Ok so I fixed the power loop issue

I just tested the monoprice USB cable on two outlets in my truck. Both powered up my original A119 with no issues.

As soon as I plug the A119S the screen has a horizontal lines and memory error is showed.

So in essence, the A119S doesn't work with my Monoprice USB power cable but the A119 does.
If the power supply is marginal, camera settings, recording mode, and LCD on or off can make critical differences in camera function. For example, I noticed in the past that the A119 draws slightly more power at the 1080P/60fps resolution than at the 1440P/30fps resolution. Tried to the measure power consumption difference between the A119 and A119S at the same settings, but the measurement was not conclusive.

Also if your USB outlets came with the truck, I've read that some folks experienced problems in cars with built in USB outlets as they don't deliver enough to power the A119/A119S, but I don't have personal experience. {Edit: In any event, you might consider a test, powering your existing USB cable and A119S from a separate cigarette socket using the supplied 12 to 5 Vdc adapter.}

One more possibility to assure success if you must have a longer cable: Consider extending the truck's 12Vdc supply wiring (possibly a cig socket extender) instead of using a longer USB cable. {Edit: You would still need a Viofo USB cable.}

Last edited:
I just tested the monoprice USB cable on two outlets in my truck. Both powered up my original A119 with no issues.

As soon as I plug the A119S the screen has a horizontal lines and memory error is showed.

So in essence, the A119S doesn't work with my Monoprice USB power cable but the A119 does.
If the power supply is marginal, camera settings, recording mode, and LCD on or off can make critical differences in camera function. For example, I noticed in the past that the A119 draws slightly more power at the 1080P/60fps resolution than at the 1440P/30fps resolution. Tried to the measure power consumption difference between the A119 and A119S at the same settings, but the measurement was not conclusive.

Also if your USB outlets came with the truck, I've read that some folks experienced problems in cars with built in USB outlets as they don't deliver enough to power the A119/A119S, but I don't have personal experience. {Edit: In any event, you might consider a test, powering your existing USB cable and A119S from a separate cigarette socket using the supplied 12 to 5 Vdc adapter.}

One more possibility to assure success if you must have a longer cable: Consider extending the truck's 12Vdc supply wiring instead of using a longer USB cable.
I've completely forgotten how I had setup my hardwired setup. All I recall was that I had removed the center console soldered the viofo supplied 2 port USB adapter to the 12v vehicle source. I also fitted a 3 port powered USB port that I use for cellphone charging sometimes but not for the front or back camera. The front and back camera plug into the dual Viofo USB which is the one soldered to 12v socket.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The front and back camera plug into the dual Viofo USB which is the one soldered to 12v socket.

you might want to double check (I could well be wrong) but I was under the impression that the dual USB plug they supply is 2A on one USB and 1A on the other which if it is could be the reason why you have low power symptoms on one camera and not the other

The front and back camera plug into the dual Viofo USB which is the one soldered to 12v socket.

you might want to double check (I could well be wrong) but I was under the impression that the dual USB plug they supply is 2A on one USB and 1A on the other which if it is could be the reason why you have low power symptoms on one camera and not the other
Wow. But let's not forget I just did a diagnosist using direct input with same result on my earlier post today.

Close Jokiin..... My Viofo supplied dual plug says 3.1A total so 2 and 1.1 respectively or split in half I don't know ?

EDIT--- I should mention that I have never used it

Wow. But let's not forget I just did a diagnosist using direct input with same result on my earlier post today.

I'm not really clear on what you've tried already but just throwing it out there as something you might want to have a closer look at

I'm not really clear on what you've tried already but just throwing it out there as something you might want to have a closer look at
Basically the monoprice USB cable doesn't work with the A119S .

Basically the monoprice USB cable doesn't work with the A119S .

regardless of which USB port you've plugged into in that dual port adapter?
No , not using the original USB dual port , the dual port that came with the A119S used that for my last few tests which showed the monoprice cable is at fault.

I have attached a photo with the included power supply, and the longer wire. The wire is rated as 22 AWG, 300V.
22 AWG - This answers a question in my mind as neither my A119 or A119S cables were marked. This is why the Viofo A119/A119S long cables are superior to many of the long USB cables used to provide power.

I have attached a photo with the included power supply, and the longer wire. The wire is rated as 22 AWG, 300V.
22 AWG - This answers a question in my mind as neither my A119 or A119S cables were marked. This is why the Viofo A119/A119S long cables are superior to many of the long USB cables used to provide power.
I took a closer look at the monoprice USB cable it's 28awg. My eyes couldn't read much more. I'm going to check my emails for the transaction as it should give me more info about what I'd bought, although it's been a while.

I took a closer look at the monoprice USB cable it's 28awg. My eyes couldn't read much more. I'm going to check my emails for the transaction as it should give me more info about what I'd bought, although it's been a while.

what length is that Monoprice cable?

what length is that Monoprice cable?
It was slightly longer than the one supplied in the box originally. I believe it's 15ft. Now I can't find where my original order was in respect of the monoprice USB cable I had ordered. Maybe it wasn't even Monoprice I had bought.

Only clue I notice so far is from my earlier posts of a few months back where I mentioned buying a USB cable that worked with powering the PS4 joypad .

Need to dig deeper.

if it's that long and 28awg that would be your problem, too much loss over that length, for 12ft cables we use 22awg, we found anything thinner was hit and miss whether it would work or not, the camera starts getting unstable

if it's that long and 28awg that would be your problem, too much loss over that length, for 12ft cables we use 22awg, we found anything thinner was hit and miss whether it would work or not, the camera starts getting unstable
Found the order. It works fine on the A119 though.

5d739f4ffca1d97b330caf51247a71b1.jpg

It works fine on the A119 though.

different hardware
Can you recommend a 15ft cable that will work? Thanks. Or shall I put the A119 in the back of the truck and use the A119s in the front. Back window is factory tinted and I read it's best to have the A119s due to it's sensor in back.

Can you recommend a 15ft cable that will work? Thanks. Or shall I put the A119 in the back of the truck and use the A119s in the front. Back window is factory tinted and I read it's best to have the A119s due to it's sensor in back.

for the time being I'd probably just switch the cameras so that it works, where you get a suitable cable from in that length though I'm not sure, USB cables are generally designed with 500mAh loads in mind, not what we are using them for

Can you recommend a 15ft cable that will work?

Monoprice sells a shielded 15 foot 28/24 AWG cable that may work better for you than the 28/28AWG version. (has gold plated plugs and a ferrite choke).

Features:
  • Uses a non-standard 4-pin USB mini B connector
  • 28 AWG data conductors and 24 AWG power conductors
  • Gold plated connectors ensure a smooth, corrosion-free connection
  • Molded connector heads with molded strain relief boots
  • Shielded to protect against external signal interference
  • Includes a ferrite core to prevent RF and electromagnetic interference

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5455

Can you recommend a 15ft cable that will work?

Monoprice sells a shielded 15 foot 28/24 AWG cable that may work better for you than the 28/28AWG version. (has gold plated plugs and a ferrite choke).

Features:
  • Uses a non-standard 4-pin USB mini B connector
  • 28 AWG data conductors and 24 AWG power conductors
  • Gold plated connectors ensure a smooth, corrosion-free connection
  • Molded connector heads with molded strain relief boots
  • Shielded to protect against external signal interference
  • Includes a ferrite core to prevent RF and electromagnetic interference

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5455
I don't think that will work as ultimately it's still 28awg but with added gold connector and ferrite core.

Back