12-hour always-on parking mode from 4 cams. Is this do-able?

poodlewidamohawk

Reaction score
Country
United States
The one and only electronics shop in town who might tackle the install doesn't have good cams, so I need to order something cost effective, yet...effective. My car was vandalized, and it's making me anxious that I don't have "eyes" on it yet in case they hit again. (Or in case they want to see if it's been fixed yet.:))

My dream setup is 4 cams that are always on parking mode (motion detection; g-sensor). They need to be powered for the 12 hours I must leave the car in full sun. I know from this forum that the side cameras will need to have wide lenses to capture as much as possible. I also need capacitors (heat) and some way to safely power the cams. Unsure if a hardwire with battery protection would be better, or if I should use something like a Cellink B, or both, for 4 cams. If not do-able, then two wide lens side cams.

Won't neet to record while driving or even stay on at any other time, just 12 hours a day, 3 or 4 days a week. Ideally, the necessary cams and power supply and other equipment will be under $500. If I have to go over budget to do this correctly, I certainly will. Any ideas, or can someone point me to a vendor who may be able to advise me on this? :confused:

You might have a look at this thread:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...he-side-cameras-in-a-4-camera-ch-setup.21600/
It's almost always better to use outside cams for parking protection when you can because they will 'see' so much more and that is what they are designed to do. Dashcams aren't meant for this but are better than nothing when there is no better solution available. And no security system stops evil acts- they only give evidence of who committed them- so your first line of defense is insurance and taking whatever precautions you can to reduce risk.

Phil

Yeah i do prefer my IP camera on the car at home, not least since the back yard where its parked at night there is only 1-2 Lux of light at best.

192.168.1.100-CAM_1-2016-01-21-13-12-48.jpg

192.168.1.100-CAM_1-2016-05-11-15-22-15.jpg

But even it have its issues once in a while ( no defog on this cheap camera )

192.168.1.100-CAM_1-2016-06-24-00-24-19.jpg

And since that camera is a PTZ one i can use it to get a little closed, like when the kids in the house out back had a visit at night by plain clothe police looking for drugs.

I wish i was able to afford a small 10 X zoom PTZ camera, and that with the new starvis sensors, then i could keep a eye on the street side of the block too.
Like when the little old demented woman on the first floor forgot her food on the stove, i could have gotten a better capture than this

Last edited:
Great shots. Haven't got around to doing IP cams at home yet. Until recently, I've always thought of this as something like Andy Griffith's Mayberry. Hard to believe there are now crack heads to the left of me, meth heads to the right, at least in the more remote areas: They drive by, faces pressed against glass...what are they looking for? But first, really would like to find out which fine, upstanding, Trump supporter of a coworker did this to my car. Thanks for adding to my to-do list, btw (hmm, IP cams...). :confused:

Crack and Meth have never caught on here to my knowledge, and i do know a little more than most as i was in the seller/distributor game for a while when i was young and really stupid.
But back then it was mostly weed and speed/cocaine and various pills that went over the counter.

Off course i have not seen any of those guys for a decade or 2, so my assumption regarding Crack and Meth is based on what i read in the news.

The warrior G1S action camera might be usable for you, as i recall it have 8 hour recording time off the internal battery, and it is based on the IMX291 sensor which mean it is as light sensitive as it get.
It also support H265 that compress footage even more so there is room for more on the SD card, but H265 also mean you cant handle it on a cheapo PC
A few guys in here have run into trouble with H265 from the Mobius 2 camera, but my 4 year old quadcore computer handle it well ( 3.2 GHZ )

There is a little footage from the warrior G1S on youtube, it is compared to a gopro 3 i think it is and its a whole lot more light sensitive than that one.

Back