A129 3-wire kit

@kioneo

Let me know if I understand your set up correctly. I'm interested in switching between modes without going through the cam's menu to enable parking mode when I need it.
ACC ( I )
Completely off ( O )
Constant ( II )

In ( I ), car turns off, cam turns off, no parking mode
In ( O ), cam is off regardless if car is on/off
In ( II ), car turns off, cam stays on, parking mode kicks in

My question is:
1) Do I need to go into the menu to enable parking mode with this kind of set up every time?
Can I leave parking mode enabled (set and forget) and use the switch to use parking mode as needed?​
2) Does the cam shut off as you switch from ( I ) to ( II ) since the switch has to go through ( O ) in order to go to ( II )?
I assume no because switching over is quick and there's some residual power left in the capacitor that keeps the cam on for a second or two​

It’s possible that Viofo will be able to allow the Bluetooth button to turn the parking mode on and off via a long press of the remote button. Just something to keep in mind.

Reactions: Mtz
With inspiration from kioneo, I received my 3 wire kit and went through a similar installation. The camera is installed in a 2016 VW GTI (MK7).

SETUP
- My rocker switch is slightly different where I'm using SPDT (on-on) options. This gives me 2 settings:
1) Camera with Parking Mode (PM), always on.
2) Camera with ACC power only, no parking mode.

- Electrical diagram of setup:
1543795144572.png

INSTALL
- Ran USB cable along the top of windshield. Fed through A pillar behind airbag.
1543795403357.png

- From A pillar, cable tucked down weather strip and fed into side of dash
1543795596227.png

- Photo of my fuse box, behind a small storage bin. Using a multimeter I was able to find unused slots to utilize. Battery fuse tap used shown by red arrow, ACC using slot with yellow arrow.
1543795857266.png

- I took a small project box to house the rocker switch.
1543796029478.png

- Yellow wires is the ACC feed and red used for BAT +/- feed. The switch I used is: https://www.onlinecomponents.com/philmore-mfg./30460-12168152.html
1543796066007.png

- Here's the wire kit connected. I have access to the voltage settings on the harness by popping out the storage bin.

Note - Test your fuse taps prior to plugging in, the pin with load must match the load side on the fuse box. Also the fuse servicing the camera should be plugged into the right slot on the fuse tap, I wound up using 5A fuses. This was also discussed here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...t-way-and-a-wrong-way.7524/page-9#post-442698

1543796639566.png

- Photos of finished product, switch mounted just under the storage bin:
1543797087370.png

- Continued on next thread...

Attachments

• 1543795001313.png
    1543795001313.png
    43.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2570.jpg
    IMG_2570.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 29
Update on my wiring. So as of right now I'm noticing the following. It'll be a while before I can troubleshoot, but will let you know. Also, I haven't nailed down all the factors, so I'm just sharing my observations presently. Of note, I'm still on 1.5 beta.

Sometimes I notice the camera doesn't power up when I have my switch set to "ACC only" mode. However, if I turn my switch to "OFF" and wait a few seconds (say 5-10), then flip it back to ACC it works and the camera powers on. Once I do that, the camera will power on every single time I stop and start the car, just like it should. So far, this only occurs if I've been on my "Battery/Parking" switch setting and then switch it to ACC before I power off the car (such as when I park in my garage).

I too have noticed this in my setup I'm using the public firmware 1.5. I had my switch in ACC only and upon starting the ignition the camera would not power on. Once I flipped the switch to PM mode, the camera powered up.

So, I have much more troubleshooting to do. Such as, does the behavior continue if I switch to ACC after I turn the car off? Am I possibly seeing some kind of "memory" as to what mode the 3-wire adapter or camera was in last? (I somehow doubt it) Does the official 1.5 firmware change anything? Is the voltage to/from the 3-wire adapter somehow being interrupted? Will a 10 second bootup delay help (I'm set to 5)?

Anyway, lots to troubleshoot and I'll let you know what I find. It'll just be a while until I get back to it. At present, the above is the only problem I notice. Even at that, as long as I listen for the chime to make sure the camera boots every time I start the car, it's been fantastic having parking mode as an option. :)

I'll be closely monitoring my behavior as well.

@kioneo

Let me know if I understand your set up correctly. I'm interested in switching between modes without going through the cam's menu to enable parking mode when I need it.
ACC ( I )
Completely off ( O )
Constant ( II )

In ( I ), car turns off, cam turns off, no parking mode
In ( O ), cam is off regardless if car is on/off
In ( II ), car turns off, cam stays on, parking mode kicks in

My question is:
1) Do I need to go into the menu to enable parking mode with this kind of set up every time?
Can I leave parking mode enabled (set and forget) and use the switch to use parking mode as needed?​
2) Does the cam shut off as you switch from ( I ) to ( II ) since the switch has to go through ( O ) in order to go to ( II )?
I assume no because switching over is quick and there's some residual power left in the capacitor that keeps the cam on for a second or two​

Yup, all of your above is correct. You can keep your preferred parking mode options set in the camera (I use low bitrate, for example) and then use the switch to determine if it actually goes into parking mode (since any other setting but II, the camera will be off when the car is off).

If I'm relatively fast on the switch, the camera doesn't even seem to notice. Almost like flipping the switch such that O doesn't even exist, you just roll right through it.

I have been having issues with the parking mode. I have the 3 wire kit. I recently just downloaded the 1.5 firmware to add the different parking mode options. I choose the motion/event parking mode option. I put it back in my car this morning, saw it started recording. I drove few min to work. parked... saw it did not turn off right away when I shut the car off. I triple checked the 3 wires are plugged correctly, its the same fuses and ground i always use for testing.

when i got back to my car tonight after work it was off, my battery could be getting low and its freezing out so no big deal. Get home, check the footage, all the footage from this morning was gone... but all the footage from the last several days was still on the card. There was NO parking footage what so ever, only my drive home. and the date switched back to 1/1/18.

I checked viofos website, and the manual offers no explanation, do I need to plug in the hardwire kit directly into the camera? I have it connected to the GPS mount. if thats the case thats a huge con against it.

I checked viofos website, and the manual offers no explanation, do I need to plug in the hardwire kit directly into the camera? I have it connected to the GPS mount. if thats the case thats a huge con against it.
It's been mentioned a few times here that the hardwire kit needs to be plugged into the camera directly, not the GPS mount. Apparently there are not enough pins in the camera to mount connection to support the hardwire kit.

Reactions: Mtz
It's been mentioned a few times here that the hardwire kit needs to be plugged into the camera directly, not the GPS mount. Apparently there are not enough pins in the camera to mount connection to support the hardwire kit.
ok thanks, i watched a video on youtube and the guy had it plugged in there put didnt mention it. thats disappointing because the rear camera and 3 wire kit are both 90 degrees and interfere with each other.

also i noticed i had the kit set to 12.4v cut off, in the freezing cold that might be why it was shutting down. switched it to 12v. I have a jump starter battery in my car if I ever go too low, hopefully I don't hah.

ok thanks, i watched a video on youtube and the guy had it plugged in there put didnt mention it. thats disappointing because the rear camera and 3 wire kit are both 90 degrees and interfere with each other.
To what degree? Overlap? I have the kit but have yet to install and your comment is alarming. Whats the remedy? Get some sort of adapter???

To what degree? Overlap? I have the kit but have yet to install and your comment is alarming. Whats the remedy? Get some sort of adapter???
Both connections will fit, it’s just the power cable from the Hardwire kit needs to tuck in front (towards the windshield) of the rear camera cable.

Guys, can you check this switch is ok?

I ordered but then noticed it was 3A

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113169357193
That is fine, but note that since it is rated at 3A, you should protect it with a 3A or probably 2A fuse in your fuse tap, not a 5A one, otherwise if there is a short circuit to ground then the switch may burst into flames before the fuse blows. The camera will take less than 1A at 12V so 2A is fine.

3A at 250V is rated for 750W! It'll be plenty to handle the draw. However it didn't indicate if this was a SPDT rocker, assuming that you're trying to do something similar as kioneo...
It does say that it is a 3 position switch, and given the 3 pins there is not much doubt that it is a SPDT switch.

Only question is which pin is which, a multi-meter will answer that.

FYI: Anyone waiting to order this on Amazon, the FBA (Fulfilled By Amazon) stock just arrived.
A129 Hardwire kit listing is live. It might be hard to find since it's so new, just search for B07JQ1JYPJ or A129HW

Back