2 Mobius or 1 Lukas 7950 or a Blackvue 550 or 650

Sorry, but I have no experience with that camera. However, I do recall the cf-100 being discussed here recently. There are a lot of nice solutions that would work for you. Search for a specific camera, and I am sure it has been discussed. In the end you will find what works for you.

Gabacho

My interest is peaking at the Street Guard. If you were going to compare just the image quality of the SG vs the Mobius what would be your main comments?

I think it has come down to either a Street Guardian SGZC12RC or sg9665gc

Ironic how these were not even in my list originally.

I think it has come down to either a Street Guardian SGZC12RC or sg9665gc

Ironic how these were not even in my list originally.
Any Street Guardian product is an excellent choice. The service and support is the best around.

Any Street Guardian product is an excellent choice. The service and support is the best around.

Yes I have been reading how well they service their customers.

Being in Canada where do you think I should I go for best price?

Pier28 usually directs you to Amazon.ca as he is the seller there.

I recently picked up 2 Blackvue DR650 GW -1ch cameras from Alex at Blackboxmycar.com he carries a different cameras and has great customer service .

The camera could have a better bit rate (compressed video) and the video is a little darker at night then the finevue CR500HD's I replaced with the blackvue's

Over all am happy with my new camera choice and will order my next replacement cameras from Alex when the time comes to change out my blackvue's

You might want to check with @Calgary Dash Camera - Robert a respected member here located in Canada for his advice as well.
Calgary Dashcam is our distributor in Canada, @Calgary Dash Camera - Robert is the man to speak to there

Hey! Sorry I am late to the Party. Was feeling rather burnt out lately, and took ..

Certainly sounds like you have narrowed down your choices well.
Lukas 7950 defiantly has all the bells and whistles, great video, and reliability.
The SG966GC is certainly the most discreet option, and probably has the best video quality.
There are numerous advantages to both dual system, and running two separate systems. Personally I prefer dual systems, everything recorded to one place, and controllable from one device.

I would never suggest a blackvue. Just watch this video if you want to see why.

H
Hey! Sorry I am late to the Party. Was feeling rather burnt out lately, and took ..

Certainly sounds like you have narrowed down your choices well.
Lukas 7950 defiantly has all the bells and whistles, great video, and reliability.
The SG966GC is certainly the most discreet option, and probably has the best video quality.
There are numerous advantages to both dual system, and running two separate systems. Personally I prefer dual systems, everything recorded to one place, and controllable from one device.

I would never suggest a blackvue. Just watch this video if you want to see why.

Hi Robert.

Thanks for the info. What would be the advantages of going with a Lukas Dual over a Street Guardian and a Mobius.

What would be the advantages of going with a Street Guardian and a Mobius instead of a Lukas Dual.

A mobius is plenty for a rear camera, no matter which you have back there it will only provide useable footage in daytime and in a street at night with plenty of light.
Out of town at night you will only get darkenss and maybe some headlights on a rear camera.

For overall day and night performance the SG products with the Sony IMX 322 CMOS beat the Mobius hands down, but factoring in price then the mobius is a camera we still have to mention though its pretty old by now.

Only advantage with a Lukas dual over DIY SG/mobius is lukas have footage in one place ( front camera )
With the DIY dual setup you have to get into the back of your car to retrive footage off the mobius, for that reason i prefer to retrive the whole camera, so i have my camera on a neodynium magnet on the frame of the rear hatch in my little hatchback.

I dont want to mess with getting the little SD card out of a mobius, not least at night in the dark yard where my car is parked, so i retrive the whole camera.

A mobius is plenty for a rear camera, no matter which you have back there it will only provide useable footage in daytime and in a street at night with plenty of light.
Out of town at night you will only get darkenss and maybe some headlights on a rear camera.

For overall day and night performance the SG products with the Sony IMX 322 CMOS beat the Mobius hands down, but factoring in price then the mobius is a camera we still have to mention though its pretty old by now.

Only advantage with a Lukas dual over DIY SG/mobius is lukas have footage in one place ( front camera )
With the DIY dual setup you have to get into the back of your car to retrive footage off the mobius, for that reason i prefer to retrive the whole camera, so i have my camera on a neodynium magnet on the frame of the rear hatch in my little hatchback.

I dont want to mess with getting the little SD card out of a mobius, not least at night in the dark yard where my car is parked, so i retrive the whole camera.

Kamkar1 thanks for the input. Makes sense. I loke the magnet idea. I had made some magnet moints for devices before using rare earth magnets and different brackets etc. Sounds like the Mobius can be geared up good.

I think I may start with the Mobius and then in a little bit when funds are better grab a Street Guardian.

What is your take of the SG9665GC or SGZC12RC?

Video quality is similar between the SG9665GC and SGZC12RC, but very slightly better with the SG9665GC as far as I understand.

I chose the 12RC because it has pre buffered motion detection making it ideal for hardwiring and parking mode. It's also more discreet but it does have the remote unit. But I don't mind having that tucked away in my glovebox or behind the dash. My car doesn't have the black spots on the windscreen around the rear view mirror meaning the SG9665GC would also be more noticeable.

Ill try and give you my best personal and professional opinion with no bias, but it will be tough.

I am going to leave out Mobius from the comparison because I don't know enough about them to confidently give advice.

Street Guardian over Lukas,
-First and foremost support. I don't know of any other manufacture (in any industry) who personally provides such personal, quick, effective, and accessible support. Moreover there is a entire team of us who are there for support. None more prominent then Jon from Peir28. You can be sure that if you have any question or problem, that it will be answered and resolved the quickest with Street Guardian.
Of course we provide great support with Lukas too. However its honestly not at this level yet ;)
-Secondly if you are looking for a camera that you can set and forget, and maybe not even notice the SG966GC or SGZC12RC are the top of the top for this.
-Video quality is the best out there I have seen yet. They make no sacrifices when it comes to this.

To summarize. Street Guardian has focused, designed, and manufactured their time on provided the best product they can from the basics up. Only developing a new feature when they can do it right. Never sacrificing quality, and user experience for a nice to have luxury like that Lukas offers. The have and will always put the basics first.

Lukas over Street Guardian

-Tons of useful features built in. They are fully loaded cameras.
-You have automatic parking mode. The camera knows when you park your car. It automatically goes into a parking mode which is essentially a motion detection mode. (The Street Guardian line up has a motion detection mode too. However you need to go into the menu and enable it every time you park, and disable it when you drive). The Lukas will then capture and differentiate motion and impacts. Even better, you can choose from a grid 4X3 grid where you want the camera to notice motion. This allows you to tell the camera to ignore say the busy street that it sees in the upper right conner.
-Built in adjustable low voltage cut off function.
-Dedicated Lukas Viewer computer program to view your video along with the GPS data, 3axis G-sensor data and if using OBD2 data. Along with a settings menu so that you can adjust anything you want from the comport of your computer, and not on a small screen.

I could probably go on. But lets leave it at this for now.

Ill try and give you my best personal and professional opinion with no bias, but it will be tough.

I am going to leave out Mobius from the comparison because I don't know enough about them to confidently give advice.

Street Guardian over Lukas,
-First and foremost support. I don't know of any other manufacture (in any industry) who personally provides such personal, quick, effective, and accessible support. Moreover there is a entire team of us who are there for support. None more prominent then Jon from Peir28. You can be sure that if you have any question or problem, that it will be answered and resolved the quickest with Street Guardian.
Of course we provide great support with Lukas too. However its honestly not at this level yet ;)
-Secondly if you are looking for a camera that you can set and forget, and maybe not even notice the SG966GC or SGZC12RC are the top of the top for this.
-Video quality is the best out there I have seen yet. They make no sacrifices when it comes to this.

To summarize. Street Guardian has focused, designed, and manufactured their time on provided the best product they can from the basics up. Only developing a new feature when they can do it right. Never sacrificing quality, and user experience for a nice to have luxury like that Lukas offers. The have and will always put the basics first.

Lukas over Street Guardian

-Tons of useful features built in. They are fully loaded cameras.
-You have automatic parking mode. The camera knows when you park your car. It automatically goes into a parking mode which is essentially a motion detection mode. (The Street Guardian line up has a motion detection mode too. However you need to go into the menu and enable it every time you park, and disable it when you drive). The Lukas will then capture and differentiate motion and impacts. Even better, you can choose from a grid 4X3 grid where you want the camera to notice motion. This allows you to tell the camera to ignore say the busy street that it sees in the upper right conner.
-Built in adjustable low voltage cut off function.
-Dedicated Lukas Viewer computer program to view your video along with the GPS data, 3axis G-sensor data and if using OBD2 data. Along with a settings menu so that you can adjust anything you want from the comport of your computer, and not on a small screen.

I could probably go on. But lets leave it at this for now.

Fantastic summary! Hours worth of research summed up! Thank you!

Now I just have to decide GC or RC ........

Kamkar1 do you have a pic of your mount using the magnets?

(The Street Guardian line up has a motion detection mode too. However you need to go into the menu and enable it every time you park, and disable it when you drive).

Hi Robert,

I haven't yet installed my 12RC yet, but I plan on hardwiring it to a BDP and setting the motion detect to medium/ high and leaving it permanently that way. Wouldn't you consider this a set and forget parking mode? I'm assuming that as soon as the car starts moving the camera will turn on due to the motion, and when the car is stationary and parked it will capture any motion in front of it.

Last edited:
Hi Robert,

I haven't yet installed my 12RC yet, but I plan on hardwiring it to a BDP and setting the motion detect to medium/ high and leaving it permanently that way. Wouldn't you consider this a set and forget parking mode? I'm assuming that as soon as the car starts moving the camera will turn on due to the motion, and when the car is stationary and parked it will capture any motion in front of it.

the RC motion detect works quite well, you won't need to switch it on and off

Back