Review: Dome D201 Ambarella A12 2560x1440p HDR GPS Dashcam (Gearbest.com)

Link reuploaded since been corrected errors!!!
NEW
version 2382 High Bitrate Edition... Changed only bitrate...
Link: https://cloud.mail.ru/public/9oar/uwGU8XF4J
It is necessary to check whether the values correspond to the declared...
Code:
----------------------------------------------------------
2.5.6.0.x.1.4.4.0. .2.5.P. .1.6.:.9...............40-36-30
H.D.R. .2.5.6.0.x.1.4.4.0. .2.5.P. .1.6.:.9.......40-36-30
1.9.2.0.x.1.0.8.0. .5.0.P. .1.6.:.9...............36-32-28
1.9.2.0.x.1.0.8.0. .2.5.P. .1.6.:.9...............36-32-24
H.D.R. .1.9.2.0.x.1.0.8.0. .2.5.P. .1.6.:.9.......36-32-24
----------------------------------------------------------
If something does not match, correct this text and send me...

N.B. The firmware is at your own risk!!!

Greetings Falsificator

I've installed this version. Max bitrate on 2560x1440 seems to be about 40. (NICE)
When I switch to 2560x1440HDR and test, the Max bitrate is showing about 10.

I'll try to test the others tomorrow.

Last week got the device and today finally received the microSDXC card.
Right away updated firmware to 2382 High Bitrate Edition from Falsificator.
NOTE: When first trying to update FW got error message. It appears that when updating firmware the card has to be absolutely clean without any of the folders DCIM and EVENT, just .bin file. Then the update goes successfully.

Checked the bitrates. Because of the lack of time only checked the highest bitrate w/wo HDR and the files 10 sec long.

UPD: Re-checked the bitrates. It seems I was looking the wrong place. All the bitrates as advertised.

Last edited:
I know it's a tall ask...
It would be great to be able to remove the speed stamp from the video.
I don't think anyone in the US want's that on the video. I know I'd prefer it only be available when using the viewer.

Also looking forward to an MPH High-Bitrate version.

Has anyone run across the "unformatted drive" issue after updating firmware? This isnt the SD card, it's something else. (SD card is D)
Is it OK to format, or just live with the error?

Has anyone run across the "unformatted drive" issue after updating firmware? This isnt the SD card, it's something else. (SD card is D)
Is it OK to format, or just live with the error?
Do NOT format that drive, it can brick yours camera. That is internal memory of dash cam. You can install the Car DV Player software inside the dash cam for this issue, or just live with the error. It's yours choice.

Thank you!

I'd been advised to not format it by Capture your Action.
Appreciate the confirmation.

You can update the firmware with DCIM and Event folder on the SD card. I have done it many times. Not sure why you got the error.

Here are two new Firmware versions for the DAB201 and DAB202. You have the option of MPH or KM/H in the menu. There is one labeled DAB201 and one labeled DAB202. I believe they are the same except how they appear in the firmware section of the camera menu. One will say DAB201 and the other will say DAB202. They should be the same otherwise. I have not road tested these yet.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7otu8f42tqiqsl7/20160405a_DAB201_A12a55_gps_zhongxing_v2385.rar?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ojxop8dt4fqmxl/20160405a_DAB202_A12a55_gps_zhongxing_v2386.rar?dl=0

Here are two new Firmware versions for the DAB201 and DAB202. You have the option of MPH or KM/H in the menu. There is one labeled DAB201 and one labeled DAB202. I believe they are the same except how they appear in the firmware section of the camera menu. One will say DAB201 and the other will say DAB202. They should be the same otherwise. I have not road tested these yet.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7otu8f42tqiqsl7/20160405a_DAB201_A12a55_gps_zhongxing_v2385.rar?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ojxop8dt4fqmxl/20160405a_DAB202_A12a55_gps_zhongxing_v2386.rar?dl=0
Hi CaptureYourAction.
Thanks for posting the new firmware. Do you think it is compatible with DAB205 as well since they all share the same chip?
Can someone from SZdome, like Fandy, confirm that it also works for DAB205? I've ordered the DAB205 but that is no new firmware posted at all.

I asked them that very question a few days ago. If I understood them correctly, the DAB205 cannot use the same firmware. Yes, it uses the same chipset, but something must be different. I will ask again to confirm.
If all goes as planned I should be stocking the DAB205 in a month or so.

the firmware update so fast, any improvement to the video quality?

I'm not sure if the new version changed the video quality in any way. I think it just fixed parking mode with motion detection and added mph setting.

@TSN Dome confirmed that DAB205 cannot use same firmware as the 201 and 202.

I'm not sure if the new version changed the video quality in any way. I think it just fixed parking mode with motion detection and added mph setting.

@TSN Dome confirmed that DAB205 cannot use same firmware as the 201 and 202.
Thanks, CaptureYourAction

I know it's a tall ask...
It would be great to be able to remove the speed stamp from the video.
I don't think anyone in the US want's that on the video. I know I'd prefer it only be available when using the viewer.
+1. Not only in the US, in Canada as well. If you had an accident and the video indicated you were speeding, the video could be used against you if the cop noticed that you had a dashcam. Don't know why the people in the Zsdome factory don't understand this!

Any progress with changing lenght of protected files?

Haven't checked the latest firmware, but last version was still 10 seconds before and 50 second after (one minute total).

I fu#@%ng hate this camera because of this stupid protecting time. Could You pls check if they changed it in latest?

Back