Xiaomi Yi Sports Camera - Custom Firmware (Base 1.0.7) - Bitrate Increased to 30Mbps all modes

Mine would be (from most important on top to less important on bottom):

- Keep the price this low. Also for add ons.
- Selectable bit rate up to 45Mbps. Not only steps, but also numbers one can type in manually.
- Lens rectification is really a uniq feature and outstanding. Really good so far. But broken in 1080p with 60fps (see my post within this thread a few pages before this). Please fix!! Maybe just a very easy software fix.

All other are less important for me and only would increase price partially. So don't want to have them :).

I would suggest some standalone control of the camera.

Double/Triple clicking on the power button would change the resolution in recording mode, for example, having some feedback with the leds so they would let you know what mode you are in with their blinking. Something like old ipod nano used to work like. There are certain situations where the app is just useless (eg, underwater when the case is here) and you'd need to have some way to work it around. That could also be solved with a Bluetooth remote with a small LCD screen that would allow you to change all this having some feedback on the screen (of course waterproof and cheap).

Also some improvement in QC , as there are some hardware issues (focus issue , mic noise with wi-fi on, which seem to be HW related, and not losing warranty with those would be a good point on their side, or at least providing an official solution or something like that)

If they select any of my ideas, i'll be glad to receive my comission :)

Last edited:
The first and more important to me is, increase the audio quality allow you select the frecuency response (44.1, 48, 96, etc) and encode it with better quality not just 128kbps.

The other would be use a raw format for photos like PNG, jpg reduce the quality of the camera.

So, add more options to the app.

Thank you guys so much! I will organise all of these great suggestions to them.. you guys awesome!
Yeah have a great weekend!

Switchable FOV (W,M,N)/ Digital zoom like on the Gopro would also be handy.

yes
- manual white balance would be great.
- also manual iso settings.
- better settings in the video codec if possible
- and maybe 2.7K

Hi,
there are my next suggestions:
- bluetooth remote commander will be great. Action cam with phone one hand is little heavy-handed. I hope will comming soon, and will be immune due the "clock tick" sound during video recording (like issue with record with wifi on).
- may be like a option capability to paar with exterrnal bluetooth microphone. Better recording posibility with waterproof case.

Can you add CAR mode to the next update of Yi Sports camera so that the camera can be turned on and start recording automatically by detection of the usb charging, as soon as the camera is connected in-car and the engine is started

New firmware seems to be out. 1.0.12. Anyone tested so far?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-11-17-04-28.png
    Screenshot_2015-05-11-17-04-28.png
    249.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_2015-05-11-17-04-53.png
    Screenshot_2015-05-11-17-04-53.png
    265.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_2015-05-11-17-13-47.png
    Screenshot_2015-05-11-17-13-47.png
    562.3 KB · Views: 38
I use my Yi for radio controlled quadcopter flying video. Specifically, mini-racing quadcopters. That type of quadcopter is very strong and people typically do lots of aerobatics, tree-dodging and other tricks with them. The video quality of the Yi is great, but it always turns itself off if I crash (crashes are really common when flying through trees!). When it turns its of off, it doesn't save the last few seconds of the video.

It's awesome to get video footage of quadcopter crashes. I've talked with several other Yi owners and they're seeing the same thing. Is there a firmware mod or upgrade that can keep the camera on and recording even in a crash? I love the 1080p/60fps, but I really need the video to stay running.

Maybe during crash the battery loses contact. Try to put some folded paper between battery and door. Maybe this helps. I also use for quadcopter. Had one crash with the xiamo yi. The video did not stop. Crash is on sd-card :)

I'll try that. I hope that's not what's going on though.

New firmware seems to be out. 1.0.12. Anyone tested so far?

Just installed new firmware. No new options in menu available. But filming is now indicated by blinking led ring.
Unfortunatly they did not fix the lens rectification bug :(. Maybe next firmware update.
Follwing the modified version with higher bitrates. For details see file within archiv. The bitrates are listed there. I used the settings from Evgeniy which are pretty good.

http://www.filedropper.com/firmware1012-modified

!!
Based on hardware revision 22.1 (see https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/xiaomi-yi-firmware-caution.11383/ for details). Seems this firmware version is the most common. Anyway, there are a few revision out there with might require a different firmware. I don't know if thouse work with this firmware as well. So please check befor updating.
!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just installed new firmware. No new options in menu available. But filming is now indicated by blinking led ring.
Unfortunatly they did not fix the lens rectification bug :(. Maybe next firmware update.
Follwing the modified version with higher bitrates. For details see file within archiv. The bitrates are listed there. I used the settings from Evgeniy which are pretty good.

Thanks! I still can not copy files via USB from the cam (cam crashes) so no matter which USB cable I try, this is still an issue for me, but other than that the modded firmware is perfect.
With the modded 1.0.9 I was not able to get 15mbps @ 1080p / 25fps with Quality set to low (although the excel chart points out that this should give me 15mbps) but with your modded 1.0.12 I finally get the 15mbps in that mode.

Does anyone know if there's an option via firmware (maybe Andy_S...) to keep all leds on but the ring? I could only set all disabled and status enabled. I've met myself with some unfriendly reflections of the ring on glasses while recording in low light condition . It would be great to keep the wifi led on, to know it's on (specially when using it on picture mode) and the ring off.

I'll give it a try tomorrow with the new firmware and will try the modded one , thanks kasljg(etc...) :D

i was going to update but since i read this https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/xiaomi-yi-firmware-caution.11383/ i'm not so sure, can you tell me what hardware revision you have?

Last edited by a moderator:

What hardware revision did you have?
and could you upload it to somewhere else, like mediafire, mega, or other sites, it seems to block my country

Can you help to to mod this firmware,
I've got the Yi old Hardware Revision 22, and this is the latest firmware for Rev.22
http://akutampan.com/yi/firmware_1.0.12.rar

What hardware revision did you have?
and could you upload it to somewhere else, like mediafire, mega, or other sites, it seems to block my country

Can you help to to mod this firmware,
I've got the Yi old Hardware Revision 22, and this is the latest firmware for Rev.22
http://akutampan.com/yi/firmware_1.0.12.rar
i couldn't wait so i finally updated my cam succesfully with mod firmware i've got rev.22 too, so you'll have no problem

Back