VIOFO's A119S

Regarding the possible X-box/Car Number link, I observed that the X-boxes appeared as part of the status over-lay, which came up shortly after the hash or picture, following a very long VIOFO logo upon startup. If the hash appeared on the left 1/3 of the screen, there were 6 X-boxes overlaying the hash, and the rest of the picture was blank except for the status over-lay. It looked like the picture was all squashed into the left 1/3 of the screen but not the over-lay. But I didn't notice the pixels changing when moving the camera. If the active live picture came up, as it did after the first manual settings default, there were 13 X-boxes associated with the status over-lay, whereas the Car Number and Custom Text Stamp have only 11 possible entries each. In neither case (hash or picture) would the camera record at that time. I also observed a car icon that is not used on the A119/S. It too was part of the status over-lay and was located where the parking mode icon normally resides just below the video recorder icon. What all this mean I don't know, but maybe it will ring a bell for the right person.

If the hash appeared on the left 1/3 of the screen, there were 6 X-boxes overlaying the hash, and the rest of the picture was blank except for the status over-lay.
Post Script: It just occurred to me (a little slow :sleep:) that the 13 X-boxes seen with an active live picture could also be present when the hash covers the left 1/3 of the screen but you just can't see them all because the X-Boxes are black, the same color as the blank part of the screen, whereas the rest of the status over-lay items are white and show up fine.

Last edited:
Did anyone ever figure out why the A119S makes that hissing/static noise when the car is silent? I looked through all the posts about this but I did not find anything regarding a solution, if there is one. Here is an example:

I second this. This hissing sound is present on all my videos (mic on, but no background music). I have connected it via USB instead of hardwiring.

@harsh - What's your opinion on where to locate the A119S - front or back, if say you have one A119 and one A119S?

Tint or no tint, IMO the A119S's superior low light performance is more useful looking out the rear.

with tint I don't think the A119 would fare too well

for front cam use I don't think the A119 night performance is at all bad, just that the A119S is better at low light

with tint I don't think the A119 would fare too well

for front cam use I don't think the A119 night performance is at all bad, just that the A119S is better at low light

I agree, for the front the A119 suffices (and then some) both day and night. Maybe not if one throws tint and a CPL into the mix.

At night the A119S is in a different league altogether, no two ways about that.

@viofo

No XXXXXX boxes this time but similar behaviour, unresponsive to clicks and the screen fades slowly on removing power. I've seen similar garbling of the screen in conjunction with the X-boxes and this one also happened on startup.

A car icon can be seen on the screen, Parking Mode, Motion Detect, LDWS and FCWS were all OFF.

Saving grace is that with this one firmware reload is not necessary, menu can be accessed by turning the camera ON without the Micro SD card and can be reset to defaults.

IMG_0358.png

Last edited:
@viofo

No XXXXXX boxes this time but similar behaviour, unresponsive to clicks and the screen fades slowly on removing power. I've seen similar garbling of the screen in conjunction with the X-boxes and this one also happened on startup.

A car icon can be seen on the screen, Parking Mode, Motion Detect, LDWS and FCWS were all OFF.

Saving grace this time is that firmware reload is not necessary, menu can be accessed by turning the camera ON without the Micro SD card and can be reset to defaults.

View attachment 34827
This is with new firmware? V2.2?

No XXXXXX boxes this time but similar behaviour, unresponsive to clicks and the screen fades slowly on removing power.
Hmmm, not good. Still work to do @viofo.
Same car icon I reported before firmware V2.2 here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/a119s-firmware-v2-1.30638/page-3#post-366854. Note that this particular car icon is not used anywhere on a working A119 or A119S, or at least I couldn't find it.
Saving grace this time is that firmware reload is not necessary, menu can be accessed by turning the camera ON without the Micro SD card and can be reset to defaults.
Hmmm, the good news, at least for folks that read Dashcamtalk. But all in all, still a serious problem.

Back