The G1W Sellers listing.

Test it outside the car to see if the tint is affecting it. That could be why the hood looks a little green, and could be part of the softness of the video. And really a refocus isn't a big deal especially since the g1w's have a video output port so you can hook up a big monitor or TV to verify focus as you adjust it. Search around the forums and you'll find several threads about focusing.

Thanks for all the help.
I am returning this unit because the video quality is totally different from other G1W-C video I have watched on youtube.

If you are returning the camera it might make sense to spend more money on a bit of a higher end camera or you risk being disappointed with another G1W. Remember, the old adage, "you get what you pay for". With the current crop of this class of camera you may or may not be satisfied by what shows up in the mail.

Test it outside the car to see if the tint is affecting it. That could be why the hood looks a little green, and could be part of the softness of the video. And really a refocus isn't a big deal especially since the g1w's have a video output port so you can hook up a big monitor or TV to verify focus as you adjust it. Search around the forums and you'll find several threads about focusing.

I think it is my Tint problem, I tested outside, the video was clear, but I don't know why the windshield tint will cause such big video quality drop. My tint is 90% 3M crystalline, so it is basically clear film.

If you are returning the camera it might make sense to spend more money on a bit of a higher end camera or you risk being disappointed with another G1W. Remember, the old adage, "you get what you pay for". With the current crop of this class of camera you may or may not be satisfied by what shows up in the mail.

I won't return it because I had opened the camera to check the inside, and it is Novatek NT96650 Chipset.
I think it is my windows tint problem, but my tint is 90% tho, basically, it is a clear windshield film.
will high end dashcam have better performance behind the windshield tint? such Panorama S? ( it is also Black Box brand) or get a GoPro Hero 3+
I only use it when I drive outside town to LA or SF. To LA is about 3 hours and 7 hours to SF.
Specially, I need a dash cam when I drive in LA coz the traffic is horrible.
I actually don't need dash cam during the weekday, because the town I am living is 2 miles x 2 miles big, and when I drive to work, I have to take off the camera because I am working at Military Base, and camera on car is not allowed.

Panorama has no connection to the product you have, black box is just a generic term used to describe the product

Not familiar with your tint but the Panorama is a higher grade of product than what you have now

Has anyone tried dashcam behind windshield tint?
my film tint is a pretty famous product in the US, 90% is basic colorless . only to block UV and solar heat.
I know Panorama is higher grade product, but I am just not sure if it will have same problem.

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 7
considering that windshield tint (even 90%) is illegal in most states without a doctor's prescription, not many people have it to provide input. that said, people often have tint in the back and report that the tint does degrade the picture. then again, most folks have 35 or 20% in the back, if not 5% (limo) tint so that's expected.

but having installed tint as part of my job for many years, i can say that even when tint looks crystal clear from a few feet away, it gets wavy up close, which is where the cam is. and we only used 3m or sungard metallic films at the places i worked, so it's not like it was cheap film.

tl;dr: getting an expensive camera probably won't help.

For quite awhile now I've experimented with different cameras facing laterally out the very dark tinted rear side windows of my pick-up truck. The cameras always require an exposure adjustment to compensate for the dark tint which acts as a neutral density filter but there has never been even the slightest color shift regardless of which camera I happen to be using. The cameras work very well in this installation.

The one camera on the market that would be able to deal with the problem of a tinted window causing an unwanted shift in color is the Mobius because it is the ONLY camera that provides for extremely granular adjustment of colors across the entire RGB range and which can be stored as custom profiles.

Mobius-colors.jpg

There is a dash cam behind this glass.
tint2.jpg

For quite awhile now I've experimented with different cameras facing laterally out the very dark tinted rear side windows of my pick-up truck.
the difference here is your truck has privacy glass - a dye mixed into the glass itself. this doesn't affect clarity like film and its adhesives do. ronan has a film applied over the glass. also, lighter films like his sometimes impart a bit of color, usually blue or green, sometimes yellow, to the light coming thru.

the difference here is your truck has privacy glass - a dye mixed into the glass itself. this doesn't affect clarity like film and its adhesives do. ronan has a film applied over the glass. also, lighter films like his sometimes impart a bit of color, usually blue or green, sometimes yellow, to the light coming thru.

I see. Yes, I can see why a film could cause a color shift where factory glass wouldn't. Either way, the Mobius camera's ability to adjust for color balance would be a possible way to deal with it.

Those aftermarket tint films are completely illegal in my state so I have little familiarity with them and only see them on out-of-state vehicles.

Last edited:

just to throw my hat into the ring...

I have an external camera and one behind tinted glass...

tint makes a hell of a difference in degrading picture quality, even more so at night and I found exposure adjustment affected the ability to read number plates in moving traffic...

considering that windshield tint (even 90%) is illegal in most states without a doctor's prescription, not many people have it to provide input. that said, people often have tint in the back and report that the tint does degrade the picture. then again, most folks have 35 or 20% in the back, if not 5% (limo) tint so that's expected.

but having installed tint as part of my job for many years, i can say that even when tint looks crystal clear from a few feet away, it gets wavy up close, which is where the cam is. and we only used 3m or sungard metallic films at the places i worked, so it's not like it was cheap film.

tl;dr: getting an expensive camera probably won't help.

Thank you for the input, and I will borrow my friends GoPro next week to see what will happen.
In addition, I would suggest ppl don't put suction cup on the tint because it cause bubble under the cup. ( I had a bubble yesterday on my windshield, and I was lucky that I can push out the air with my credit card).

Found what looks like another knock off going by price.
3NwJkRM.png

I would suggest ppl don't put suction cup on the tint because it cause bubble under the cup. ( I had a bubble yesterday on my windshield, and I was lucky that I can push out the air with my credit card).
yes, lucky you could fix it. usually the adhesive won't re-stick once it's been peeled.

at least they make a rearview mirror stalk mount for the g1w so you're not totally out of luck. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=g1w+mirror+mount

I bought a Black Box G1W through Amazon 6+ months ago and have been happy with it but maybe just got lucky. All indications is that it's the NT96650 and AR0330.

I want to buy another basic G1W (not C, B, etc) for the other vehicle, but have read enough that I'm nervous about getting the real deal. I see Spy Tec listed here and elsewhere as a trusted seller. What I'm confused about is where the trustworthy place is to buy from this seller. The Spy Tec G1W on Amazon is being sold by "Weistore" and seems too cheap. The http://www.spytecinc.com/ site shows it for about $57 which seems more in line.

I don't mind paying a few dollars more if I get the real G1W. When you all say you bought the Spy Tec G1W, was it from Amazon, or was it from the www.spytecinc.com site?

The Spy Tec G1W on Amazon is being sold by "Weistore" and seems too cheap.

welcome to Amazon, they think they are doing you a favor by trying to present you with the product you want at the best price by offering up whichever seller has it the cheapest, reality is they just group listings together based on what they perceive to be the same product, with dashcams that's most often very far from the truth, best way is buy it direct from @spytec on their own website and you'll be assured of getting the right product

Back