VIOFO's A119S

upload a raw file that others can download and check, if it's stutter free for others then you have playback issues

Tells me 'error' and file too big

I'm not familiar with the process of getting my videos on this forum.

Tells me 'error' and file too big

I'm not familiar with the process of getting my videos on this forum.

you can't upload it here, you'd need to use a file host, dropbox, filedropper, mega etc, just pick one, upload and post a link

I reckon it's the MAC QuickTime Viewer that's the problem - and can't handle the 60fps ..... can handle 30fps fine.

Prior to attempting to upload a 5 min segment ... I took note of the time into the video that the stuttering occured.

First time it was - 55 secs, 1.52, 2.13 etc
Second time it was - 35 secs, 1.05, 1.35, 1.55

So different segments were stuttering the second time I checked ... so it must be the viewer.
If it was on the SD card ... it would be the same both times.

Rather than go out and buy a New Retina 4k MAC ... I dropped it down to 30fps .... as much as I'd like the new MAC

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Won't need to get the Hardwiring done just yet. Tidied up the wiring and bought a 3 way splitter with a USB input which suits the A119s
Shame the length of power cable came up 2 1/2 inches short for a nice tidy job. Had to buy a 50cm USB extension lead that can't be hidden.
Cheers VIOFO

I reckon it's the MAC QuickTime Viewer that's the problem - and can't handle the 60fps ..... can handle 30fps fine.

Prior to attempting to upload a 5 min segment ... I took note of the time into the video that the stuttering occured.

First time it was - 55 secs, 1.52, 2.13 etc
Second time it was - 35 secs, 1.05, 1.35, 1.55

So different segments were stuttering the second time I checked ... so it must be the viewer.
If it was on the SD card ... it would be the same both times.

Rather than go out and buy a New Retina 4k MAC ... I dropped it down to 30fps .... as much as I'd like the new MAC

I had similar issues with my Mid 2009 MBP, would stutter and skip while playing 60 FPS from the M2 and H.265 was even more problematic. The newer generation machine handles both with ease.

I am new to this gig and the first time I used VLC was choppy but smooth in win 7 media......... Go figure and share thoughts

Early 2008 20" MAC - updated to el Capitan 10.11.6

Quicktime -10.4
Graphics - ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB
2.4GHz Intel Core Duo
Ram - 4GB

A new 4K MAC - drool ... Yeah Baby :P

Early 2008 20" MAC - updated to el Capitan 10.11.6

Quicktime -10.4
Graphics - ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB
2.4GHz Intel Core Duo
Ram - 4GB

A new 4K MAC - drool ... Yeah Baby :p

A 9 year old computer with a 10 year old graphics card and 4GB Ram. There's your problem.

If you're going to drool over a newer Mac why not consider a 5K Retina display iMac with Radeon Pro 580 graphic with 8GB of VRAM. Comes with 8GB Ram and is configurable up to 64GB. :)

Yeah .. a 5K Retina would be nice ... It's either that or a nice OLED TV. Hmm ... might have to think it over. Tough choice :D

Yup............ Its rubbish and OLED sounds fantastic but the fact remains that most movies are not even standard HD

A 9 year old computer with a 10 year old graphics card and 4GB Ram. There's your problem.
it's not a hardware problem, it's a video player problem.
I have a PC with WinXP on it from 2005 with about the same specs and it still runs just fine. :)

I bet it's a player and the codecs. :)

You didn't answer my question. Many people have reported playback issues at 60 frames per second. Codecs and choice of media player is an important part of the equation but without the proper graphics horsepower there are bound to be issues.

It would not surprise me that WinXP performs well. Many people, including me really miss it but finally gave up on it for security reasons and lack of further support from Microsoft.

VIOFO A119S (F.W V. 1.7) - 1080p @ 60 FPS, WDR - On, CPL - No.

The bitrate averages at 25 Mbps, still spikes up to 45 Mbps with 60 FPS. Almost 600MB for a 3 minute segment.

bt.png

bt1.png

Rear

Sunny

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0zJhXQxEOVUdE1PRzFId3NXTVk

@viofo Please tone down the over-sharpening. Footage from my other cameras is starting to look soft. o_O

---------

It's been two months with the A119S mostly mounted in the rear, haven't seen the 'XXXXXX' boxes error again.

Have had it running off the Vico Power Plus in motion detect mode a few times. Generates one minute segments on detecting motion but if there's constant motion in front of the camera when the car comes to a halt, the A119S stays in recording mode and generates the regular 3 minute files. Looking forward to the tweaked Parking Mode feature VIOFO recently implemented for the A119.

Last edited:
I bet it's a player and the codecs. :)

Not in the case of the old MBP's or iMac's.

Mine was newer than Moon's. Double the RAM, VRAM and a SSD but still struggled with 60 FPS in QT, VLC and MPlayer. Wouldn't play H.265 even though VLC fully supports it on OSX.

Back