VIOFO's A119S

Not in the case of the old MBP's or iMac's.

Mine was newer than Moon's. Double the RAM, VRAM and a SSD but still struggled with 60 FPS in QT, VLC and MPlayer. Wouldn't play H.265 even though VLC fully supports it on OSX.
that's what i meant. none of your mentioned players would play well the video.
none.
I think it's a video player problem.

F.W V. 2.0 Parking Mode Beta - 1080p @ 60 FPS, WDR - On, CPL - No.

An inadvertent test of Parking Mode at a traffic signal.

Please lower the volume on your device. Subwoofer - ON. Parking Mode kicks in a little after 1:35.

No motion detected in the centre of the frame for 1:30, camera switched Parking Mode (set to 15 FPS.). Went back to Recording Mode (60 FPS) on sensing motion.

Screen stays OFF when the A119S switches back and forth from Recording Mode to Parking Mode. Colour of the Power button LED changes from red to green while in Parking Mode.

A gap of almost two seconds in the video when the A119S switches from Parking Mode to Recording Mode.

Looks like the motion sensitivity is set quite low, there was movement on the sides for most of those 90 seconds. Seems to be favouring the centre portion of the image or probably it was the distance from the moving objects. Thoughts?

Takes a while to react to motion and switch to Recording Mode while in Parking Mode, there was movement on the immediate sides of the car behind mine but still took a while to acknowledge the motion and switch back to Recording Mode.

Known bug still present - not switching to Parking Mode if there's a lot of movement around the car post coming to a halt. Behaving exactly how motion-detect was on 1.6 and how it's currently on the Beta for the A119.
-----

Looks like the over-sharpening has been toned down. Looking much better to me.

Quite an update, here's the changelog -

- Added parking mode
- Improved image quality (IQ enhancement)
- Anti -erase event video protection is also done for the previous video if the event button is pressed within the first 15 seconds of the current video
- even with The off screen can be stopped by pressing the REC button directly, and turning the sound on / off when you press the MIC button. Two presses were needed before,
One to turn on the screen and the other to the pressed button function - GPS data is no longer stored inside videos if GPS is off in the camera menu. Before, though not on the screen, GPS data was saved and accessible on your computer with special programs

Last edited:
No motion detected in the centre of the frame for 1:30, camera switched Parking Mode (set to 15 FPS.). Went back to Recording Mode (60 FPS) on sensing motion.
Great video! Having just looked at the Parking Mode for the A119, I think you captured all three main states of the Parking Mode, somewhat surprisingly in traffic no less, as follows:
  • Up to 01:20:48.................Normal recording.
  • 01:20:48 - 01:20:57..........Recording gap (no recording)- probably the Standby mode, usually indicated by LCD off, red REC button light OFF, and Power button light ON dim green.
  • 01:20:57 - 01:21:15............Time-lapse recording due to motion detection, 15 fps evidenced by 2X fast motion.
  • 01:21:15 - 01:21:17.............2 second gap switching from Time-lapse to Normal recording - consistent with what I saw on A119.
  • 01:21:17 on.........................Normal recording (Edit: triggered by "soft" G-sensor - car movement).
Normal and Time-lapse recordings should be separate files I think. I presume you merged these files in your video (or not?).

Last edited:

Not working as intended. A119S doesn't acknowledge motion and keeps recording in Parking Mode (15 FPS).

1:12 - Switches from Parking Mode to Recording Mode.
2:50 - Switches back to Parking Mode.

Here's another example of just the Parking Mode clip, lots of movement but for some reason Recording mode doesn't trigger.

This one's in the driveway, again motion not sensed.

The above clip is three successive Parking Mode recordings of different lengths merged into one.

Aren't these supposed to be 90 seconds each?

Parking Mode clips are of different lengths and too many gaps in the recorded video during Parking Mode.

list.png

Again doesn't react to motion.

Reacts to change in lighting but quite slow. As mentioned earlier, sensitivity looks to be set on the lower side.

Quick Update:

I finally received my A119s via AliExpress along with the hard wiring kit. Got the Hardwiring kit tapped into my car's (VW Polo) fuse box using a fuse tap. The cam is ready to use (just waiitng the Micro SD card to arrive)!

Since all high-endurance cards are unavailable in India (available via import, but very expensive), I finally ordered Samsung Pro Plus 64GB MicroSDXC Memory Card

I hope the card will work as Samsung claims it's a great card for action camera like GoPro. However, Samsung also says that my warranty will be void if used in Dashcam. Aren't action cameras and dashcam works on the same principle? How can a dash cam can damage a card more than an action camera recording @ 4K?

http://www.samsung.com/us/computing...-pro-64gb-memory-card-w-adapter-mb-md64da-am/

Quick Update:

I finally received my A119s via AliExpress along with the hard wiring kit. Got the Hardwiring kit tapped into my car's (VW Polo) fuse box using a fuse tap. The cam is ready to use (just waiitng the Micro SD card to arrive)!

Since all high-endurance cards are unavailable in India (available via import, but very expensive), I finally ordered Samsung Pro Plus 64GB MicroSDXC Memory Card

I hope the card will work as Samsung claims it's a great card for action camera like GoPro. However, Samsung also says that my warranty will be void if used in Dashcam. Aren't action cameras and dashcam works on the same principle? How can a dash cam can damage a card more than an action camera recording @ 4K?

http://www.samsung.com/us/computing...-pro-64gb-memory-card-w-adapter-mb-md64da-am/

I have many plain old microSD cards that have been in every day dash cam service for years with no issues including the Samsung EVO 64GB (more than two years now). There's a very good chance your Samsung Pro Plus will last you quite a good long while. Always a good idea to keep a spare fresh memory card around in the event you ever need one.

Aren't action cameras and dashcam works on the same principle? How can a dash cam can damage a card more than an action camera recording @ 4K?

Obviously, action cams and dash cams are very similar. The difference is that dash cams often operate for many hours a day, every day, month after month and may record over older files repeatedly. Actions cams are more often used for recording shorter episodes during various activities. That is the difference and the reason the cards are warrantied for action cams but not dash cams or surveillance cameras.

Obviously, action cams and dash cams are very similar. The difference is that dash cams often operate for many hours a day, every day, month after month and may record over older files repeatedly. Actions cams are more often used for recording shorter episodes during various activities. That is the difference and the reason the cards are warrantied for action cams but not dash cams or surveillance cameras.
Makes sense!

Mounted the camera today on the windshield and went for a drive to the office. Honestly, I am not quite happy with the video quality. Here's the footage (around 6:15 PM, 1080p/60fs):

Mounted the camera today on the windshield and went for a drive to the office. Honestly, I am not quite happy with the video quality. Here's the footage (around 6:15 PM, 1080p/60fs):

The video is blocked, probably due to copyrighted audio. Share the RAW file via Google Drive, Dropbox etc. Youtube's encoding anyway degrades the video quality.

The video is blocked, probably due to copyrighted audio. Better to share the RAW file via Google Drive, Dropbox etc..
Just remove the sound clip, then it should be fine on youtube.

Just remove the sound clip, then it should be fine on youtube.

Yeah.. just removed the background song which was playing on the radio. :mad:. Video is now being re-processed and it might take a while. I can't access Google Drive and Dropbox right now while I am connected to the office network. Will share the raw file later.

Yeah.. just removed the background song which was playing on the radio. :mad:. Video is now being re-processed and it might take a while. I can't access Google Drive and Dropbox right now while I am connected to the office network. Will share the raw file later.

"I am not quite happy with the video quality" doesn't really explain much. What according to you is amiss about the video quality.

Last edited:
I was hoping a better clarity than what I got today. The recording is sort of grainy and objects like number plates are out of focus while the vehicle is in motion. This particular video was captured in the evening and 'not-so-great-clarity' could be because of the low lighting. I have seen dozens of videos uploaded by you (Harsh) and they look fantastic!!

I was hoping a better clarity than what I got today. The recording is sort of grainy and objects like number plates are out of focus while the vehicle is in motion. This particular video was captured in the evening and 'not-so-great-clarity' could be because of the low lighting. I have seen dozens of videos uploaded by you (Harsh) and they look fantastic!!

Still coming up as blocked..

Capturing a license plate isn't going to happen all the time, the motion blur you're looking at will vary, depends on the lighting conditions, speed and direction of travel.

Last edited:
Last edited:
1st attempt to remove the audio from video was not successful. Swapped the audio with YT suggested this time. I hope the video should be visible now:

1st attempt to remove the audio from video was not successful. Swapped the audio with YT suggested this time. I hope the video should be visible now:

I''m seeing a lot of purple in the lower half of the frame. Did you remove the protective sticker from the lens and both sides of the CPL (if attached)?

Isn't playing at 1080/60. Did you use any video editor before the upload?

Point the lens a notch lower, should improve the exposure.

RAW file will give a better picture (pun not intended).

Last edited:
Back