Will this be the new H.265 dash camera processor for Mobius 2?

Viking

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
WR1, Mini 906, 2*A119S, SJDash
Company Hisilicon has made a processor call Hi3516A, which is a low power DSP H.265 encoder.
Price $25

Tom Frank told there will not use Ambarella in the new Mobius2, so will there use this one.

High light from the data sheet.

Processor Core
A7@600 MHz, 32 KB I-cache, 32 KB D-cache/128 KB L2 cache
Neon acceleration, integrated FPU
Video Encoding Performance
A maximum of 5-megapixel resolution for H.264/H.265 encoding
Real-time H.264/H.265 encoding of multiple streams:
1080p@30 fps+720p@30 fps+VGA@30 fps
1080p@60 fps+VGA@30 fps
5-megapixel@30 fps+VGA@30 fps
JPEG snapshot at 5-megapixel@8 fps
Supporting the CBR/VBR bit rate control mode, ranging from 16 kbit/s to 40 Mbit/s
Encoding frame rate ranging from 1/16 fps to 60 fps
Encoding of eight ROIs
Intelligent Video Analysis
Integrated IVE, supporting various intelligent analysis applications such as
motion detection, boundary security and video diagnosis
ISP
Adjustable 3A functions (AE, AWB, and AF)
Noise reduction in FPN mode, Highlight compensation, back light compensation, gamma
correction, and color enhancement
Defect pixel correction, denoising, and digital image stabilizer
Anti-fog
Lens distortion correction
Picture rotation by 90° or 270°
Mirroring and flipping
Digital WDR, frame base/line base WDR, and tone mapping
ISP tuning tools for the PC
Audio Encoding/Decoding
Voice encoding/decoding in compliance with multiple
protocols by using software G.711, ADPCM, and G.726 protocols
AEC, ANR, and ALC
Security Engine
Various encryption and decryption algorithms using
hardware, such as AES, DES, and 3DES
Digital watermark
Video Interfaces
Input
8-/10-/12-/14-bit RGB Bayer DC timing VI, a
maximum of 150 MHz clock frequency
BT.601, BT.656 or BT.1120 VI interface
MIPI, LVDS/sub-LVDS, and HiSPI
Compatibility with mainstream HD CMOS sensors provided by Sony, Aptina, OmniVision, and Panasonic
Compatibility with the electrical specifications of parallel and differential interfaces of various sensors
Programmable sensor clock output
Maximum input resolution of 5 megapixels Output
One PAL/NTSC output for automatic load detection
One BT.1120/BT.656 VO interface for connecting to
an external HDMI or SDI, up to 1080p@60 fps output
SDK
Linux-3.4-based SDK
High-performance H.264/H.265 PC decoding library
Physical Specifications
Power consumption
1.1 typical power consumption@1080p60
Multi-level power-saving mode
Operating voltages
1.1 V core voltage
3.3 V I/O voltage and 3.8 V margin voltage
1.35 V or 1.5 V DDR3/3L SDRAM interface voltage
Package Body size of 15 mm x 15 mm (0.59 in. x 0.59 in.), 0.65
mm (0.03 in.) ball pitch, TFBGA RoHS

Attachments

• Hi3516A-Professional-HD-IP-Camera-SoC-Brief-Data-Sheet.pdf
    228.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
"never say never when it comes to technology as things are always changing"
Amen, Brother. A week and a half ago your position was "not practical for dashcams though based on current technology", but it turns out that there was some "current technology" that we didn't know about. I'm sure that chip was well past the final stages of development long before I started that thread.

Amen, Brother. A week and a half ago your position was "not practical for dashcams though based on current technology", but it turns out that there was some "current technology" that we didn't know about. I'm sure that chip was well past the final stages of development long before I started that thread.

there has already been hardware available that can do this, it's used in some police cams and is still not suitable, just having chipset support doesn't automatically make it viable for consumer grade devices

1) 25usd for a chip if it is correct probably means goodbye cheap Mobius
2) They used Novatek, and 9663 may use .265 so need to swap and is much cheaper
3) HiSilicon is literally aimed at tablets/phones and IP systems
4) When we were looking at chip suppliers we were warned off HiSilicon simply because all their resources go to Huwaei and as such you get little support (this may have changed of course)

Regarding encryption - just because something is available that's half the journey...you actually have to implement this without affecting the: Image quality, processing, functions, power consumption, temperature, stress levels etc. So not as easy as having a chip.

Also just before people go...ooo how did no one know about this...there are quite a few suppliers to name a few:
- Ambarella
- Novatek
- AIT
- Sunty
- SunPlus
- Texas Instruments
- Zoran
- Siri (I think that's what it is called)
- Onsemi
- HiSilicon
- ARM (architecture and not chip)
- QualComm (processors but moving slowly into SoC imaging)
- Snapdragon (same as above)

These are just the ones off the top of my head. It's hard to keep up, and whilst going with new shiny chips with fantastic features...doesn't always translate to a great product...it takes usually about 1 year for all the problems to have been ironed out.

Cheers,

Dan

Since it is Hisilicon i assume those encryption standarts are target at IP cameras.

Besides DES have been questioned a lot, it seem NSA might have a backdoor to it.
3DES is used in the Danish " dankort" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dankort

I dont know :p i dont see a huge need for encryption in dashcams as it is now, but i will admit it might be needed down the road if big brother keep expanding his evil empire.

PS. By big brother i dont think the US and NSA, the Danish goverment is much more big brother towards the Danes, and for some ( to me ) unknown reason we seem to like that, though this without doubt mean all personal information of all Danes are at ultra high risk of getting leaked or at least get in the hands of ppl that really shouldent have those iformations.

never say never when it comes to technology as things are always changing

The Ambarella upgrade technology from A7 to H12 is a prime example........ I love human ingenuity.

The Ambarella upgrade technology from A7 to H12 is a prime example........ I love human ingenuity.

lots of possibilities from Ambarella, providing you're GoPro, for anyone else the support is less than stellar unfortunately

@JooVuu......... There is no doubt your original idea to hang out here developing the X was spot on.

Who would of thought the name joovuu came from a night on/after the sauce :cool:

lots of possibilities from Ambarella, providing you're GoPro, for anyone else the support is less than stellar unfortunately

I hear you and the word is out and this is why I love this site.

When is gopro going to realize the gig is up....... Yeah, yeah, I know and only when we edumucate the users right :D

I hear you and the word is out and this is why I love this site.

When is gopro going to realize the gig is up....... Yeah, yeah, I know and only when we edumucate the users right :D

GoPro have more engineering staff than most camera factories have total staff, they'll always be ahead of the game, they also have enough buying power that they control what functionality is available in the chipset for other vendors, a level playing field is not in their interests I guess

Thanks for your input Dan.

2) They used Novatek, and 9663 may use .265 so need to swap and is much cheape
I have not been able to find any information from Novatek related to H.265 encoding, which doesn’t mean there don’t have a processor that do it.

3) HiSilicon is literally aimed at tablets/phones and IP systems

I saw this article where there talk little about Hi3516A.
http://www.hkvstar.com/company-news/hisilicon-introduced-soc-for-h-265-ip-camera-and-nvr-solution.html
It look like it was design specific for video recording and not really to be used in a phone, but you can be 100% right Dan.
I guess when a company design a chip there put a lot of function in the same unit, so it can be used wide spread.
It will be cheaper to mass produced.
Design of the end product can chose not to enable these function.

I just guessing about Mobius using this processor. So everyone who can shoot it down or confirm this go ahead.

Last edited:
I have heard this chipset which can support H.265 while we working on Git1, but I don't think mobius new version will use that, I did some checking one week ago.
If we want to build a 4K camera, this is one of the option.

I would guess the Mobius 2 will be based on a Novatek processor. The next generation, the Novatek NT96880 / NT9688x is supposed to have H.265 support.

Novatek.jpg

Thanks for the info @DashCamMan
One thing about Novatek, there are not good to share new information to the public. I can see the roadmap is date back in 2012. I wonder if there is any plan after the end of the year.
Nothing comes up if you google on NT96680 0r NT9668x

1080p 120 FPS :cool: i would love that for recording my RC stuff.

1080p 120 FPS :cool: i would love that for recording my RC stuff.

Sorry I can provide that, but I would love to see more of your RC video.

Since the Mobius 2 is claiming 1080p a@ 60fps, it might be the NT96663. I believe this is Novatek's flagship chip now and perhaps it will support H.265 (no mention of that though). I haven't seen any cameras based on that chip yet but some are coming out with the NT96660 chip now.

Back