Xiaomi Yi 4K Action Camera 2 More Details - Update Real Photo & Unboxing Review Video

Does somebody could do this test ?

I can confirm that in a Photo Timelapse, that the only option for Shutter speed is Auto, this will set an exposure for each and every photo in a timelapse, so each photo is shot with it'ss required exposure for the light in each shot determined by the Metering option you have set.

So if you took 5 Shots, each one of those 5 shots will have a different exposure time based on it's metering at the time the photo is taken.
Haven't tried ISO as I always set ISO rather than have it at Auto but would assume that ISO works the same.

I can confirm that in a Photo Timelapse, that the only option for Shutter speed is Auto, this will set an exposure for each and every photo in a timelapse, so each photo is shot with it'ss required exposure for the light in each shot determined by the Metering option you have set.

So if you took 5 Shots, each one of those 5 shots will have a different exposure time based on it's metering at the time the photo is taken.
Haven't tried ISO as I always set ISO rather than have it at Auto but would assume that ISO works the same.
Thank you, but could you confirm that the Auto exposure is enabled for 0.5 and 1 second interval ?

Sorry forgot to mention I tested it at 1 second interval, haven't tested any of the other intervals but would assume it is the same for all.

I have just retested on .5 and 1 sec intervals
with auto shutter and auto ISO

Shutter and ISO are calculated per photo based on the metering.

Personally I would set ISO to a set value and leave it to auto shutter otherwise you will get different noise patterns in your timelapse that could be noticeable.
It seems to want to change ISO first then changes Shutter.

Anyways it's totally up to the end user on what you want but looks like the Yi 4K works as exected.

Thank you hirsti99 !!!!!

Now I hope that Yi will add the millisecond info in the exif tags (subsectimeoriginal) so It will be possible to geolocalize the pictures...and I could buy some.

Hello All,

Great forum and a lot of useful tips.
I got Yi 4K but unfortunately it is CN version, as it was bought in mainland China. I am googling now 4 days trying to find solution how to convert it to International version, but without success. Found one guy who managed to convert it, but it gives him error: Illegal version.

So my question is, is there any possible way to convert it somehow (SN number? like Yi Dashcam) to international version?

Thans in advance.

How do owner's feel about this camera now it has been out a few months? Any unexpected "surprises"?

I was going to get a Git 2 or any of those other more generic cameras because it was so much cheaper.
After lots of contemplation I decided to fork out the cash for the Yi 2. (my first Yi camera)
I'm SO glad I did for the sole reason of support/updates.
Not just for the quality of video but since I received it in August there has been 3 updates. That in itself is reason enough for me to go Yi 2. Granted, the Gitup community has been showing some love as well but Yi has really shown their pride in their product alongside the user community.
I do feel sad for the original Yi camera owners though since all the attention they were getting from the Yi developers have now been shifted to the new v2.

Here's the last clip I've made, at night with low light levels and lots of movement

Hello All,

Great forum and a lot of useful tips.
I got Yi 4K but unfortunately it is CN version, as it was bought in mainland China. I am googling now 4 days trying to find solution how to convert it to International version, but without success. Found one guy who managed to convert it, but it gives him error: Illegal version.

Not possible, Yi is trying to to anything possible to lock completely the Chinese version and avoid a hack like on Yi1.

Yi has really shown their pride in their product alongside the user community.
I do feel sad for the original Yi camera owners though since all the attention they were getting from the Yi developers have now been shifted to the new v2.

Yeah, their official Facebook community is great if you are a Nazi, they were so mad that i had the guts to show my comparison of the Yi2 vs Git2 that they have kicked me out of the group and deleted my posts. I find it amazing and disturbing at the same time if they feel threatened by a one year old budget action camera !

How do owner's feel about this camera now it has been out a few months? Any unexpected "surprises"?
It has random stability issues, sometime it will record for 20 minutes without problems in 4K, and sometimes it will fail recording a complete file and you will find random sized files ranging from a few seconds to a few minutes, with missing footage between them while the cameras shows that it's recording. The gyro works very poor in 1080p, it has big distortions at the corners like the image is warping and also it will create a bad side to side shake. Another issue affecting is the the random working of the WiFi, 50-50% chances it doesn't work. From time to time it will freeze or show corrupted graphics and needs the battery to be removed, not really a GoPro killer as they call it.

It has random stability issues, sometime it will record for 20 minutes without problems in 4K, and sometimes it will fail recording a complete file and you will find random sized files ranging from a few seconds to a few minutes, with missing footage between them while the cameras shows that it's recording. The gyro works very poor in 1080p, it has big distortions at the corners like the image is warping and also it will create a bad side to side shake. Another issue affecting is the the random working of the WiFi, 50-50% chances it doesn't work. From time to time it will freeze or show corrupted graphics and needs the battery to be removed, not really a GoPro killer as they call it.
That's good info . Thanks. Missing footage puts me off it. I'd go mental. I'm currently on the git2 thread reading through. I'm leaning to that or wait for git3.

I haven't yet experienced missing footage but what does annoy me is the filenaming sequence. The prefix on the first file is always different to the subsequent files but at least the least significant digit is consistent.
There was once when I got a "Card too slow" message but even then I didn't miss any footage. It was running at 2.7k 60fps. Never have had any issues yet at 4k 30fps.

Can't comment on the wifi but so far, I do prefer the electronic stabilisation (gyro) off as it is quite wonky, not unlike youtube's stabilisation effect.

I was going to get a Git 2 or any of those other more generic cameras because it was so much cheaper.
After lots of contemplation I decided to fork out the cash for the Yi 2. (my first Yi camera)
I'm SO glad I did for the sole reason of support/updates.
Not just for the quality of video but since I received it in August there has been 3 updates. That in itself is reason enough for me to go Yi 2. Granted, the Gitup community has been showing some love as well but Yi has really shown their pride in their product alongside the user community.

Here's the last clip I've made, at night with low light levels and lots of movement

Excellent quality of footage.

Apart from the points others have raised such as no stop / start and one or two quality issues, it needs to get itself up to 4K Premium Spec to really set itself apart as the ultimate in 4K cameras ie. Rec2020 and HDR. That way it becomes a must have accessory for anyone with a Premium spec 4K tv.

I haven't yet experienced missing footage but what does annoy me is the filenaming sequence. The prefix on the first file is always different to the subsequent files but at least the least significant digit is consistent.
There was once when I got a "Card too slow" message but even then I didn't miss any footage. It was running at 2.7k 60fps. Never have had any issues yet at 4k 30fps.
Also an option to turn secondary files (THM) is highly requested and no answer was given. The rumor is that the secondary file is not only used for mobile streaming but also the camera does not have the possibility to play back the full file ...which personally I think its bullsh*it. The "card too slow" message may be from the card as the Yi2 needs at least 50 mbps writing speed. Most micro SD cards sold as "extreme speed" that feature 60,70,80 mbps rates are actually rated for reading not for writing which is most of the time half as slow ex 30 write / 60 read. Those card work miserably or not at all. There were also some issues with "Yi recommended cards" that failed to work but some of them were fixed.

Here's another cycling shot I took this weekend at 1080p ultra 60fps with electronic stabilisation off (it's never going back on for me) with de-fisheye correction on. personally I love this feature although it sure d0es distort things near the edge (any rectilinear wide angle will do this)

Still playing around with the mounting. This time right at the crotch on the seat post. A lot less shaking than on the handle bar but at intersections all you get is my big butt.

Here's another cycling shot I took this weekend at 1080p ultra 60fps with electronic stabilisation off (it's never going back on for me) with de-fisheye correction on. personally I love this feature although it sure d0es distort things near the edge (any rectilinear wide angle will do this)

Still playing around with the mounting. This time right at the crotch on the seat post. A lot less shaking than on the handle bar but at intersections all you get is my big butt.

Nice video!!!
i took my first cycling video on sunday and the auto stabilisation does make it a bit weird so i think i am also going to switch it off.
what is the fisheye option???haven't seen it....

Not possible, Yi is trying to to anything possible to lock completely the Chinese version and avoid a hack like on Yi1.

Thanks for answer, but I found this YT video today, but I am not sure is it fake or not. I wish tro try it, but i cant find yi4k EN fw 1.1.5

In this video, this guy downgrade 1.2 CN firmware to 1.1.5 build 2175 EN fw.

Fake? :)

Back