Agie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
70mai S500, A229 Pro, VS1, Nexus 4 Pro, S1 Pro, A119 v3v2v1
After having released their previous Sony Starvis 2 IMX675 solution in the A119 Mini 2, Viofo is back at it again with the VS1 in an even smaller form factor! It begs the question though, do we really need a screen on a dash camera? Let's investigate (special thank you to @viofo and @VIOFO-Support).

Viofo VS1 (Novatek NT96565, Sony Starvis 2 IMX675) Review

IMG_20240316_143518.jpg

IMG_20240316_143205497_HDR~2.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------
Firmware: V1.0_240105. These were the firmware versions loaded onto the device from the factory – I did not receive any further updates during the testing period.

App for testing: Android version 3.2.14, obtained from Google Play Store.
-----------------------------------------------------

The verdict:

When going about this review, I thought that no screen would be an issue for me, as I am used to screened solutions. Especially when there is the A119 Mini 2 in Viofo's own stables. Arguably, the A119 Mini 2 is the more mature solution having been on the market for a while now. But with the two very close in price, do you need a screen when the VS1 performs so well without one? I'd say no, considering how smooth the setup and operation process of the VS1 is.

Coming back to the video quality and overall package of the VS1, Viofo has once again knocked it out of the park. The packaging is better, the styling is better, the experience is better. Viofo continue to build upon their strengths, and provide the best dash cameras in the industry. You won't regret your purchase.

My nitpickings:

• Niggly firmware bugs (black screen issues / Wi-Fi button not engaging toggle behaviour correctly / random beeps when using app)
  • CPL filter, when? (EDIT: coming soon according to Viofo, would have liked it at launch though)
  • Sorry Viofo, where is the volume control for spoken voice notifications?

The positive:

• Video quality is absolutely fantastic in all lighting conditions, with Viofo again pushing the high bitrates to extract the maximum out of these Starvis 2 image sensors
  • Absolutely TINY unit, easy to install and remains almost hidden in plain sight. Loving the tilt capability to adjust the position of the camera
  • The new packaging from Viofo is sleek and minimalist, and a great move by including a microSD card in the box
  • Just as many dash cam settings as Viofo's bigger brothers & parking mode works well with the Viofo HK-5 USB-C hardwiring kit
  • Heat dissipation solution working on-point, as the VS1 performs well even in high temperatures

Last edited:
Viofo VS1 Dash Camera Sample Footage:

Daytime Footage: 2.5K max bitrate, HDR off:

Daytime Footage: 2.5K max bitrate, HDR on:

Night Footage: 2.5K max bitrate, HDR on:

Night Footage: 2.5K max bitrate, HDR off:

When going about this review, I thought that no screen would be an issue for me, as I am used to screened solutions. Especially when there is the A119 Mini 2 in Viofo's own stables. Arguably, the A119 Mini 2 is the more mature solution having been on the market for a while now. But with the two very close in price, do you need a screen when the VS1 performs so well without one? I'd say no, considering how smooth the setup and operation process of the VS1 is.
I find that no screen makes no difference, I forget that my A139 doesn't have one. It does require good voice notifications though, so that when you press the mute button, or wifi button, you know if you have turned them on or off. Viofo's voice notifications are always very good, in fact better than a screen because you don't need to put your reading glasses on while driving, but no screen doesn't work so well on other brands. The other issue is that if the app was to become unavailable, or inoperable because you couldn't log on to the server for some reason, then there would be no access to the setup. That has never been a problem with Viofo, their app doesn't require login in to their server, even for installation, and it seems to work with all the older dashcams, but that has been an issue for other brands.

You have another really good quality VS1 lens! The VS1 doesn't seem to be able to see quite as far as the A119 Mini 2 when you are reading plates, but it is always really good image quality.

...do we really need a screen on a dash camera?
You do if you don't want WiFi or cloud capabilities in your camera.

You do if you don't want WiFi or cloud capabilities in your camera.
A fair point but I think that since it's begun already, most to all lower end dashcams will have wifi going forward since it's cheap to implement. No screen = smaller form factor is a big positive, in my eyes at least.

I find that no screen makes no difference, I forget that my A139 doesn't have one. It does require good voice notifications though, so that when you press the mute button, or wifi button, you know if you have turned them on or off. Viofo's voice notifications are always very good, in fact better than a screen because you don't need to put your reading glasses on while driving, but no screen doesn't work so well on other brands. The other issue is that if the app was to become unavailable, or inoperable because you couldn't log on to the server for some reason, then there would be no access to the setup. That has never been a problem with Viofo, their app doesn't require login in to their server, even for installation, and it seems to work with all the older dashcams, but that has been an issue for other brands.

You have another really good quality VS1 lens! The VS1 doesn't seem to be able to see quite as far as the A119 Mini 2 when you are reading plates, but it is always really good image quality.
Some very good points I think you nailed there. Decent lens for sure with the VS1, 25MBps bitrate across all video scenarios which is pretty good stuff.

Of course I prefer running the A229 Pro in my car for overall video quality, BUT for a discreet tiny solution, the VS1 delivers and I'm quite fond of it already so it'll stay in my car for sure.

...most to all lower end dashcams will have wifi going forward...
Different strokes for different folks, but if wifi/bluetooth is a requirement for basic operation of the camera (ex. setup) it's immediately on my 'do not buy' list. More features = more complexity, more complexity = less reliability and reliability is the most important feature of any dashcam (also the second and third most important ;) ). In many cases simplicity is best.

Different strokes for different folks, but if wifi/bluetooth is a requirement for basic operation of the camera (ex. setup) it's immediately on my 'do not buy' list. More features = more complexity, more complexity = less reliability and reliability is the most important feature of any dashcam (also the second and third most important ;) ). In many cases simplicity is best.
Of course but you'd imagine at this stage with electronic devices, that simple things as wifi operation are figured out by the manufacturer at launch. Bluetooth is for sure, I've noticed that with phones over the years we are at a pretty mature stage and wifi should be too (but not always)....

I dont need a screen but like if there is one there, even if most times i can not read it.
Really need to get a pair of reading glasses for my car, CUZ if there is a screen i would prefer using it over reaching for my phone i just do not like touching.

Last edited:
...but you'd imagine at this stage with electronic devices, that simple things as wifi operation are figured out by the manufacturer at launch. Bluetooth is for sure, I've noticed that with phones over the years we are at a pretty mature stage and wifi should be too (but not always)....
You'd imagine - but imagination and reality are two different things (even the Bluetooth in my cars and home entertainment system are not 100% reliable). When it comes to products where reliability is, or at least should be, THE most important feature (dash cams, pace makers, insulin pumps, etc.) you should be making that a priority over all else.

It's not just the primary product itself (dash cam in this case) but it's also everything else that goes along with it. Without a screen you now need in addition to the camera 1) a network connection, 2) an app and, 3) a device of some sort - none of which are free. (If the app is provided 'free' with the product rest assured the development, maintenance, and distribution costs are baked into the product.) Now instead of having one entity that needs to work reliably (the camera) you have 4 in order to have basic functionality, which comes with 4 times the number of failure points. What started out seemingly as a convenience suddenly becomes a burden.

No screen = smaller form factor is a big positive, in my eyes at least.

Yes, I agree with this thinking. This is one of the reasons I am such a big fan of the Mobius cameras which are hands down the tiniest dash cams available.

While a few of the Mobius models have WiFi that allows you to view a live image on your phone, there is nothing quite like having a real screen if and when you need one. Since Mobius cameras are designed as FPV cams as well as being dash cams, they have the ability to be hooked up to a monitor (with audio and power) via an inexpensive auxiliary AV wiring harness. This is a great feature that I have found invaluable at times depending on the particular project I'm using the camera for, as well as for aiming the camera during installations.

I would love to see @viofo add this capability to the VS1 but I recognize that it would add some costs to the manufacture and perhaps not that many people would find the feature useful to them, even if some of us would love to have it.

pod_set-up.jpg

While a few of the Mobius models have WiFi that allows you to view a live image on your phone, there is nothing quite like having a real screen if and when you need one.
If I want a "real screen", then I think I prefer the live view over wifi onto a tablet, or laptop, screen rather than that old analogue TV system with lots of cables.

Early wifi tended to be slow with time lag, so useless for FPV, but the VS1 has much faster 5GHz wifi, same as your A119 Mini 2. Probably still no good for racing drones, but perfectly good for a dashcam.

If I want a "real screen", then I think I prefer the live view over wifi onto a tablet, or laptop, screen rather than that old analogue TV system with lots of cables.

Early wifi tended to be slow with time lag, so useless for FPV, but the VS1 has much faster 5GHz wifi, same as your A119 Mini 2. Probably still no good for racing drones, but perfectly good for a dashcam.

Yes Nigel, we've had this "discussion" before. Sounds like you want to have it all over again which would certainly be par for the course? I recall that last time you even suggested dragging a full sized PC out to your vehicle rather than plugging in a small portable monitor on a simple short cable. :LOL: Most examples don't require the sort of elaborate cable set-up like the example I provided on the tripod. And not everyone owns an expensive tablet or laptop.

The VS1 aside, not every camera has WiFi. A couple of months ago I used one of my DIY flat platform mounts to reinstall one of my A119 V3s in the rear window of my truck. Since the camera's screen ends up at an awkward viewing angle with the mount, I used the camera's AV out with the 7 inch HD monitor I have and it was the perfect, convenient solution for accurately and quickly aligning and aiming the camera.

Last edited:
You'd imagine - but imagination and reality are two different things (even the Bluetooth in my cars and home entertainment system are not 100% reliable). When it comes to products where reliability is, or at least should be, THE most important feature (dash cams, pace makers, insulin pumps, etc.) you should be making that a priority over all else.

It's not just the primary product itself (dash cam in this case) but it's also everything else that goes along with it. Without a screen you now need in addition to the camera 1) a network connection, 2) an app and, 3) a device of some sort - none of which are free. (If the app is provided 'free' with the product rest assured the development, maintenance, and distribution costs are baked into the product.) Now instead of having one entity that needs to work reliably (the camera) you have 4 in order to have basic functionality, which comes with 4 times the number of failure points. What started out seemingly as a convenience suddenly becomes a burden.
Bluetooth in cars often uses hell-old Bluetooth standards - my 2020 Kia uses Bluetooth 3.0 which is just mind-boggling but that's the pace of development and cost-cutting in that industry!

I know someone with an insulin pump and they too have stuck with their older solution instead of new-fangled units for similar reasons that you state. I agree that reliability is no.1 for a dashcam but it's a double edged sword - you can miss out on technological advancements / ease-of-use improvements by shunning too.

I don't think there's going to be a one size fits all approach to this issue, and companies with their forced obsolence of their products will drive the user to having to purchase a newer solution anyway. One just hopes that the reliability factor increases to a point where failures are a negligible number in the grand scheme of things.

Yes, I agree with this thinking. This is one of the reasons I am such a big fan of the Mobius cameras which are hands down the tiniest dash cams available.

While a few of the Mobius models have WiFi that allows you to view a live image on your phone, there is nothing quite like having a real screen if and when you need one. Since Mobius cameras are designed as FPV cams as well as being dash cams, they have the ability to be hooked up to a monitor (with audio and power) via an inexpensive auxiliary AV wiring harness. This is a great feature that I have found invaluable at times depending on the particular project I'm using the camera for, as well as for aiming the camera during installations.

I would love to see @viofo add this capability to the VS1 but I recognize that it would add some costs to the manufacture and perhaps not that many people would find the feature useful to them, even if some of us would love to have it.

View attachment 71366
Digging that setup there, always nice to see alternative use cases that work well :)

...you can miss out on technological advancements / ease-of-use improvements by shunning too...
Tech advancements are meaningless if they don't do anything to improve the basic function of a dash cam, which is to reliability records events as they are happening to a sufficient degree to determine if I, as the driver, am at fault. A 1080 30fps front only camera will suffice for that.

What is easier than inserting a memory card, turning on the ignition and driving away? Anything more than that is bells, whistles and marketing hype (BS) when your talking about the primary function of a dash cam which is to reliability record events as they are happening. If you have the latest and greatest camera with 4k, 3 channels, Wifi, Bluetooth, cloud connectivity, and ADAS that overheats and shuts down 10 seconds before an event happens all those features AND the camera itself are useless. Simple is better.

Tech advancements are meaningless if they don't do anything to improve the basic function of a dash cam, which is to reliability records events as they are happening to a sufficient degree to determine if I, as the driver, am at fault. A 1080 30fps front only camera will suffice for that.

What is easier than inserting a memory card, turning on the ignition and driving away? Anything more than that is bells, whistles and marketing hype (BS) when your talking about the primary function of a dash cam which is to reliability record events as they are happening. If you have the latest and greatest camera with 4k, 3 channels, Wifi, Bluetooth, cloud connectivity, and ADAS that overheats and shuts down 10 seconds before an event happens all those features AND the camera itself are useless. Simple is better.
Many people have no way of reading that memory card without wifi.

For somebody who uses a phone, not a computer, the way to access the recorded footage is from the phone via wifi. If they need to send the video to the insurance company or police then they will download it using the phone app over wifi and send it direct from the phone. Why would they want to bother with a complicated computer and card readers and microSD cards, and then presumably use old fashioned email to send the files, only to find that email can't send files that big... much easier to use the phone!

I have a 70mai Omni 360° dashcam; there is no memory card, it doesn't work as a card reader, the only way to access the video seems to be to use the phone app... simple basic functionality with no complicated extras like microSD cards and readers! You don't even need to know about wifi, don't have to turn wifi on at the dashcam (even when it is off), don't need to select the wifi connection on the phone, or any of the other complicated stuff, it is all sorted for you.

And now a bit of a showdown between the Viofo VS1 and Vantrue S1 Pro @viofo @VIOFO-Support @Jeff_Vantrue

Viofo VS1 vs. Vantrue S1 Pro shoot-out!

I know it's not a direct comparison since Vantrue doesn't have a screenless dashcam solution (yet), but thought I'd at least show up these two Starvis 2 IMX675 dashcams against each other. The rear camera of the S1 Pro was not included for obvious reasons. Additionally, one thing to note is the Vantrue records at 2.7K (2592x1944) as opposed to the Viofo, which records at 2.5K (2560x1440) only.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Firmware (both current at time of testing):
Viofo - V1.0_240105
Vantrue - VT-ECK301

Audio
Viofo - 63kbps, 1 channel mono, 16kHz
Vantrue - 63kbps, 1 channel mono, 16kHz

My thoughts (updated 24th March 2024):

Upon reviewing the daytime videos first, it has become apparent that Viofo has applied a lot of sharpening to the footage. This has already been actively reported to Viofo and acted on in beta firmware, but no public firmware updates have been made available as of the time of writing. This came to me as a bit of a shock, as I expected Viofo to take the win here out of the gates. Licence plates and other details are still just as readable as they should be with the Viofo's footage, but it is unpleasant to look at in some instances. The higher bitrate of the Viofo does not assist here.

Turning our attention to night footage, we see a similar situation play out in front of our eyes. Both dash cameras are seemingly neck-and-neck with each other when it comes to capturing details, how they handle the exposure and halos from street lights. I expect this to change in the coming months when Viofo issues further firmware updates to the VS1, as it is comparatively immature compared to the A119 Mini 2 (the other IMX675 in their stable).

As I said in my standalone reviews of the VS1 and S1 Pro, I like these two dashcams for differing reasons. I make no secret of the fact that I prefer the colour processing of Vantrue's dash cams. Even though the VS1 is still in a buggy state, I have to still give it the win for the overall package, but Vantrue should be commended for yipping at its heels.

If Vantrue can continue its momentum it has built up in the last year or so, Viofo has some interesting competition on its hands :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks @viofo and @VIOFO-Support for another firmware update for this fantastic dashcam :)

Viofo VS1 Firmware Update
  • Release date: 2024-03-26
  • Version: V1.0_240307
  • File size: 53.1M

Changelog:
  • IQ optimised
  • Increase the G-sensor sensitivity on the High option
  • Fix other bugs

Here's some footage from the Viofo VS1 after the latest V1.0_240307 firmware that was released publicly a few days ago. I have noticed that the aggressive sharpening that was present on the last firmware has been toned down somewhat, whilst not sacrificing licence plate and other details in the videos. Still early days in the VS1's lifecycle - looking forward to seeing the firmware mature as time goes on.

Daytime Footage: 2.5K max bitrate, HDR off (new V1.0_240307 firmware):

Night Footage: 2.5K max bitrate, HDR on (new V1.0_240307 firmware):

Back