Viofo A139 Pro 4K Front + FHD Inside + FHD Rear

Also you should explain to the people what I said to TonyM about HDR. Of course if you agree with that. Even TonyM who is an experienced user believe that A139 Pro will create pure HDR videos.
Sometimes I ask questions on DCT so that everyone can learn from the answer, even when I probably already know the answer

Has anyone done a heat test on the new 4K version?

Just wondering if the new sensor creates more heat?

The A129 4K has this problem i believe but that is a different sensor.

Great to see the Starvis 2 implemented.

Is it using DOL HDR or the clever Clear HDR?

Has anyone done a heat test on the new 4K version?

Just wondering if the new sensor creates more heat?

I included this in my thread on the A139 Pro:

A139 Pro - Case Temps

The A139 Pro's front camera case can get a bit warm while the front camera is configured to record 4K 2160P 24fps or 4K 1600P 30fps video. The outdoor temperatures in my location have tapered off a bit over the past several weeks. Most of my testing was with outside temps in the 70F/21.1C to 80F/26.6C range. During today's test trip, outside temps were in the mid 50F/10C range.

Today, the upper portion of the A139 Pro front camera case had temps in 155F/68.3C range. The area around the buttons was a bit warm to the touch with temps in the 115F/46.1C range.

1667804882321.png

The feedback from VIOFO on a question I had as to why the 3-channel configuration was limited to a maximum of 24fps for all three cameras when the 4K 2160P resolution was selected for the front camera was that it was to keep the heat output within reasonable limits.

Today, the upper portion of the A139 Pro front camera case had temps in 155F/68.3C range. The area around the buttons was a bit warm to the touch with temps in the 115F/46.1C range.
Thanks for the reply.
I guess the next question regarding heat might be, did you have the car heater on and do you think that might have contributed to the high temperature readings?

The temperatures seem really high based on what you have recorded.
It will be interesting to see how it copes with 40 Celsius.

When do you get your next hot spell?

Thanks for the reply.
I guess the next question regarding heat might be, did you have the car heater on and do you think that might have contributed to the high temperature readings?

The temperatures seem really high based on what you have recorded.
It will be interesting to see how it copes with 40 Celsius.

When do you get your next hot spell?
I did have the car's automatic climate control system on to maintain the temp in the passenger compartment at 68F/20C. The HVAC system was not pumping out any heat and certainly not towards the upper/middle section of my front windshield. I was observing similar temps with the A139 Pro several weeks ago when it was warmer outside. The weather in Norther California, USA has gone into full fall/winter mode which means cool evening and daytime temps. The heat will return next year in April-to-June time frame.

We don't have particularly high temps in the UK - my A129 Pro has never had any issues

I haven't received the new model but it wouldn't get heat stressed here much. Luckily the US states can suffer somewhat in the heat (well, not luckily.... you know what I mean, lol....)

Paul.

The A139 Pro's front camera case can get a bit warm while the front camera is configured to record 4K 2160P 24fps or 4K 1600P 30fps video.
The heat must come out somewhere, and the A139 doesn't have much in the way of air vents, or sides, and there is a windscreen mount in the way on the glass side, so most of the heat will exit through the "front", where the screen would be on other cameras. The A139 case does have a decent amount of surface area, and the image sensor is in an almost separate module with separate cooling, I don't think there is anything to be concerned about.

The A139 case does have a decent amount of surface area, and the image sensor is in an almost separate module with separate cooling, I don't think there is anything to be concerned about
I never had any issues with my A139. Even when the car was parked in the sun with parking mode enabled it always worked.
However, we don't have these crazy high temperatures in Germany like some people get in the US.

I was a bit surprised they went with this A139 housing for a 4K camera. but most of all as i am not a super big fan of the wider A139 housing, CUZ in my car while i can mount on dotted area, the part that peek out below will be larger / more visible as it is winder than wedge shaped cameras.

Also if you have a sensor array on the windscreen and you have to mount offset to a side of it, the A139 housing will be better on one side than the other due to its asymmetric sensor location.
Then again i can also think of at least 1 case where the A139 housing design would be a +

Otherwise testing the A139 i had absolutely no problems, but it did not see the high temperatures of the past summer, but i am pretty sure it would have done perfect for regular operation, only parking guard would i be a little apprehensive about.
Then again testing the A229 this summer and for sure expecting it to shout down due to heat before the 3 hour timer kicked in, and it did not do so as it filmed every second for those 3 hours, that was a surprise to me, CUZ that day was almost a record temperature day here so dont get any hotter here.

I never had any issues with my A139. Even when the car was parked in the sun with parking mode enabled it always worked.
However, we don't have these crazy high temperatures in Germany like some people get in the US.
I haven't heard of many heat issues with any A139, and the processor in the standard version is a fairly high spec. one, similar to the A129 Pro which did have some heat issues, so I think the case design, and lack of a screen (which blocks internal air movement), is a good design from a heat point of view.

Of course the A139 Pro is not proven yet, so some people may like to wait for data from the upcoming Australian summer, but I'm not expecting issues, and Viofo should be getting quite experienced in design and testing for heat from high spec. processors and sensors now. That is why the A129 case will not be used for the high spec. A229 Pro.

Of course the A139 Pro is not proven yet, so some people may like to wait for data from the upcoming Australian summer, but I'm not expecting issues, and Viofo should be getting quite experienced in design and testing for heat from high spec. processors and sensors now. That is why the A129 case will not be used for the high spec. A229 Pro.
I haven't heard anything heat related for the last few cameras like the A139 or the T130.
Hopefully the A139 Pro won't change this. But we will see what users report here.

A139 Pro - Case Temps

You have a factory sample so it is possible that in latest month of preparing the A139 for production the cooling system to be modified.
Usually temperatures on samples are not the same as production units.

I think the idea from Viofo is to have a 4K solution in every model range.
So with this they have a 4K solution in the A119 range and so dont need to expand more on that range of systems ( normally the single channel systems ) and then 2 and 3 channel in the A139 model, so if they also make a A229 PRO that will cover 4K for dual systems normally the A129 / 229 series.

The old 4K systems i assume will be phased out now, at least i personally see no reason for keeping those around, even if you could sell them at a lesser price, and so not compete with your hallmark 4K model.

In general / personally i am only interested in 2 channel systems ( front & rear ) driving ride share are illegal here so i would never get a need for the uber ( interior ) camera

I would very much be interested in a 3 channel system if i could use the 2 remote cameras as side cameras, but i think to do that good you would need to make special side camera housings, and if possible also use lenses a little wider FOV than the norm for front & rear cameras.
That way i could have such a system + a dual channel system and have full 360 coverage + redundancy on the front with 2 cameras there, i say this as in my car with its windscreen layout that would be no problem, i am aware many new cars having 2 cameras on a already " busy " windscreen is a tall order.

The main thing i think now at least in the A139 range is to have firmware's custom for every version, this way running the 2 channel version it is not just a gimped 3 channel firmware, so even if it is just 2 channels it would still have same bitrates as 3 channel model just be down 1 camera.
And of course the single channel model, that one should at least have the option for ( compared to 2 - 3 channel ) blazing high bitrates as you can spend it all on that one camera.

If your 1 channel 4K / A139 camera had the same bitrates as the 2 and 3 channel models,,,,, that would be ridiculous in my mind, and it would be a turn off for buying the system.

I would be very interested in a blazing bitrate 4K front camera, the only thing that would turn the sides of my mouth down a little might be if it was still using little memory cards,,,,, even if it supported 1TB memory cards, for such a thing i would much prefer a 2 TB NVME drive, and i also recon a fast enough one of those i could still get cheaper than a 1 TB memory card.
CUZ you would not need the very latest NVME drives for something like that, pretty far from that actually.

Just checked in 1 store ( proshop ) here, and the cheapest 2TB NVME drive is a crusial P2, the cheapest 1TB micro SD card is the sandisk ultra, both cost about 161 USD
The next cheapest 1TB micro SD card is the team group elite, but then you are a few USD more expensive, and still if they are fast enough are questionable, and you dont have to go many cards up from the cheapest ones before the price are around 268 USD and higher.
The cheap crusial P2 NVME drive are about 2000 MB/s read / write so without a doubt plenty fast.

The A119 Pro was a high-resolution version of the A119, in the same physical housing
The A129 Pro was a high-resolution version of the A129, in the same physical housing
The A139 Pro is a high-resolution version of the A139, in the same physical housing
It has been suggested that the A229 Pro will be a high-resolution version of the A229, in the same physical housing

If you want 4K Starvis 2 and like the A139 body shape, buy the A139 Pro
If you want 4K Starvis 2 and prefer the A229 wedge, wait for the A229 Pro

P.S. There may be small differences in the housing, ventilation and internals etc. between pro and non-pro models, but my point remains the same

If possible and the SOC have the I/O to do it, have the storage remote in a housing you could hide somewhere, i have seen some offer this ( Gnet ) with one of their models.
Then you could still have a very reasonable sized camera.
Or you could go full remote and just have the sensor board remote, but i am not sure if this could work with a high performance ( high bitrate ) system, though i do assume that what come from the sensor is what it is, and the bitrate " multiplier" if you like are added later.

I also suppose the general software for dashcams are linux, so there should be a option to use NVME and the additional features they might have over a regular Micro SD card ( wear leveling ASO )

Of course you then need to have a way to get footage off the system, this could be nice fast wifi, or simply just a USB A slot you plug a fast thumb drive into.
Some sort of smart backup would be nice so you dont DL the same footage again and again, but should be possible to do some kind of "flag" to indicate at what date / time the footage was last backed up, so you only DL footage created after that.

You have a factory sample so it is possible that in latest month of preparing the A139 for production the cooling system to be modified.
Usually temperatures on samples are not the same as production units.
The A139 Pro with the IMX678 STARVIS 2 image sensor was sent to me on 30-Sep-2022. I've not been informed of any internal changes between the unit I have and the upcoming production units.

I hope Vifio release an IMX678 STARVIS 2 for A229 Pro or similar one with 4K front and 2K/1080 rear around next Summer.
I want a model with a LCD display :)

Last edited:
I hope Vifio release an IMX678 STARVIS 2 for A229 Pro or similar one with 4K front and 2K/1080 rear around next Summer.
I want a model with an LCD :)
I imagine it will keep the 2K rear, and the LCD, and the rest is a good guess :)

Back