VIOFO A229 DUO FIRMWARE

The Viofo app for IOS has been updated.
Version 3.6

My firmware mod based on v1.2-20230413

I have just downloaded the firmware. I will load it on the dashcam and update it here with the changes I notice.

A small doubt, I have the old firmware file in my laptop, can I load that back in case I encounter any issues with this modded firmware without having to reset the whole dashcam?

I have just downloaded the firmware. I will load it on the dashcam and update it here with the changes I notice.

A small doubt, I have the old firmware file in my laptop, can I load that back in case I encounter any issues with this modded firmware without having to reset the whole dashcam?
You can install any firmware on the DVR, but you will have to reboot it after installing the firmware.

can I load that back in case I encounter any issues with this modded firmware without having to reset the whole dashcam?
You can revert back to any firmware version. But after any firmware update (even official FW from Viofo) dashcam reset all setting to default. It is normal, just set your preferable settings again.

Improvements:
08/07/22 - Added every minute monitoring of the processor temperature to the file on the memory card T.txt. Create a file with this name in the root of the SD-card to start monitoring or delete this file if monitoring is not needed. Thermal monitoring use /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp as source of values in thermal zone (internal CPU sensor).

I was particularly interested in this modification to know what temperatures the dashcam reaches with the usage of 20-30 minutes at a stretch in the afternoon time where the temperature hovers around 33 to 35 degrees centigrade.

I have created the "T.txt" file in the folder as shown below:
T.txt file.png

Is this correct or am I wrong? Please help. Thank you.

Is this correct or am I wrong?
If your file explorer in Windows set to "Show file extensions - enabled" then yes, everything is OK

If your file explorer in Windows set to "Show file extensions - enabled" then yes, everything is OK
I'll have to check that.

I drove from home to work today morning and checked the '.txt' file, it is empty.

If you don't know where find "Show file extensons" option in Windows you may check it via another way: right mouse click -> Create -> Text document and set file name as "T" (without "txt" extension) and press Enter. And if this file will be open automatically in Notepad on mouse double click on it - it's mean that your file explorer hide all file extensions. So you should set filename "T".
Also check that you have "Codec" option in menu to be sure that FW mod installed.

My temperature max. for A229Duo was 140`C on chipset in parking mode with low bitrate recording on direct sun midday.

My temperature max. for A229Duo was 140`C on chipset in parking mode with low bitrate recording on direct sun midday.

It worked. Got the maximum temperature to be around 93`C.

16:51:24 - 41'C (DashCam started)
17:32:00 - 93'C (DashCam Turned Off)

I've uploaded the file as well.

Attachments

• T.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 14
Only thermal logging at this moment.

Only thermal logging at this moment.
Tks, can we decrease the default time (5 min) for entering the parking mode in the mod firmware?
Please keep in mind you're posting in the older A229 Duo firmware thread which is not the same as the firmware you're discussing since the 231208 firmware only exists for the A229 Pro and A229 Plus dash cameras.

Hi,

I downloaded latest firmware to A229 Duo and put it to root of the micro-sd card. Then I inserted card back to camera and powered on. Red light blinked rapidly for a while. Then camera said, card error, format the card. I did that on my pc (exfat, default allocation size). Card is Sandisk 128GB and it works perfecly if I copy files to or from it with my pc.

But camera does not power on any more. Only constant red light when in power cord. I tried hard reset button, but still only constant red light.

Is the camera permanently bricked, or is there any trick to try to recover it?

Try the firmware again with a new Viofo recommended card. I use a Sandisk Max Endurance 128 in mine. Sounds like the firmware is corrupted in the cam and it doesn't like your card. I don't think you bricked it permanently. SD cards go bad over time and use but some SD cards degrade faster than others because of the constant writing of files. Which card do you have.

Back