Viofo A119s changes

this video is a not a good one to go by, it's done by someone with an agenda, better to wait and see some videos from end users

Is it my imagination that the A119S seems to be pale sort of foggy compared to the A119
Maybe A119S can detect the little light that reflect in the small rain drop, where A119 come to short.
So when the user come with the feed back, Viofo can Improve as it mature.
I guess you can't replicate all the situation in one location. Its gonna be interesting to see how it handle winter weather.

@trixdesigns hard to tell whether that's the "final 7G lens" without actually dismantling the lens I guess (unless I provide a s/n so someone from Viofo could check up). I've got A119S from a local distributor, ie. I don't buy Viofos directly. As far as the CPL filter goes, I don't have CPLs (yet), should have these today. In this video I used a black sheet laid in my dashboard instead to reduce reflection and improve clarity. Going to try and use an actual CPL filter later on on both cameras, I'm curious how would both handle reduced light at night (this is where I suppose we could see IMX291 advantages more clearly).

@jokiin well I indeed have an "agenda" as I run an online store with dashcams, that's not a secret, however does that automagically make the video not a good one to go by?

Sent from my MI 4S using Tapatalk

@jokiin well I indeed have an "agenda" as I run an online store with dashcams, that's not a secret, however does that automagically make the video not a good one to go by?

Sebastian is known for selective editing to show products he sells as favorable compared to others while trying to appear to be unbiased

Sebastian is known for selective editing to show products he sells as favorable compared to others while trying to appear to be unbiased
Who is Sebastian?

the guy that published the video in question

Edit; just in case you're not clear I was referring to the video that trixdesigns linked to, not the video you posted

the guy that published the video in question
I have recorded, edited and published the video personally and I don't quite think my name is Sebastian. Unless we're talking about another video, perhaps?

Anyway that's a bit off topic, so let me close that with a bit of disclaimer: my name is Dawid, for the record, I do run a web shop, I do sell dashcams, and I do personally test and record sample videos of every single dashcam I sell. While it makes me somewhat biased, which is understandable, I don't intentionally edit videos to show a given dashcam model in better light compared to others.

I have recorded, edited and published the video personally and I don't quite think my name is Sebastian. Unless we're talking about another video, perhaps?

Anyway that's a bit off topic, so let me close that with a bit of disclaimer: my name is Dawid, for the record, I do run a web shop, I do sell dashcams, and I do personally test and record sample videos of every single dashcam I sell. While it makes me somewhat biased, which is understandable, I don't intentionally edit videos to show a given dashcam model in better light compared to others.

Was not referring to the video you shared, have no reason to doubt you, sorry if it wasn't clear which video I was referring to at the time

jokiin I know is not nice to quote a previous post but was better if you quoted it in this case. You can edit your post to make the things clear.

The A119S firmware is just the first version. I expect the IQ to be improved by Novatek and Viofo. The OV4689 sensor is few years old so Novatek have enough time to make it working great. But the IMX291 is new on the market so I expect 2-3 firmware updates until the Novatek will tune the IQ settings.

enjoy,
Mtz

@jokiin thanks for clarification. My disclaimer stands tough :) eot

Yes I realised the confusion after I posted, on mobile at the moment which is a bit harder to edit, will look at it later

@evad, is that the final 7G lens and CPL on the A119S?

I noticed at 3:00 the headlight glare on the license plate seems to be well handled by the S, but is completely washed out on the A119.
You do give up some clarity by going with the S; very low light is enhanced, but it introduces grain into the footage.
This video at 3:41 seems to give a good representation of the IMX291 sensor:
^Note: That's not the A119S, so it's very possible Viofo corrected some of that via hardware (they use the NTK96660 chipset) / firmware / lens combinations.

The IMX291 comes out as the worst in the next clip at 3:54 with a barely readable number plate. It looks like there is too much gain and too much noise reduction.

To me the A119 regular picture is better. The S loses clarity on street signs and such.

Hopefully firmware can bring improvements and show what the IMX291 is really made of.

I thought it was just my old eyes, but I also prefer A119. It may have been a little bit darker but definitely had more detail.

I also thought the A119 looked better. I'm hoping/assuming that this is just due to early firmware for the A119S and a few revisions on the A119 and that the A119S will improve...

I also thought the A119 looked better. I'm hoping/assuming that this is just due to early firmware for the A119S and a few revisions on the A119 and that the A119S will improve...
Why oh why am I waiting for the A119S to be listed. If you ask me the A119 is better from what I saw today

the A119 has a higher resolution sensor so there are times when it will look better, the larger pixels in the A119S will offer advantages in other situations, there's no right or wrong answer, each will have their strengths and weaknesses, there has been more work on A119 IQ tuning compared to A119S so still room for change

Back