Where did you mount the camera? Post your pictures

That camera would be illegal in Australia as you cannot have a screen other than a navigation unit/radio visible to the driver

I used to have a rear view camera on my van and technically that also was illegal although they were coming to be accepted as an aid to your mirrors.

Mounted mine with a modified Garmin mount, above the steering wheel as high as possible and stay out of the window tint band. Originally I had it on the passenger side but caught myself reaching across to do something with the cam several times, so I put it where I can get to it. The visor down completely covers it from my view. Last pic is the 27-43 mm ring and a 43 mm Linear polarizer I recently installed from another member's DIY. Thanks member Belga for that tip! (BTW the screen mutes off in 2 min so no worry about an active video screen being visible to the driver. And sorry for getting posts out of order. Was having issues trying to figure out uploading pictures, gave up and used Photobucket, and deleted my previous mess :))

dashcam-mount1_zpsfd7c355b.jpg

dashcam-mount2_zps110920b5.jpg

dashcam-wnshdmnt1_zps5d6a224b.jpg

Last edited:
Ahh sorry...

Here is the DR500 mounting from the front of my A3!

null_zps629b3939.jpg
Hi there

I just stuck on my dr550gw just like you and I get those two little bubble patches
You can't do any better than that if I give it a second shot right? As in can you get a perfect fixture clear black ?

Hi there

I just stuck on my dr550gw just like you and I get those two little bubble patches
You can't do any better than that if I give it a second shot right? As in can you get a perfect fixture clear black ?

Once that pad is stuck down you can't pull off and try again..

That mount has actually been there for over a year and has held the original DR500 and also my DR550. Never had any problems!

In addition to my FineVu Pro, I use Sony HDR AS15 to capture passing scenery.

Attachments

• car.dvr.JPG
    car.dvr.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 61
Heres is my setup
WP_20131020_002[1]_big_thumb.jpg

WP_20131020_003[1]_big_thumb.jpg

I still need to hide the wires, but i will do that soon when i allso remove the last 2 cams from my old setup.

Allso i will paint my mirror flat Black to make the cam blend in more.

This is the 480P DVR 007 copy I have in my 03 Tacoma pickup.
I like this style camera and hope to find a 1080P HD that is close to this style.

Attachments

• IMG_2327.JPG
    IMG_2327.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2328.JPG
    IMG_2328.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Nice. The only thing that makes the camera more visible is the white lettering around the lens, otherwise it's as stealthy as they get. Nice shape of the camera.

I'm still thinking if there is a camera that is a box that attaches to the mirror, that would move the camera away from the window and be less visible. The camera body would need to have adjustment to compensate for the angled mirror, perhaps a selection of wedges to adjust horizontally and vertically so the camera points ahead. Another thought is the lens on a swivel but from the photos of the internal parts of the cameras, it looks like the common method of manufacture is to mount the lens on the circuit board so a swivel won't work. I'm willing to forgo the screen for this setup.

Or maybe a diversion, have "Rain Sensor" or "Collision Avoidance" painted on the front of cameras to its true purpose.

Or maybe just have a remote lens? DVR mounted in a glove box/ door pocket, even integrated into sound unit?
Then just have a tiny lens mounted in the corner of the screen.
Now THAT would be stealthy

Or maybe just have a remote lens? DVR mounted in a glove box/ door pocket, even integrated into sound unit?
Then just have a tiny lens mounted in the corner of the screen.
Now THAT would be stealthy

I'm really surprised Pioneer, Kenwood, Clarion haven't added some kind of DVR box option. That's how they do the Sirius/XM, and HD Radio. (an add-on box) They have backup cameras but that's about it. (may as well go the next step!)
I see this being an add-on at the car dealership in the near future as well. (especially if it was integrated into the mirror)

I initially fixed my Mobius to the headlining using 3M Dual Lock Reclosable Tape SJ4570. The inability to aim the camera optimally, & the weakness of the bond with the headlining material made this location impractical.

CIMG6218a.JPG

I moved it to the top of the rear view mirror. Again, the inability to aim the camera optimally made this location impractical.

Now I've mounted it as shown below. I would have preferred to attach the mount to the back of the rear view mirror, however, insufficient articulation in the ball & socket joint made this impossible.

CIMG6223a.JPG I

The mount is supplied with 3M VHB tape attached. I doubted that it would stay fixed to the headling long-term, so I used two self-tapping screws as well. Seems firmly affixed.

If anyone wants the same mount, I bought it from E-Prance. Paid US $3.20 delivered (minimum order 2) = $6.40 total Weight 29 grams each. From China to UK took 13 days.

Last edited:
Mini 0801 mounted in a Skoda Fabia. The camera was too deep to mount behind the mirror, although this didn't really matter as the mirror is light grey so it would have been really noticeable from outside. The little blue/red led is surprisingly really noticeable at night, so I have placed a tiny blob of blue-tac on there. Also changed the supplied usb "straight" plug for one with 90 degree.

DSC00020.JPG

I have an old car so I modified the color of rearview mirror from gray to black.

Here is my rear window mount and I hope the user to post in that topic the rear window mounts.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mini 0801 mounted in a Skoda Fabia. The camera was too deep to mount behind the mirror, although this didn't really matter as the mirror is light grey so it would have been really noticeable from outside. The little blue/red led is surprisingly really noticeable at night, so I have placed a tiny blob of blue-tac on there. Also changed the supplied usb "straight" plug for one with 90 degree.

With it being mounted on the masked dotted area is it not affecting the view, is the camera not picking it up ? it probably isn't, but certainly looks like it may.
I changed the adhesive pads to black and mounted mine in that area too, but the camera protrudes just enough over the edge so it doesn't show the dotted area, I assume yours must clear it too. The pic sort of makes it look like it's aiming at the dotted area. lol .which obviously it's not.

Agree about the led, it does show up quite a bit, I used a small bit of black tape, leaving just enough to still see the led but only about 20% of it, I also covered the one up I use as a security camera in one of the home windows as well as it reflected a lot against the white blinds we use, though I was a bit unsure whether having a flashing light in your home windows is a good idea or not...;-) fit in well with the xmas lights I suppose...lol

Last edited:
With it being mounted on the masked dotted area is it not affecting the view, is the camera not picking it up ? it probably isn't, but certainly looks like it may.
I changed the adhesive pads to black and mounted mine in that area too, but the camera protrudes just enough over the edge so it doesn't show the dotted area, I assume yours must clear it too. The pic sort of makes it look like it's aiming at the dotted area. lol .which obviously it's not.

Agree about the led, it does show up quite a bit, I used a small bit of black tape, leaving just enough to still see the led but only about 20% of it, I also covered the one up I use as a security camera in one of the home windows as well as it reflected a lot against the white blinds we use, though I was a bit unsure whether having a flashing light in your home windows is a good idea or not...;-) fit in well with the xmas lights I suppose...lol

You are correct, the camera does pick up some of the dotted area. Well spotted :) .Only the bottom few lines though, and only enough to show on about the top centimetre or so on the footage. It was a bit of a compromise between sky view and stealth! (Screenshot below)
Screen Shot 2013-11-18 at 19.02.23.png

You are correct, the camera does pick up some of the dotted area. Well spotted :) .Only the bottom few lines though, and only enough to show on about the top centimetre or so on the footage. It was a bit of a compromise between sky view and stealth! (Screenshot below)
View attachment 2209

That's not as much as I expected actually, its not too bad at all especially as it pretty much offers maximum camera stealth AYS, and I would imagine making it hardly visible from outside. The shaded area at the top might also help from bright light changes affecting the camera so much, and we are probably less interested in capturing low flying planes, so not an issue...lol.
The main thing is... it captures the main parts we are interest in.. IOW the road... nice one.. Think I might try that position myself. :)

azfeqe.jpg

Here is one a few days ago of my WF1. My TF2 usually sits next to it, but it was so cold that the suction cup would not stick

Back