2 Mobius or 1 Lukas 7950 or a Blackvue 550 or 650

I have the dotted area on my windscreen in front of my mirror, so my SG9665GC fit there like a glove and then lens just peek out below the dots.
But the same would be true with the SGZC12RC, though it might even be less noticable from the outside as the camera unit is a little smaller then the bottom lens part of the SG9665GC.

Here is a fjew mobius installs.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/where-did-you-mount-the-camera-post-your-pictures.502/page-27

And my mobius install is here, just know this is the old install, instead of wood and duble sided tape i just have a neodunium magnet there and then some sheet metal i have bend to space out the camera a little more, and that metal is in turn taped to my mobius.

The magnet i use is about 20 mm diameter and 10 mm thick.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/where-did-you-mount-the-camera-post-your-pictures.502/page-14

Plenty of installs ( front and rear ) to browse in the where did you mount your dashcam thread
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/where-did-you-mount-the-camera-post-your-pictures.502/

Hi Robert,

I haven't yet installed my 12RC yet, but I plan on hardwiring it to a BDP and setting the motion detect to medium/ high and leaving it permanently that way. Wouldn't you consider this a set and forget parking mode? I'm assuming that as soon as the car starts moving the camera will turn on due to the motion, and when the car is stationary and parked it will capture any motion in front of it.

Working from memory & the review by @niko , SGZC12RC motion detect is on or off, i.e. there is no medium / high choice.

Mine is set to function full time in motion detect mode, when driving & when parked. Not recommended for most currently available DashCams. But totally reliable with SGZC12RC.

image.jpg

Ill try and give you my best personal and professional opinion with no bias, but it will be tough.

I am going to leave out Mobius from the comparison because I don't know enough about them to confidently give advice.

Street Guardian over Lukas,
-First and foremost support. I don't know of any other manufacture (in any industry) who personally provides such personal, quick, effective, and accessible support. Moreover there is a entire team of us who are there for support. None more prominent then Jon from Peir28. You can be sure that if you have any question or problem, that it will be answered and resolved the quickest with Street Guardian.
Of course we provide great support with Lukas too. However its honestly not at this level yet ;)
-Secondly if you are looking for a camera that you can set and forget, and maybe not even notice the SG966GC or SGZC12RC are the top of the top for this.
-Video quality is the best out there I have seen yet. They make no sacrifices when it comes to this.

To summarize. Street Guardian has focused, designed, and manufactured their time on provided the best product they can from the basics up. Only developing a new feature when they can do it right. Never sacrificing quality, and user experience for a nice to have luxury like that Lukas offers. The have and will always put the basics first.

Lukas over Street Guardian

-Tons of useful features built in. They are fully loaded cameras.
-You have automatic parking mode. The camera knows when you park your car. It automatically goes into a parking mode which is essentially a motion detection mode. (The Street Guardian line up has a motion detection mode too. However you need to go into the menu and enable it every time you park, and disable it when you drive). The Lukas will then capture and differentiate motion and impacts. Even better, you can choose from a grid 4X3 grid where you want the camera to notice motion. This allows you to tell the camera to ignore say the busy street that it sees in the upper right conner.
-Built in adjustable low voltage cut off function.
-Dedicated Lukas Viewer computer program to view your video along with the GPS data, 3axis G-sensor data and if using OBD2 data. Along with a settings menu so that you can adjust anything you want from the comport of your computer, and not on a small screen.

I could probably go on. But lets leave it at this for now.

I am finding myself leaning towards the
SGZC12RC . I dont think it comes with a memory card does it.

Does it need a hardwire kit or is it built in?

Thanks!

Will

All my cameras come with a memory card.
If not from the manufacture. Then normally a 8GB card.
However right now I still have my holiday sale on. Which means the SGZC12RC comes with a 32GB card.
http://www.calgarydashcam.com/shop#...X1-REMOTE-CAMERA/p/51013872/category=12977073
It does not include a hardwire kit though.

One question about the SGZC12RC. When it is installed on front window does the movement of the camera in mount allow you to rotate it to allow it to film inside of the car should one wish to.

I believe definitely the GC model would not for sure right?

No thats not posible with the SGZC12RC or SG9665GC, for that you will need a camera with a ball style mount.

I think you might be able to twist the SGZC12RC in its mount, providing its not a too tight fit.
BUT ! if you place it in the sweet spot right in the mittle of the windscreen and up high, twisting it 180 degrees to film backwards into car would just have the rear view mirror in the way, and the footage will be upside down needing to be flipped 180 in post production ( or maybe the menu of the camera )

I am planning a "cabin" camera, but i am not quite sure where i will be placing it in my car, so far my best guess is the lower Right corner of my windscreen/dashbord.

Will experiment on this when i get one of my small cameras in surplus.

No thats not posible with the SGZC12RC or SG9665GC, for that you will need a camera with a ball style mount.

I think you might be able to twist the SGZC12RC in its mount, providing its not a too tight fit.
BUT ! if you place it in the sweet spot right in the mittle of the windscreen and up high, twisting it 180 degrees to film backwards into car would just have the rear view mirror in the way, and the footage will be upside down needing to be flipped 180 in post production ( or maybe the menu of the camera )

I am planning a "cabin" camera, but i am not quite sure where i will be placing it in my car, so far my best guess is the lower Right corner of my windscreen/dashbord.

Will experiment on this when i get one of my small cameras in surplus.

Thanks again Kamkar1 !

NP M8.
Allso turning a camera to film inside car then you loose coverage of whats its supposed to film in the first place.

I recomend you first get regular coverage of your front and rear, and then when you get more addicted start to make plans for side and cabin cameras.

Working from memory & the review by @niko , SGZC12RC motion detect is on or off, i.e. there is no medium / high choice.

Mine is set to function full time in motion detect mode, when driving & when parked. Not recommended for most currently available DashCams. But totally reliable with SGZC12RC.

View attachment 19923

Thanks russ :D

I figured somthing like that, problem is inside of car is often pretty dark even if you do drive around in town.
I have experimented a little in this regard with my innovv C1 camera, and driving around here in little old Randers where i live i found that daytime is offcourse no problem, and its allso not a problem at night when the interior light is on, but relying on ambient light from the outside filtering in thru the windows at night is not good.
It might work fine in a town with a lot of light pollution, but here in Denmark its not common to spam with light and billbords, though it is getting worse every day.

If it came down to it maybe the audio track from your cameras would be able to help too ??

A camera with help from IR light source is the best, and there are some dashcams like that, problem is if/when you see IR lights on a dashcam its allmost given its a camera with low performance and lifetime.

I figured somthing like that, problem is inside of car is often pretty dark even if you do drive around in town.
I have experimented a little in this regard with my innovv C1 camera, and driving around here in little old Randers where i live i found that daytime is offcourse no problem, and its allso not a problem at night when the interior light is on, but relying on ambient light from the outside filtering in thru the windows at night is not good.
It might work fine in a town with a lot of light pollution, but here in Denmark its not common to spam with light and billbords, though it is getting worse every day.

If it came down to it maybe the audio track from your cameras would be able to help too ??

A camera with help from IR light source is the best, and there are some dashcams like that, problem is if/when you see IR lights on a dashcam its allmost given its a camera with low performance and lifetime.

Kamkar1 you make a lot of sense. Lots to think about. True, the audio from the cam is very important. That discouraged me totally away from the K1s.

I have decided on Street Guard now just have to decide between GC or RC......

Can someone speak to the buyng decision between the 2 street guardian models. The SG966GC and the SGZC12RC

I am having difficulty choosing between the 2. I like the camera mount of the 12rc however then I have to find a place for the seperate unit.

Does the 12rc have better parkibg mode than the SG966GC?

What are the advantages of both and disadvantages of both?

Thanks

Will

Can someone speak to the buyng decision between the 2 street guardian models. The SG966GC and the SGZC12RC
I would have bought SG9665GC in preference to SGZC12RC, if SG9665GC had pre-buffered motion & g-sensing. It doesn't, so I bought SGZC12RC.

If a dashcam doesn't have pre-buffered motion sensing, it doesn't have real parking mode.

I would have bought SG9665GC in preference to SGZC12RC, if SG9665GC had pre-buffered motion & g-sensing. It doesn't, so I bought SGZC12RC.

If a dashcam doesn't have pre-buffered motion sensing, it doesn't have real parking mode.

Hi Russ331 thanks. SonI am thinking that is the major advantage of the RC over the GC is the buffered parking mode.

As far as powering one of these instead of hardwiring it to have it run overnight how many MAH external battery would one need to keep it powered for 12 hours. I am thinking that I might not want something hardwired.

Thanks

Will

As far as powering one of these instead of hardwiring it to have it run overnight how many MAH external battery would one need to keep it powered for 12 hours. I am thinking that I might not want something hardwired.

My DashCams aren't hardwired either. SGZC12RC is plugged into the 12v accessory socket. At the same time it's also plugged into my 5v Anker 13000mAH power bank.

With the SGZC12RC, sited next to it's 12v power socket is a Micro USB socket. It's primary purpose is as a factory service port. It's secondary use is as a 5v power input, as documented by @niko in several videos.

While driving, the camera is powered by the car's 12v supply. When I park & switch off the engine, I simultaneously press the power switch on the power bank, & the camera seamlessly continues recording. The Anker is good for around 16 hours, however, I've had it 2 years, & a new one would probably give a couple more hours.

My DashCams aren't hardwired either. SGZC12RC is plugged into the 12v accessory socket. At the same time it's also plugged into my 5v Anker 13000mAH power bank.

With the SGZC12RC, sited next to it's 12v power socket is a Micro USB socket. It's primary purpose is as a factory service port. It's secondary use is as a 5v power input, as documented by @niko in several videos.

While driving, the camera is powered by the car's 12v supply. When I park & switch off the engine, I simultaneously press the power switch on the power bank, & the camera seamlessly continues recording. The Anker is good for around 16 hours, however, I've had it years, & a new one would probably give a couple more hours.

Fantastic. Thanks!

While driving, the camera is powered by the car's 12v supply. When I park & switch off the engine, I simultaneously press the power switch on the power bank, & the camera seamlessly continues recording. The Anker is good for around 16 hours, however, I've had it 2 years, & a new one would probably give a couple more hours.

Do you have to charge the Anker power supply at home or does your car charge it when it is not being used?

I am a bit confused at how you aatach the CAM to your Anker Supply and the 12v USB in your car at the same time?

Do you have to charge the Anker power supply at home or does your car charge it when it is not being used?

I am a bit confused at how you aatach the CAM to your Anker Supply and the 12v USB in your car at the same time?

I have three power banks, so one can be charging at home while the other is in use, with a spare available if necessary.

See image below. The 12v supply plugs into the DC-IN Jack. The Anker plugs into the USB Port.

image.jpg

Back