VIOFO's A119S

I really, really, really, wanted to like the A119S camera but I'm giving up. First unit had fuzzy focus on left side. 2nd unit was randomly corrupting files and stopped recording completely 3 days ago. However, camera has no beeps or any other warnings that anything is wrong. I was using a Lexar High Endurance 64GB card with it. I swapped out the card to a Transcend High Endurance 64GB card when I discovered the corrupted files. It worked for 3 days with the Transcend card corrupting about 8% of the files before it stopped recording completely.

Also, last week my 7 month old Viofo A119 died. It freezes when it is booting up and locks up with the VIOFO text displayed on the screen.

Love the features of the cameras when they work, but I've had too many reliability issues so I'm looking for something else now. For me less than 100% reliability is a deal breaker.

I really, really, really, wanted to like the A119S camera but I'm giving up. First unit had fuzzy focus on left side. 2nd unit was randomly corrupting files and stopped recording completely 3 days ago. However, camera has no beeps or any other warnings that anything is wrong. I was using a Lexar High Endurance 64GB card with it. I swapped out the card to a Transcend High Endurance 64GB card when I discovered the corrupted files. It worked for 3 days with the Transcend card corrupting about 8% of the files before it stopped recording completely.

Also, last week my 7 month old Viofo A119 died. It freezes when it is booting up and locks up with the VIOFO text displayed on the screen.

Love the features of the cameras when they work, but I've had too many reliability issues so I'm looking for something else now. For me less than 100% reliability is a deal breaker.
Viofo just released new firmware that fixes the boot freeze bug. Version 2.05 I believe.

File corruption for me was solved by using the original cable supplied by VIOFO. Have you been formatting the cards through the camera's menu?

@CaptureYourAction & @harsh - Thanks for the firmware tip. The new firmware unbricked my A119 and it seems good again now. This is the first problem in 7 months I've had with my A119. I have been using the supplied cable and periodically reformat the cards in all the cameras. (I reformat them in the camera using the camera menu Format option.)

I don't have confidence in my A119S cameras at this time so I'll probably return them. I'll go ahead and update the firmware in them too and see if the corruption problem in the one bad camera clears up.

Edit - So far the firmware update seems to have also corrected my issue with the A119S that was corrupting files and finally stopped recording. Will update after a couple of days if anything changes.

Last edited:
Hello all.
@viofo I need to report a bug. I don't know were to report so i write here :
If is activated function "Motion Detection" , when the screen saver is on, after a time , when is no motion detected, when the led is blinking the screen is powered on. After the screen server timeout is powered off and on aggain. Powe off - power on , in an loop until the motion is detected. I've tried with led on and off and is the same situation.

This is a useless power on for screen when is no motion, if is configured for motion detection I want to be "stealthy". If some one is watching in car from rear will see the screen on. Can be fixed in the next firmware release ? Thanks.

Hello all.
@viofo I need to report a bug. I don't know were to report so i write here :
If is activated function "Motion Detection" , when the screen saver is on, after a time , when is no motion detected, when the led is blinking the screen is powered on. After the screen server timeout is powered off and on aggain. Powe off - power on , in an loop until the motion is detected. I've tried with led on and off and is the same situation.

This is a useless power on for screen when is no motion, if is configured for motion detection I want to be "stealthy". If some one is watching in car from rear will see the screen on. Can be fixed in the next firmware release ? Thanks.
Hard to concentrate on what you are trying to say, maybe its just me. Are you in favour of having the screen off when motion detection is activated and screen comes on?

Hard to concentrate on what you are trying to say, maybe its just me. Are you in favour of having the screen off when motion detection is activated and screen comes on?

In other words : the screen is going on when no recording is engaged from function "Motion Detection". The screen saver is interrupted. Now is clear ?

In other words : the screen is going on when no recording is engaged from function "Motion Detection". The screen saver is interrupted. Now is clear ?

not really

I think from the earlier mention of stealthy you want the screen to stay off when in motion detect mode (as it should be) and not wake the screen when motion is detected, is that correct?

if that is what it is doing, screen coming on when in motion detect mode, then yes that would be a bug and can be fixed in firmware

Yes , the screen is coming on in motion detect mode.
After XX seconds (period = from screen server settings) is going off for short time . Then again ON for XX seconds. Over and over again ON(XX seconds)-OFF(short time).

Screen waking up in motion detect mode is a bug and can be fixed in the firmware, maybe @viofo don't know about it but I'm sure that it can be fixed

This bug will be fixed in next version which will be released soon.

Ive posted something similar that ive experienced like this with my a119s also.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Tapatalk
We will look into this.

Got the boxes error for the very first time while on V 1.2 on the 18th, just before V1.4 was released. The camera had not been recording for the past 2 days! Didn't mention it then as 1.4 was supposed to fix this.

IMAG0451.jpg

Flashed V 1.4 and reset the camera to defaults, didn't see the boxes again.

Flashed V 1.6 yesterday and saw the boxes again today.

IMAG0462.jpg

This is a serious issue that affects reliability, needs to be dealt with ASAP!

Got the boxes error for the very first time while on V 1.2 on the 18th, just before V1.4 was released. The camera had not been recording for the past 2 days! Didn't mention it then as 1.4 was supposed to fix this.

View attachment 31228

Flashed V 1.4 and reset the camera to defaults, didn't see the boxes again.

Flashed V 1.6 yesterday and saw the boxes again today.

View attachment 31229

This is a serious issue that affects reliability, needs to be dealt with ASAP!
When you reinstall the firmware, does it fix your screen as well?

When you reinstall the firmware, does it fix your screen as well?

Reinstalling the firmware brings the camera back to normal but this seems to be a temporary fix.

Have the A119S running on a power bank since reinstalling 1.6, looks to be recording normally. Will report if it acts up again.

Reinstalling the firmware brings the camera back to normal but this seems to be a temporary fix.

Have the A119S running on a power bank since reinstalling 1.6, looks to be recording normally. Will report if it acts up again.
Yes, I know reinstalling temporarily fixes the xxxxx issue, but I'm curious about why your screen in the last picture looks messed up on the left half. Does that occur with the xxxxx issue as well.

Back