:
You can tell if the GPS is working by viewing a file- it should have the location coordinates visible as a letter followed by string of numbers and the numbers will change as you're car is moving. It can take a minute or two for the GPS to "lock" onto the satellites so view a file from mid-drive, not at start-up

There is some history involved with the power ports on these cams. When the mount was developed it was for a single-channel cam, so powering through the mount meant it was easier to remove the cam to protect against theft. There was already a power port on the cam and it was left intact rather then redesigning it. In the first version there were issues when powering through the mount so it was re-designed. When the 2-channel cam version came about, the rear cam had to be plugged into the front cam, reducing the benefit of putting power through the mount. Usually it worked OK with power going to the mount but it was soon discovered to be more reliable to have power going directly to the cam. So for all A119/A129 type cams, we recommend power be applied directly to the cam, not through the mount. The GPS in the mount will still receive power this way so nothing is lost.

Phil
This is my experience as well unfortunately. With the power plugged into the GPS mount it works mostly but there's times it doesn't power on so I have to be aware of it and reseat the power cable and then it powers on. I ran the power cable neatly to the GPS module port. The camera port is further down so I'll have to adjust the whole cable run for like an inch or so more slack, and that sucks.

To the OP of this thread, rip the entire thing out and start from scratch, seriously. I've never read anyone so hopelessly lost in such a simple install of a dashcam. Frankly you should consider not having one. If you can't get up to speed by reading directions for the simplest of things you've been asking, such as which wire goes where to the camera power ports, quite literally you shouldn't have the technology in the first place. Forget hard wiring altogether. Forget parking mode. I can't even imagine you could adjust those settings in camera if everything else was working. Run the two cables like a million other people do and who show you how in YouTube video and plug the f'ing the into the cigarette lighter type port and...done. One would think done but you my friend seem to find a way to undo yourself. Good luck. Apparently you're gonna need lots of it.

Reactions: Mtz
This is my experience as well unfortunately. With the power plugged into the GPS mount it works mostly but there's times it doesn't power on so I have to be aware of it and reseat the power cable and then it powers on. I ran the power cable neatly to the GPS module port. The camera port is further down so I'll have to adjust the whole cable run for like an inch or so more slack, and that sucks.

To the OP of this thread, rip the entire thing out and start from scratch, seriously. I've never read anyone so hopelessly lost in such a simple install of a dashcam. Frankly you should consider not having one. If you can't get up to speed by reading directions for the simplest of things you've been asking, such as which wire goes where to the camera power ports, quite literally you shouldn't have the technology in the first place. Forget hard wiring altogether. Forget parking mode. I can't even imagine you could adjust those settings in camera if everything else was working. Run the two cables like a million other people do and who show you how in YouTube video and plug the f'ing the into the cigarette lighter type port and...done. One would think done but you my friend seem to find a way to undo yourself. Good luck. Apparently you're gonna need lots of it.
I have everything figured out such as what cable is for what port and I know the settings and all. I have read the instructions as well and I have followed the guidance of some who had me try everything. Also this is not the first dashcam . I had dashcam in my previous car. So the finding is there is nothing wrong with the camera or the mount . I tried with car cig lighter cable to power on and it works fine . At this moment the problem is with the power cable of the hardware kit . The power cable from the hardwire cable doesn’t power on camera . I tried with new mount and new camera but the hardware power cable still doesn’t power on the camera. It fails to power on my camera . Now I am not gonna remove the hardware kit. I am not familiar with hardware kits. I am soon going back to the auto technician to look at the hardwire kit and the power cable . If I go back there I won’t be charged since I have already paid them for the first installation.

Last edited:
I have everything figured out such as what cable is for what port and I know the settings and all. I have read the instructions as well and I have followed the guidance of some who had me try everything. Also this is not the first dashcam . I had dashcam in my previous car. So the finding is there is nothing wrong with the camera or the mount . I tried with car cig lighter cable to power on and it works fine . At this moment the problem is with the power cable of the hardware kit . The power cable from the hardwire cable doesn’t power on camera . I tried with new mount and new camera but the hardware power cable still doesn’t power on the camera. It fails to power on my camera . Now I am not gonna remove the hardware kit. I am not familiar with hardware kits. I am soon going back to the auto technician to look at the hardwire kit and the power cable . If I go back there I won’t be charged since I have already paid them for the first installation.
You confirmed the findings seven pages ago through two cameras now. I'll give you this, you have a ton of patience. I do wish you a good outcome. For me, the only way I'd choose hard wiring is for parking modes which I don't use. I run the front wire to the utility socket in a way that keeps it neat so hard wiring for me wouldn't equal neater. Frankly, I trust the longevity of dash cams so little that I want them easily replaceable, not wired in. Time will tell if this viofo can go further than any previous dashcam I've owned - longest about the two year mark.

@viofo Back at the bestbuy auto technician to look at the issue with hardwire cable not powering on my dashcam. I showed him how the car charger cable powers on my dashcam fine through the mount port or the USB port on my camera . Waiting for him to look at. Update: the guy said the hardwire cable in the fuse box was bent and he straightened bit out and now the hardwire cable is powering on the camera . He says they don’t use any fuse to hardwire. I didn’t much understand what he was saying but I did take one picture. The hardwire power cable if inserted to USB port on the camera doesn’t power on the camera . It powers on if the hardwire power cable is plugged in to the port on the mount . Viofo told me I can do either one to power on the camera .

Attachments

• 336911F2-6078-4B2C-B356-5DE3292FBE4F.jpeg
    336911F2-6078-4B2C-B356-5DE3292FBE4F.jpeg
    486.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
your photo shows they haven't used a fuse tap, unfortunately it doesn't show how they have connected it so not that helpful, I guess if it's working is the main thing, sounds like it was an issue with their install though regardless

your photo shows they haven't used a fuse tap, unfortunately it doesn't show how they have connected it so not that helpful, I guess if it's working is the main thing, sounds like it was an issue with their install though regardless
The guy said he connected or something like that to the ignition . He said there is no need to use fuse taps! The reason for hardware power cable not powering on my camera was that it was bent and he straightened it out! So my question to you pro is did he hardware the camera or not ? If you don’t use fuse taps it is not a hardwire installation?

The guy said he connected or something like that to the ignition . He said there is no need to use fuse taps! The reason for hardware power cable not powering on my camera was that it was bent and he straightened it out! So my question to you pro is did he hardware the camera or not ? If you don’t use fuse taps it is not a hardwire installation?
I'm not surprised that happened.
It is possible they used wire t-taps like the ones in the image and they are typically used when installing alarm systems. The preferred way should have been the use of fuse tap to protect the circuit from fire hazard. I just hope they didn't strip the wire , wrapped thee other wire around and used electrical tape to finish it off, but I don't think they where that slopy. Also those guys are not very well trained and it is rare they get to install dashcams as they are not widely used here in the states yet. Therefore they are fairly unfamiliar with the way they should be wired for proper operation at star up/ shutdown.

shopping.jpeg

Yes I remember the guy saying he did it the same way car alarm is installed . I told him I was told by many that you have to use fuse to properly hardwire dashcams but he said yes some prefer that way but he said nothing else was used except for the hardwire kit that I gave him with the camera . So right now the Dashcam powers on fine if plugged in to the gps mount port but not on the USB port on the camera itself . I don’t care which way since viofo told me I can do either way but my concern is that same problem will happen again with the hardwire kit cable not powering on my camera. I can go there again to have it done free or charge as it has warranty on labor charge but big hassle to have to go there again . The thing is dashcam in USA and in our state is extremely unpopular or hardly anyone uses it so the installer don’t have much of an experience in dashcam installation. They are good at installing car alarm and new music stereo sound systems but not dashcam.

my concern is that same problem will happen again with the hardwire kit cable not powering on my camera.
Those t-taps are fairly secure and I think now you will be ok. Though I personally prefer to see an adequate fuse (3 amp size) for safety.
It is likely the line they used is fused at a higher value.

Those t-taps are fairly secure and I think now you will be ok. Though I personally prefer to see an adequate fuse (3 amp size) for safety.
It is likely the line they used is fused at a higher value.
They have many locations and with availability of appointments, I can go to any location . Should I buy a fuse tap or fuse or whatever it is and then go to one of the other location to reinstall using the fuses? I still don’t know what fuse it is some say mini and some say micro . In the parts I searched online it shows mini and some show micro 2. I guess I should buy the one that has the mini and micro 2 both . Little more expensive but I want to be sure .

They have many locations and with availability of appointments, I can go to any location . Should I buy a fuse tap or fuse or whatever it is and then go to one of the other location to reinstall using the fuses? I still don’t know what fuse it is some say mini and some say micro . In the parts I searched online it shows mini and some show micro 2. I guess I should buy the one that has the mini and micro 2 both . Little more expensive but I want to be sure .
Based in the picture you posted earlier of the fuse box, it looks like it uses mini fuses but to be sure you could go to any local autozone, advance autoparts or O'Reilly and they will be able to help you. They would even come out to your car and check the fuse box to reconfirm what you need if you ask them to. Then ask for the 3 amp fuse (Usually they come in a little variety pack). Good to keep them in your glove compartment as spare for any other circuit that may blow in the future.

Mate I know that you have been through a lot to try and sort this out but that is a very shoddy piece of work. They have literally just pushed the wire into the connector harness apparently. I have tried to zoom in and point with arrows but it also appears the blue wire going into the yellow wire. I have no idea if that makes any difference though but I can assume wiring is inverted and you may not have parking mode work adequately even though regular power supply will be maintained.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210108-213042~2.png
    Screenshot_20210108-213042~2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
Based in the picture you posted earlier of the fuse box, it looks like it uses mini fuses but to be sure you could go to any local autozone, advance autoparts or O'Reilly and they will be able to help you. They would even come out to your car and check the fuse box to reconfirm what you need if you ask them to. Then ask for the 3 amp fuse (Usually they come in a little variety pack). Good to keep them in your glove compartment as spare for any other circuit that may blow in the future.
Do you think they sell the fuse taps that is needed for car dashcams? Just go there and mention you need 3m fuse taps but don’t know which one and you need them to show you ? Thanks .

Do you think they sell the fuse taps that is needed for car dashcams? Just go there and mention you need 3m fuse taps but don’t know which one and you need them to show you ? Thanks .
Just go there and tell them that you need a fuse tap and some 3 ampere fuses (not 3m). Mention to them that you aren't quite sure if your vehicle uses the mini or micro fuses and that if someone is willing to come out to your car to help you determine that.
If it helps you can show thep this picture so they understand exactly what you are talking about.
By the way, what state do you live in? Just curious. If you where my neighbor I would definitely help you installing it.
5a2d2f80-bc70-4886-b811-dc3345b18ac1.JPG

I am in Chicago. There are more criminals driving around in stolen vehicles with illegal guns then dashcam users for sure. If enough people have dashcams they can provide evidence easily on most cases I believe. Too many criminals going around in this city carjacking or robbing people on streets. Maybe with all this endless car jackings, dashcam use is more important for me I believe. What do you think? So many ride share drivers and food delivery drivers are also getting car jacked . Lol! Crazy.

I am in Chicago. There are more criminals driving around in stolen vehicles with illegal guns then dashcam users for sure. If enough people have dashcams they can provide evidence easily on most cases I believe. Too many criminals going around in this city carjacking or robbing people on streets. Maybe with all this endless car jackings, dashcam use is more important for me I believe. What do you think? So many ride share drivers and food delivery drivers are also getting car jacked . Lol! Crazy.
I have been there before and yes, some areas are pretty bad. You only live there or go there if you have no other choice or absolutely have to.
Regardless where you go there will always be some sort of crime activity and one must have to be aware of their surroundings and prepare the best possible.

Just go there and tell them that you need a fuse tap and some 3 ampere fuses (not 3m). Mention to them that you aren't quite sure if your vehicle uses the mini or micro fuses and that if someone is willing to come out to your car to help you determine that.
If it helps you can show thep this picture so they understand exactly what you are talking about.
By the way, what state do you live in? Just curious. If you where my neighbor I would definitely help you installing it.
View attachment 54948

Is that the fuse tap they sell for dashcam use I am going to auto zone

Back