Viofo A229 - Maximum memory card size.

Karagandinez

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Dash Cam
Viofo & Vantrue
Can anyone tell me the maximum size of the memory card for the A229?
Not declared by the manufacturer, but real. :unsure:

The only way to know is for those who are testing(or own) this dashcam to report what MicroSD card that they used. (size, manufacturer, and model...Ex: 256GB SanDisk Max Endurance)
I would guess that anything over 256GB would be questionable...Might work, might not work, might work for a few months.

We have this to go by from the A139: The last page is more relevant as some people came back to say their high capacity card is no longer working.

Last edited:
Not declared by the manufacturer, but real. :unsure:
Viofo say 256GB in the specifications, if you try more than this then it may work, but don't complain if there are unexpected problems!

With the other Viofo cameras, there are a few people using 512GB cards, but they may not work in all circumstances. For example there have been problems with in camera playback from large cards even though recording has been fine, and there may be a file count limit, so maybe it works fine with 5 minute recordings, but not with 1 minute recordings, and maybe it still works OK with 1 minute recordings as long as you don't use a parking mode which would result in a huge increase in file counts. There are too many potential issues for anyone to be sure that it works fully with 512GB cards, however you are welcome to take the risk and report the results. Just check fairly regularly that you are actually capturing things and don't complain if you lose something important!

The only way to know is for those who are testing(or own) this dashcam to report what MicroSD card that they used. (size, manufacturer, and model...Ex: 256GB SanDisk Max Endurance)
I would guess that anything over 256GB would be questionable...Might work, might not work, might work for a few months.

We have this to go by from the A139: The last page is more relevant as some people came back to say their high capacity card is no longer working.
What is stated by the manufacturer, I read.
The A139 claims 256GB, but 512GB works without problems. Complaints only about 1TB memory cards.

The A139 claims 256GB, but 512GB works without problems. Complaints only about 1TB memory cards.
It is very likely to be the same in the A229 as for the A139, but not guaranteed as there are a few differences. The A229 will probably record less files, so may be able to cope with larger cards better than the A139, especially if you use maximum bitrate and 5 minute file size.

It is very likely to be the same in the A229 as for the A139, but not guaranteed as there are a few differences. The A229 will probably record less files, so may be able to cope with larger cards better than the A139, especially if you use maximum bitrate and 5 minute file size.
I think so too, but there is no way to check.:(

One person in that thread stated that his 512GB card stopped working. That may just be limited to that particular brand/model however as there are no other reports from a different 512GB brand/model failing. He posted a picture of his card.
That poster is also a Viofo tester and has tested some Viofo pre-released cams (T130 and maybe A139?) to my understanding?

One person in that thread stated that his 512GB card stopped working. That may just be limited to that particular brand/model however as there are no other reports from a different 512GB brand/model failing. He posted a picture of his card.
That poster is also a Viofo tester and has tested some Viofo pre-released cams (T130 and maybe A139?) to my understanding?
It all depends on the memory card itself. I have two identical memory cards, bought on the same day, work differently.
I have information from another major forum on DVRs and there were no problems with A139 with 512GB memory cards.

So far i am just 1 card into testing the A229 duo, and that is a 256 GB WD purple of the old fast kind not the QD101 branded ones that are slower.

I am not in a place where i could get one or even more 512 GB cards to do testing with. i also personally feel that 256GB are fine for me, but then again i also just use parking guard for 1 hour when i park

Back