When i will able to buy viofo a119 ?

the Sony is 2mp and will have better low light performance, the OV4689 is 4MP so can support higher resolutions and the smaller pixels can provide a sharper picture
I don't think they have announced which Sony sensor will be used yet or how many MP it will have?

Any idea of the approximate price difference between the A119 and A119S?

No idea how it will be priced, they're selling the current model very cheap, not sure if that's a limited offer but you'd be hard pressed to find anything else out of China comparable for the price right now

I don't think they have announced which Sony sensor will be used yet or how many MP it will have?
The info I have lists it as a 2mp Sony sensor. This camera version is still a month or 2 out though. A119 with OV4689 should be physically in stock by mid to end of next week.

Last edited:
Yes, it will come out within one week. Just update the products pictures, see below for the accessories, GPS mount is optional. For GPS version, it will come with both mounts.

So I placed an order with your website, however, I'm extremely disappointed/concerned with the security of the store software. Once someone registers, it sends out the password via e-mail! That means the password isn't stored properly in the database (they should be hashed), and is sent via an insecure method for no absolute reason to another 3rd party (e-mail) server.

Please fix this right away (editing the e-mail template is probably the quickest way, but I would just stop sending that e-mail, and contact Prestashop about this).

Last edited:
So I placed an order with your website, however, I'm extremely disappointed/concerned with the security of the store software. Once someone registers, it sends out the password via e-mail! That means the password isn't stored properly in the database (they should be hashed), and is sent via an insecure method for no absolute reason to another 3rd party (e-mail) server.

Please fix this right away (editing the e-mail template is probably the quickest way, but I would just stop sending that e-mail).
How much for shipping to the States?

How much for shipping to the States?

Shipping was free (from Singapore), but will take a few weeks. DHL was ~$26 iirc, but they warn you that there might be customs fees, and that the free option is also the fastest.

I take it then that if the Sony model is 2MP that it will be limited to 1080p rather than 1440p the regular model can do with its 4MP sensor since 1920 x 1080 = ~2M and 2560 x 1440 = ~3.7M. I'm going to be curious to see how much better the night viewing is. Any idea on differences in the field of view, and what the A119 really is? Is it really 160 degrees?

I take it then that if the Sony model is 2MP that it will be limited to 1080p rather than 1440p the regular model can do with its 4MP sensor since 1920 x 1080 = ~2M and 2560 x 1440 = ~3.7M. I'm going to be curious to see how much better the night viewing is. Any idea on differences in the field of view, and what the A119 really is? Is it really 160 degrees?
Yes, it will be 1080 resolution, but it should have maybe 1/4 the motion blur in any lighting, it is not just during night time that a high sensitivity sensor is useful.

The A119S with Sony 2MP sensor will only support 1080P 60fps, the 1440P resolution is interpolated.
We are still choosing the lens for that.

The A119S with Sony 2MP sensor will only support 1080P 60fps, the 1440P resolution is interpolated.

Sounds like an interesting unit... Wonder how the video quality is compared to the regular A119.

Perhaps i'm not understanding, but why would the 4MP model be interpolated for 1440p? Doesn't that mean the processor is making information that isn't actually captured, even though the sensor should actually support 1440p? Seems like that is a bad thing. Again, I may not be understanding.

Looking forward to the A119S though.

Perhaps i'm not understanding, but why would the 4MP model be interpolated for 1440p? Doesn't that mean the processor is making information that isn't actually captured, even though the sensor should actually support 1440p? Seems like that is a bad thing. Again, I may not be understanding.

Looking forward to the A119S though.
Correct. You're misunderstanding. It's the TWO mp model that does interpolation to make a 1440p picture using a 1080p sensor. I avoid interpolation whenever possible as it looks bad.

Correct. You're misunderstanding. It's the TWO mp model that does interpolation to make a 1440p picture using a 1080p sensor. I avoid interpolation whenever possible as it looks bad.

Oh, so what they meant is that the Sony sensor will only support up to 1080p natively, though 1440p will be able to be selected on the Sony model but it will use interpolation. The way it was phrased made me think they were saying that the Sony model wouldn't do anything over 1080p (and nothing higher could be selected) and the model that does to 1440p (the OV4689) does 1440p but it is interpolated. I'm glad that the actual situation is what it is though. Thanks for clearing that up.

i kinda wish they wouldn't even offer interpolation because it's NOT an improvement. higher fake resolution means fuzzier, less-sharp pictures, and that's the LAST thing you want in a dashcam. you want things as sharp as possible to increase the chances of capturing a license/number-plate.

I agree. I don't see any benefit from upscaling - it's just wasted power, disk storage and more heat generated.

Which Sony sensor is it?

Back