200GB microSD cards now available on Amazon.

There used to be issues with some of the older controllers but they're pretty good nowadays and most modern drives would be expected to last the lifetime of a PC.

As it's NAND they do have a limited lifespan but with wear levelling and so on they should last a long time. You hear of firmware bugs where they slow down etc but updates fix that. Samsung had that issue recently.

Nothings perfect and they will die at some point though but fingers crossed mine are all behaving so far.

I've got an older Crucial M4 that's been running 24x7 in a MySQL server that does some heavy writes and it's been going 3.5 years now and hasn't popped yet (I'm probably tempting fate saying that!)

There was a good endurance test of the NAND here:
http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

Certain workloads are more aggressive to SSDs than others but a lot of the time there are things happening in the background to make life easier for SSDs, ie writing in sequential chunks to increase lifespan and so on.

Some of my new toys are storage systems running 11 SSDs and 13 legacy 4TB disks - the speed of those systems is fantastic :)

A lot of the time the hybrid drives work quite well as they work on the basis that the working set is only around 10% of the actual data held - so you'll write a lot of data back but hardly ever read it back so only 10% of the files are active so it doesn't all need to be in the active cache.

Legacy disks do have an advantage from the capacity point of view but that's about it

Last edited:
Samsung Evo are always a popular one mate, I've got Crucial, Sandisk, Samsung and HP and they're all working happily away.

It's kind of like the microSD world where you get different memory types and the pro versions usually use the better memory types that last longer.

They really do transform any PC though - when the disk finally dies in my car head unit I'll swap it for an SSD!

It's like having a whole new computer mate, you'll love it - keep your old disk for archiving dashcam footage and you'll love it :)

It's like having a whole new computer mate, you'll love it - keep your old disk for archiving dashcam footage and you'll love it :)

currently at 11TB of storage, reallocating my 1TB C drive won't free up much space, worst thing would be dealing with a smaller C drive, have to get into the habit of moving files more often I think

Maybe ssd's are better now.
Our company did a pilot program on testing ssd's in 2010.
While they performed well for one application, switching back and forth was sluggish.
I usually have at least 10 applications running some multiple instances and over 30 website tabs.
I may need to try the new generation ssd's and see if they are really improved.

480gb is probably about all I could get away with, my laptop would probably benefit the most but I really should upgrade soon, its had a bit of a caning over the last few years

it's not quite that old but it's only low spec, not easy to get something with the power I need but still small enough to travel with, always a compromise

Some of my new toys are storage systems running 11 SSDs and 13 legacy 4TB disks - the speed of those systems is fantastic :)...
And I thought my new system with 10TB of storage was a bit over the top. :eek:

I think you might be saving too many video clips. :D

That one is for work mate - I do have my Plex collection though at home though :)

ive been using SSDs for 4 years. i currently shoot all video productions on SSDs (shooting film is fading fast). Samsung EVO are tops as well as Sandisk (i know there are many sandisk haters here but experience trumps) in the film and video production industry. some producers won't even work on a production unless specific SSDs are used...

i recently upgraded an aging HTPC with two SSDs and as reverend said, its like night and day. the samsung has native trim support and a very robust app to manage the SSDs.

DashCamMan just updated the calculator page. :)

https://dashcamtalk.com/recording-time-calculator/

Recording Time Calculator

hWgDUMd.png

That calculator ought to be on the home-page of dashcamtalk.com :cool:

ive been using SSDs for 4 years......... me for 2

And as reverend said, its like night and day. the samsung has native trim support and a very robust app to manage the SSDs.

Solid state drives are amazing technology and/but always keep a backup regardless.

Back