VIOFO's A119S

I agree, it's a difficult one though as a bug you can't work out how to repeat is by far the worst type to deal with

I do understand that it can be extremely frustrating to deal with something you think you've fixed but it keeps springing back.

Flip side is, anyone who isn't aware about the current shortcoming would pull out their hair in equal or more frustration trying to figure out what's wrong with their camera.

I’m in over my head on this subject but I noticed a couple of things that might be relevant.
In on your videos I noticed an inconsistency in your GPS STAMP Setting for Coordinates and Speed.
In video 2017/10/24 at 23:10:33 your GPS STAMP is OFF
“ “ 2017/10/24 at 23:45:19 your GPS STAMP is ON (35 minutes after the previous video)
“ “ 2017/10/26 at 18:32:16 your GPS STAMP is OFF (2 days later)
Is your GPS Setting ON?
Did you change your settings during your tests?
Is your CAR NAME clear of any text? If not how many characters does it hold? I thought there was a limit of 6 or 7 allowed.
Is your CUSTOM TEXT clear of any text? If not how many characters does it hold? I don’t know the limit of characters allowed.
I recall if you use DEFAULT you have to re-enter your data again, especially pay close attention to Custom Text.
I’m not an expert by any means but the above may give a hint where to look and followup.
The video image other than Xs in a line makes me think it has to do with settings changes in Custom Text/Car Name.
I have a gut feeling you’ll solve the problem.

So I had an interesting thing happen with a A119 today. I mention it because of the possibility of it being related to this XXXXXX bug. I had a A119 return show up today that was hanging on the Viofo logo. The user said he was able start the camera normally when he first received it, but this issue occurred soon after. I knew it had the the most recent firmware, V3.3 (hanging on the logo bug was fixed awhile back), but he tried to reload it anyway. No luck. Anyway, I sent him another and had a feeling I knew what the issue was with the defective one. When I got it, I power it up and it hung on the Viofo logo. I had a feeling it was related to the ribbon cable going from the sensor to the main board. So, while stuck on the Viofo logo, I rotated the lens. Nothing happened the first time except a single white line flashed on the screen, but I did it again and the screen did that weird thing where 1/3 of the screen on the left was jumbled and 2/3rds on the right was black (or static, don't remember now :oops:). At that point I was able to enter the menu, but after defaulting the settings and restarting, it hung on the logo again. I then opened it up and found that the latch bar that holds the ribbon cable secure to the main board had somehow popped up enough to release some of the cable. There was even tape over the connector and cable holding things together. Not sure how that could have happened, but once I secured the cable, the camera started up fine.

Now while I did not see the XXXXXXX on the screen, the weird scrambled screen issue appeared. Some users just experience the XXXXXX issue, while others like @harsh have experienced the XXXXX issue and the screen issue at the same time. I'll assume they are related in some way. Maybe this firmware corruption is related to a poor connection of the sensor to the main board? This might explain why most have never had any issues, while others seem to get it multiple times.

Maybe those who have had this happen should check the connection. Maybe even re-seat the cable. Might be worth a shot.

I’m in over my head on this subject but I noticed a couple of things that might be relevant.
In on your videos I noticed an inconsistency in your GPS STAMP Setting for Coordinates and Speed.
In video 2017/10/24 at 23:10:33 your GPS STAMP is OFF
“ “ 2017/10/24 at 23:45:19 your GPS STAMP is ON (35 minutes after the previous video)
“ “ 2017/10/26 at 18:32:16 your GPS STAMP is OFF (2 days later)
Is your GPS Setting ON?
Did you change your settings during your tests?
Is your CAR NAME clear of any text? If not how many characters does it hold? I thought there was a limit of 6 or 7 allowed.
Is your CUSTOM TEXT clear of any text? If not how many characters does it hold? I don’t know the limit of characters allowed.
I recall if you use DEFAULT you have to re-enter your data again, especially pay close attention to Custom Text.
I’m not an expert by any means but the above may give a hint where to look and followup.
The video image other than Xs in a line makes me think it has to do with settings changes in Custom Text/Car Name.
I have a gut feeling you’ll solve the problem.

GPS is always on, I usually get a fix only on exiting the locality we live in.

I've never used the Car No. field and always reset to defaults after flashing any firmware.

So I had an interesting thing happen with a A119 today. I mention it because of the possibility of it being related to this XXXXXX bug. I had a A119 return show up today that was hanging on the Viofo logo. The user said he was able start the camera normally when he first received it, but this issue occurred soon after. I knew it had the the most recent firmware, V3.3 (hanging on the logo bug was fixed awhile back), but he tried to reload it anyway. No luck. Anyway, I sent him another and had a feeling I knew what the issue was with the defective one. When I got it, I power it up and it hung on the Viofo logo. I had a feeling it was related to the ribbon cable going from the sensor to the main board. So, while stuck on the Viofo logo, I rotated the lens. Nothing happened the first time except a single white line flashed on the screen, but I did it again and the screen did that weird thing where 1/3 of the screen on the left was jumbled and 2/3rds on the right was black (or static, don't remember now :oops:). At that point I was able to enter the menu, but after defaulting the settings and restarting, it hung on the logo again. I then opened it up and found that the latch bar that holds the ribbon cable secure to the main board had somehow popped up enough to release some of the cable. There was even tape over the connector and cable holding things together. Not sure how that could have happened, but once I secured the cable, the camera started up fine.

Now while I did not see the XXXXXXX on the screen, the weird scrambled screen issue appeared. Some users just experience the XXXXXX issue, while others like @harsh have experienced the XXXXX issue and the screen issue at the same time. I'll assume they are related in some way. Maybe this firmware corruption is related to a poor connection of the sensor to the main board? This might explain why most have never had any issues, while others seem to get it multiple times.

Maybe those who have had this happen should check the connection. Maybe even re-seat the cable. Might be worth a shot.

Just opened it up, cable was seated properly and both ZIF sockets were locked in place. Removed the cable from both ends and after reseating I tugged on the cable, don't see any artefacts or lines on nudging or pulling it.

Awhile back someone mentioned that manually defaulting the cameras settings did not default the Car No. field. I remember trying this and it in fact did not default that setting. Not sure why that is or if it was fixed in the latest firmware.

Awhile back someone mentioned that manually defaulting the cameras settings did not default the Car No. field. I remember trying this and it in fact did not default that setting. Not sure why that is or if it was fixed in the latest firmware.

it's not meant to reset the car no field

Really? Why would it not reset everything. Why leave just that field? Seems odd.

Really? Why would it not reset everything. Why leave just that field? Seems odd.

it's not just that field, quite a few things are not reset depending on which area of memory they are stored in, it resets menu options like recycle, timezone, language etc back to their default values

it's not just that field, quite a few things are not reset depending on which area of memory they are stored in, it resets menu options like recycle, timezone, language etc back to their default values

Is it possible to reset everything at a user level?

Now while I did not see the XXXXXXX on the screen, the weird scrambled screen issue appeared. Some users just experience the XXXXXX issue, while others like @harsh have experienced the XXXXX issue and the screen issue at the same time. I'll assume they are related in some way.
The three faces of Eve :confused:, I mean the X-box problem that I saw during my X-box episode included one with the hash and no button action but no X-boxes (see photo #3 - IMG_403 below). Since many have fixed the problem reloading the firmware, seems unlikely to be a hardware problem but you never know. However, as my problems were resolved without reloading the firmware, maybe the firmware itself is not being corrupted, unless it was able to fix itself. Don't know enough to guess what else it might be. Sorry, my better photo files of #3 face were to big to upload, but believe me, there were no X-boxes on that screen. In all three of the photos, the camera was not recording even though the REC light was steady ON. The was no blinking red dot on the status screen over-lay. When the Hash (photo #2) goes away the picture on the screen is live and active, but the camera is still not recording.
IMG_0300.JPG IMG_0371.JPG IMG_0403.JPG

@viofo

How about adding the same gear mechanism or a holder on the right too, should reduce free movement between the clicks.

IMG_0321.png

The three faces of Eve :confused:, I mean the X-box problem that I saw during my X-box episode included one with the hash and no button action but no X-boxes (see photo #3 - IMG_403 below). Since many have fixed the problem reloading the firmware, seems unlikely to be a hardware problem but you never know. However, as my problems were resolved without reloading the firmware, maybe the firmware itself is not being corrupted, unless it was able to fix itself. Don't know enough to guess what else it might be. Sorry, my better photo files of #3 face were to big to upload, but believe me, there were no X-boxes on that screen. In all three of the photos, the camera was not recording even though the REC light was steady ON. The was no blinking red dot on the status screen over-lay. When the Hash (photo #2) goes away the picture on the screen is live and active, but the camera is still not recording.
View attachment 34383 View attachment 34384 View attachment 34385
I suppose it all depends on what is causing the corruption. The camera will do all sorts of strange things when the ribbon cable isn't connected properly. It's not always the same result. Could be the degree of the poor connection. What I experienced could have nothing to do with the XXXXX issue, but I feel it's something to keep in mind. I do find it odd that most have never experienced this (including myself on my personal cameras) and those that have experienced it, have seen it multiple times.

I did this and the hissing sound is still there.

Hardware problem or software problem? The noise is not as prevalent when it has other audio to pick up.

This bothered me a little bit when I first used this camera.

Just a wild guess; maybe the mic used in the unit needs increased recording/volume sensitivity for it to record sound better? Its no big deal, to me it is only noticeable when the car is silent or quiet. It records sounds well.

Back