Zenfox T3 Triple channel dash cams free test invitation, limited quantity

3 hours later. Ambient temp 97f and zenfox finally gave up rear and interior channel but front still recording. shell temperature is 170f, mirror panel 160f and roof liner 133f.
Viofo in the other hand, I restarted but failed again, this time with a black screen, red light flashing rapidly and not responsive to any button. Viofos temperature is 185f20200713_142832.jpg

:cool: Sounds like you are going to need some hotter weather to complete this test! What is your forecast like for the coming days?

Edit: spoke too soon, so it is not for parking mode use in an Australian summer if you want all channels all day!

Reactions: EGS
I have a couple questions for you.

1. Are you running the T3 and Viofo in NORMAL mode or low bitrate recording during your tests? Regular mode is going to overheat both units, hands down. And like yesterday, are not intended to run under these conditions.

2. I have tinted windows. 35% all around for side windows (blocks 65% light), 20% Rear Windshield (blocks 80% Light), and 80% (Blocks 20% Light) on front window. I have subjected my Viofo to the same conditions you described in the past and never once suffered from the unit powering down during normal operations while driving or low bitrate parking mode while the car is off.

On the other hand, the T3 loses rear, interior, and finally front recording under the same conditions as the Viofo.

3. What type of vehicle are these cars in? If I recall you are using a battery pack and not a hardwiring kit?

FYI: My MX-4 paste showed up yesterday. Copper Shims come tomorrow. So I can try and see what solution I can devise, too.
this time both in low bitrate parking mode. Yesterdays test was done in driving mode at max bitrate on both units, and guess what, I was amazed about the results. Clearly Zenfox is outperforming Viofo at handling temperatures now after the mod.

3 hours later. Ambient temp 97f and zenfox finally gave up rear and interior channel but front still recording. shell temperature is 170f, mirror panel 160f and roof liner 133f.
Viofo in the other hand, I restarted but failed again, this time with a black screen, red light flashing rapidly and not responsive to any button. Viofos temperature is 185f

@EGS

Yep. So I believe cooling is the major issue at hand and your results are promising. The T3 is performing as well or better than the Viofo. I get my order tomorrow. So will proceed to run tests. I've had my Viofo in 95F / 35C before, and never experienced a shutdown. My windows being tinted may be helping though.

1. How did you adhere the Copper Plate to the EMI shield? Epoxy? Or didn't bother to adhere and just used the thermal paste?

2. How did you adhere the Heatsink to the EMI shield? Epoxy?

If Epoxy on #1 or #2 what kind? Gorilla Glue?

Last edited:
:cool: Sounds like you are going to need some hotter weather to complete this test! What is your forecast like for the coming days?

Edit: spoke too soon, so it is not for parking mode use in an Australian summer if you want all channels all day!
Definitely it wont handle the extremes but so far I see a huge improvement from where it was. when it was overheating at a lower temperatures and while the vehicle was running with the AC on. Yesterday's and today's test are done with the engine shut off and no AC obviously. pretty toasty inside

so I find it a success in the efforts of making this unit more reliable specially when you need it recording while driving. I will possible still benefit from firmware tuning in that regard.

Yep. So I believe cooling is the major issue at hand and your results are promising. The T3 is performing as well or better than the Viofo. I get my order tomorrow. So will proceed to run tests. I've had my Viofo in 95F / 35C before, and never experienced a shutdown. My windows being tinted may be helping though.

1. How did you adhere the Copper Plate to the EMI shield? Epoxy? Or didn't bother to adhere and just used the thermal paste?

2. How did you adhere the Heatsink to the EMI shield? Epoxy?

If Epoxy on #1 or #2 what kind? Gorilla Glue?
Here are the pics of the procedure 20200711_151939.jpg20200711_155805.jpg20200711_161551.jpg20200711_160721.jpg20200711_164612.jpg20200711_165923.jpg

So you just used the the thermal paste for Heatsink to EMI and EMI to Copper Plate? You didn't epoxy the Heatsink to the EMI Shield or Copper Plate to EMI correct?

Please let me know about whether you used epoxy or just the thermal paste. As I want to know how to best approach this situation. Thanks

Last edited:
So you just used the the thermal paste for Heatsink to EMI and EMI to Copper Plate? You didn't epoxy the Heatsink to the EMI Shield or Copper Plate to EMI correct?
I did not epoxy the copper to the emi shield as I found that wasn't necessary, but I did epoxy the corners of the heat sink to the emi shield as you can see in the picture. I used the clear epoxy for general use. Didn't want to use the stronger made to bond metals in case I needed to remove it later, it would make it a bit easier.

I did not epoxy the copper to the emi shield as I found that wasn't necessary, but I did epoxy the corners of the heat sink to the emi shield as you can see in the picture. I used the clear epoxy for general use. Didn't want to use the stronger made to bond metals in case I needed to remove it later, it would make it a bit easier.

What brand or type of epoxy did you use on the Heatsink to EMI if you can please share. Thanks.

So it appears that the correction of heat-sinking has been effective, at least as far as may be possible considering the high write-cycle rate :cool:

If that continues and is seen by the rest testing this cam, then it might be feasible to raise the cut-off temp in the firmware allowing even more gains :)

A hearty HURRAH! and well done to you all (y) and hopes that @Zenfox_Official will now step in, adopt the better methods in production, and tweak the firmware to get the best from his cam :)

Phil

So it appears that the correction of heat-sinking has been effective, at least as far as may be possible considering the high write-cycle rate :cool:

If that continues and is seen by the rest testing this cam, then it might be feasible to raise the cut-off temp in the firmware allowing even more gains :)

A hearty HURRAH! and well done to you all (y) and hopes that @Zenfox_Official will now step in, adopt the better methods in production, and tweak the firmware to get the best from his cam :)

Phil

Yep. So improper cooling (as I originally pointed out) was the culprit for overheating and dropping cams. @EGS has shown that with the addition of a better cooling method (copper plate), it is possible to have this camera run reliably.

I'll do my test tomorrow using the copper shim. I'm not as skilled, nor talented, nor do I have the tools, to replicate what @EGS did. What an overachiever! ;)

Reactions: EGS
Viofo in the other hand, I restarted but failed again, this time with a black screen, red light flashing rapidly and not responsive to any button. Viofos temperature is 185fView attachment 52626
If your still running your test, can you restart the Viofo, but then format the card upon reboot? The A129 Pro should be shutting down, not freezing. Just wondering if the parking mode bug is preventing the camera from shutting down like it should at the set temp (not sure what that is though).

Please let me know about whether you used epoxy or just the thermal paste. As I want to know how to best approach this situation. Thanks
Apply the paste to only one side of the copper plate and attach it to the emi shield, the apply paste to the top of the soc surface. remember to align the copper correctly before you close the lid. I marked my lid to ensure proper alignment.

Apply the paste to only one side of the copper plate and attach it to the emi shield, the apply paste to the top of the soc surface. remember to align the copper correctly before you close the lid. I marked my lid to ensure proper alignment.

Thank you!

What brand of epoxy did you use to glue the Heatsink to the EMI Shield? Image of brand / type would be very helpful to know so I can purchase some.

If your still running your test, can you restart the Viofo, but then format the card upon reboot? The A129 Pro should be shutting down, not freezing. Just wondering if the parking mode bug is preventing the camera from shutting down like it should at the set temp (not sure what that is though).
Sadly I already ended the test. I restarted the unit after you brought that to my attention but the card was formatted in both cameras before I started the test. I don't know if you saw where I did a similar test yesterday with the vehicle parked in direct sulight, engine off and cameras running in driving mode with the bitrates at the max. The viofo did stop recording with a black screen and rapid red blinking light. So knowing that the camera behaved similarly, makes my think that the camera possible suffered both, the overheating issue in parking and non parking mode as well as the freeze bug at parking mode. I must say I didn't have this issues with the viofo since never used parking mode before and never exposed it to a test like this. Actually the test was meant for the zenfox instead and the fox now seems to outperform the viofo at handling the heat.

Thank you!

What brand of epoxy did you use to glue the Heatsink to the EMI Shield? Image of brand / type would be very helpful to know so I can purchase some.
It is an old glue I had and it doest't have the plastic with the name on it anymore but I think it was the loctite epoxy clear.20200713_154448.jpg

1594673275307.png

I don't think the type of epoxy makes much difference, the metal ones are different because they contain metal particles which makes them abrasion resistant and much stiffer (less flexible), there is no need for either of those properties here.

Just make sure the surfaces your are sticking it to are grease free, and thermal paste free, otherwise it will not stick.

I don't think the type of epoxy makes much difference, the metal ones are different because they contain metal particles which makes them abrasion resistant and much stiffer (less flexible), there is no need for either of those properties here.

Just make sure the surfaces your are sticking it to are grease free, and thermal paste free, otherwise it will not stick.
and use a very tiny drop as it tends to spread as it sets.

Back