A229 Pro Test & Review PP

Has anyone tested the heat output of the A229 Plus/Pro?
While the A229 Pro has heatsink (And the Plus does not), it records at a higher res (4K) which results in higher bitrate which equals to more heat.
I don't mind spending the $$$ for the Pro, however I need something that will survive heat better (As much as 40C in summer) and the one that heat less while in use (I will use my camera for front and rear only).
Any ideas?

Shoutout to @VIOFO-Support for sending over some CPL Filters for the REAR cameras of the A229 Pro & A229 Plus for testing.
Ever since I reviewed the original A229 Duo August 2022, one of my “CONS” was no available CPL Filter for the REAR camera.
Due to the angle of my rear window glare is very noticeable.
Installation was semi-permanent by dabbing a glob of 5-minute epoxy on the four corners of the CPL Filter.
I can already see improvement in glare reduction just from the garage lighting.
I’m excited to see daytime driving results, and how much the filter impacts night time driving.

Attachments

• A229 Duo Review August 2022 .png
    A229 Duo Review August 2022 .png
    480 KB · Views: 68
  • 3 .jpg
    3 .jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 60
  • CPL Filter Off .png
    CPL Filter Off .png
    1.5 MB · Views: 57
  • CPL Filter On .png
    CPL Filter On .png
    1.4 MB · Views: 53
  • Rear Window Angle 1 .png
    Rear Window Angle 1 .png
    1.4 MB · Views: 58
  • Rear Window Angle 2 .png
    Rear Window Angle 2 .png
    1.4 MB · Views: 55
  • 2 .jpg
    2 .jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 1 .jpg
    1 .jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 66
  • CPL Filter Inside & Outside .jpeg
    CPL Filter Inside & Outside .jpeg
    241 KB · Views: 63
  • CPL Filters .jpg
    CPL Filters .jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 68
I for sure prefer to have CPL on rear camera too.

You've given us too few relevant parameters ! ... Yes there are a few things that should be checked:
0 - how did you conclude that temperature was the cause of the parking mode termination ?
1 - how exactly the parking mode is set (all parameters - recording time)
2 - how is the voltage set for limit shutdown
3 - what is the temperature of the environment behind the glass next to the daschcam
4- the exact type of SD card is ?

I can tell you mine is fine driving but parked, it's constantly overheating with parking mode on regardless of what settings it's on, even in 25 degree Celsius days. I've tried low bit rate, I've tried low resolution, I've tried event based detection (really power hungry, hmm wonder if that's why it's HOT), time lapse isn't good enough for events. I'm now seriously considering adding a PROPER heatsink / fan and some thermal shading to the section of glass, as it's getting ridiculous and 40C days are coming soon here. I'd love to hear from someone who's found a solution, since I have the latest firmware and it's still the same. The images are amazing though lol.

I'd love a solution that isn't get a 2k camera instead
@gokumars
The purpose of this thread to post my testing results of the A229 Pro.
Please start your own thread to discuss your issues.
-Chuck

@viofo @VIOFO-Support
Here’s Daytime highway & city test footage of the A229 Pro REAR with a CPL Filter fitted.
Weather conditions were opposite of ideal, (100% cloudy overcast).
So far I am really liking the results of the CPL Filter.
Next I plan to film the same test loops at night to see how dark the CPL Filter makes the footage.

1 .jpg
2 .jpg
3 .jpg

Highway Rear;

City Rear;

Highway & City Front just in case someone asks;

Thanks for the comparison, I just received mine today and I'm curious to how it"ll perform with my tinted rear windshield. Now to figure out how I want to attach it.

If we're seeing good benefits from the CPL on a rear cam then what would be really nice if there was a snap on "cage" like thing with a CPL in it, so we could slide it over the rear cam. I'm a clumsy oaf, so would get the glue everywhere if I tried a DIY solution. Maybe someone with the skills and knowledge could knock up a 3D printable holder / cage thing? Or VIOFO could come up with a first party solution.

If we're seeing good benefits from the CPL on a rear cam then what would be really nice if there was a snap on "cage" like thing with a CPL in it, so we could slide it over the rear cam. I'm a clumsy oaf, so would get the glue everywhere if I tried a DIY solution. Maybe someone with the skills and knowledge could knock up a 3D printable holder / cage thing? Or VIOFO could come up with a first party solution.
You have V3. Try the CPL filter from it. ;)

what would be really nice if there was a snap on "cage" like thing with a CPL in it, so we could slide it over the rear cam.
I’ve been asking Viofo to make “user friendly” CPL Filters for the rear camera ever since I reviewed the original A229 Duo August 2022.

August 2022 .png

Shoutout to @VIOFO-Support for sending over some CPL Filters for the REAR cameras of the A229 Pro & A229 Plus for testing.
Ever since I reviewed the original A229 Duo August 2022, one of my “CONS” was no available CPL Filter for the REAR camera.
Due to the angle of my rear window glare is very noticeable.
Installation was semi-permanent by dabbing a glob of 5-minute epoxy on the four corners of the CPL Filter.
I can already see improvement in glare reduction just from the garage lighting.
I’m excited to see daytime driving results, and how much the filter impacts night time driving.
@Panzer Platform - Nice DIY; I would probably mess up and get adhesive everywhere on the lens.
@VIOFO-Support - Is there any chance the rear camera CPL filter accessory/attachment will be made for purchase?

@Panzer Platform - Nice DIY; I would probably mess up and get adhesive everywhere on the lens.
@VIOFO-Support - Is there any chance the rear camera CPL filter accessory/attachment will be made for purchase?
Thanks for your suggestion (y) . We are working on this and trying to make it easiest for our customers to install it.

1 Minute Video Clip (430MB) Download Speed Test
@rcg530 @safedrivesolutions @Vortex Radar

Viofo rolled out their new “wired” OTA Firmware Updates & Video Clip Downloads using the smartphone APP with 4 new YouTube video tutorials, (2 for iOS & 2 for Android);

In order to take advantage of the new data transfer protocol you must have;
1.)
Compatible Smartphone, (must have USB Type-C connection)
iPhone 15, or “newer” Android device
2.)
Compatible Dash Cam, (must have USB Type-C connection)
A139, A139 Pro
T130
A229 Duo, A229 Plus, A229 Pro
A119 Mini, A119 Mini 2
WM1
VS1
3.)
Standard USB 2.0 Type-C to Type-C Data Cable

Q: How much faster is the Type-C data transfer compared to 5GHz Wi-Fi when downloading a 1 Minute Clip (430MB)?
A: In order to get a benchmark time, I tested my iPhone SE 2020 with the A229 Pro.
It took 44 Seconds to download a 1 Minute Clip (430MB).
Unfortunately, I do not have a compatible USB Type-C smartphone to finish the comparison.
I’m hoping @rcg530 or @safedrivesolutions has a compatible smartphone / tablet and is willing to test it out, and maybe even document it with a short YouTube Video.

Attachments

• A229 Pro 1 Minute Clip = 430MB .jpg
    A229 Pro 1 Minute Clip = 430MB .jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 44 Seconds .jpg
    44 Seconds .jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 4
  • iPhone SE 2020 iOS 17.0.3 .jpg
    iPhone SE 2020 iOS 17.0.3 .jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 5
  • App Version 4.0 .png
    App Version 4.0 .png
    98 KB · Views: 5
  • Viofo YouTube Channel .png
    Viofo YouTube Channel .png
    458.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Video Description Box  .png
    Video Description Box .png
    563.1 KB · Views: 4
So I tried that CPL filter for the back camera and I got this weird rainbow effect. Have you had this happen before? First picture is without, second is with. 1000016939.jpg1000016940.jpg

That could indicate your rear window have some form of polarizer / filter on it

My grey good not remembering what it is called, but @Dashmellow will know

Does having ceramic tint with a CPL filter cause problems like rainbows?

So I tried that CPL filter for the back camera and I got this weird rainbow effect
Getting the rainbow effect when adding a CPL Filter is usually due to aftermarket window tint, or even some factory window tint.
I guess this is one of the reasons CPL Filters do not come standard on all dash cams.
You can also try getting a black dashmat, or similar for your parcel shelf to cut down on window glare.
Oh yeah the CPL Filter is "directional", (see attached photo").
-Chuck

Attachments

• CPL Filter Inside & Outside .jpeg
    CPL Filter Inside & Outside .jpeg
    241 KB · Views: 27
Back