2CH Panorama X2. FullHD + FullHD ( 256Gb ). Sony Exmor CMOS. WDR. GPS. 24/7 Parking Mode Rec.

Here's a question -

If the Positive (Red) wire is disconnected, and the ACC wire is still connected, will the dashcam turn off and cease to consume any power?

I'm looking to wire in a manual override for turning off the camera, and I'm thinking of doing it as listed above. However if that doesn't work I'll need to switch the earth lead which isn't preferable.

I just tested it, when I removed BAT+ (Red) wire, the camera powered off. (I left both Ground and ACC connected)
This makes sense since I was told you need both power sources connected to power the camera.
You could probably create a manual override "off" switch as you suggest.

On a related subject, you can combine the BAT+ and ACC wires if you don't want Parking Mode, and wish to power via Cigarette lighter adapter. I just added a new accessory for this minority special case need.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no real risk with switching the ground wire, as long as the camera isn't connected to anything else that's grounded. However, if you're going to wire in a switch, it's just as easy to use a DPST switch to cut power to both BAT+ and ACC.

KuoH

I'm looking to wire in a manual override for turning off the camera, and I'm thinking of doing it as listed above. However if that doesn't work I'll need to switch the earth lead which isn't preferable.

Based off Pier28's comments, I'll be fine switching just the Batt wire. The ACC wire must only be for signalling.

I never said "only Transcend could". And I dont know if all Transcend brands / model "could" or not.
I am sure there might be other 64gb memory cards brand names / models that might work in Fat32 on X2. Its all about test'n'try and share results with other people, what we all do here.

Below is properties from my Transcend Premium 300x 64Gb MicroSDXC I removed and analysed after yesterday drive.

View attachment 9206

View attachment 9207

I have also tested a Samsung 64Gb MicroSDXC Class 10 U1 formatted from exFat to Fat32 by using a SmartDisk., but unfortunately it did not work on X2. In the centre of LCD Display appeared grey semi-transparent box and whole unit freezes. I had to disconnect unit from main power source and wait until capacitors will drain.

So, at the moment for my X2 ( FW .17 ) I have found only 64Gb Transcend Premium 300x MicroSDXC working fine formatted from exFat to Fat32 via SmartDisk. I have yet to test overwriting to be sure full functionality / compatibility.

View attachment 9210

In that case I would like to address that SanDisk extreme & SanDisk ultra also couldn't be read if SDXC converted to FAT32

So is Samsung's SDXC to FAT32

But I am really curious what's so special about Transcend's SDXC that made it possible to be used on the X2 even after converted to FAT32?

I am sure there might be other 64gb memory cards brand names / models that might work in Fat32 on X2. Its all about test'n'try and share results with other people, what we all do here.

;) I do this alllllllllllllllll the time with my Sandisk real world experiences, yet no one wants to believe me nor give Sandisk a fair try. As I have said before, this is the only industry (dashcam) that has ever bashed Sandisk like its the devil. Sandisk is industry standard in flash memory...:rolleyes:

all of THAT said, i just format the cards (two 128gb and two 64 gb SanDisks) in the cam. no issues. I did this with the pano g as well. I will format the cards to fat32 with niko's listed program when i need to install firmware, however thats the only time i do so.

You ran it underneath like I did then?

i ran the cable under the kick plates along side the door.

not all cars are created equal. some cars are cheaply designed and one can pull and prod stuff easily. other cars are designed with a bit more attention to detail. thats just how it is, and i am not going to "carefully" move any airbag sensor, curtain, etc. in my car at all. ;)

running it down the side and under the kick panels were just fine. :cool:

PLUS I get the LED bling ring in an up coming firmware!! I am the only cat in the USA who wants this and I am glad the dev Mr. Moon is giving that option back!!! :oops:

I've still not seen the dimming of the image when coming up to cars in front at night:

As for the AE I'm not sure whether it's using center, average, spot or so on but it really doesn't like it when it rains:

I've noticed the same thing reverend, can barely see numberplates of the car in front at night.

I've still not seen the dimming of the image when coming up to cars in front at night:

As for the AE I'm not sure whether it's using center, average, spot or so on but it really doesn't like it when it rains:

I also have not yet experienced image dimming, or numberplates reading when approaching front car. Maye its because I have Xenon and High Power DRL ?

Yeah, rainy day sucks. I think you have too much dashboard ( you have now 70/30 ), thats why maybe camera thinks to adjust image to brighter exposure ( awb ? ), try 60 / 40 ( 60 below horizon, 40 sky ). Maybe this will help ?

I've noticed the same thing reverend, can barely see numberplates of the car in front at night.
This is a bit worrying. I'm about to buy one so hope it gets sorted in the firmware soon

That is normal on every dashcam with xenon headlights as they overpower the sensor - Niko did a good post on this.

It's the bit about triggering the sensor to darken the picture I can't work out though - Alex has it in his videos so it could be a distance or angle thing maybe?

This is a bit worrying. I'm about to buy one so hope it gets sorted in the firmware soon
It's not that bad in the scheme of things - this camera does better than the majority as they have less dynamic range and so clip well before an Exmor sensor will.

The HDR sensors do a good job of number plate reading up close and the higher end A7 cameras have a SmartAE function but I need to get more milage on these I have to compare :)

The X2 is up towards the top of the pile when it comes to reading number plates - just at night there's nothing on the market yet which could read an oncoming plate at speed at night.

This gives you an idea look - the car to the right is read perfectly well as the reflections aren't overpowering the sensor, whereas the car in front is you can't read as the sensor is overpowered by the light reflecting from the reflective numberplate.

The problem is even worse for me as I run uprated xenon bulbs - the car came with factory xenons but I run Osram Cool Blue Intense bulbs which have a higher colour temperature and a higher lumens output than stock xenon bulbs. The lumens die down over time but these are only six months old. You can see the light cutoff in the second pic along the fence. I might point them down a bit as that would help dashcams.

If you run halogen bulbs it's not anywhere near the issue you have with xenon bulbs.

x2 plate.jpg
x2 plate2.jpg

Nothing to be worried. There are NO ( yet ) dashcams out there that could read no.plates from car light reflection.
X2 is The First who trying to achieve that. Any such innovation takes time to develop, test'n'try etc.
Also, there are NO dashcams yet which can read towards moving cars no.plates even in the early evening. It's all about light conditions and towards moving car speed. Only at nice sunny day, under good circumstances ( no dash reflection ) can read towards moving cars no.plates even on high speed.

This gives you an idea look - the car to the right is read perfectly well as the reflections aren't overpowering the sensor, whereas the car in front is you can't read as the sensor is overpowered by the light reflecting from the reflective numberplate.

The problem is even worse for me as I run uprated xenon bulbs - the car came with factory xenons but I run Osram Cool Blue Intense bulbs which have a higher colour temperature and a higher lumens output than stock xenon bulbs. The lumens die down over time but these are only six months old. You can see the light cutoff in the second pic along the fence. I might point them down a bit as that would help dashcams.

If you run halogen bulbs it's not anywhere near the issue you have with xenon bulbs.

View attachment 9217
View attachment 9218

yeah, also need to remind readers about difference in front moving car no.plates background colour. In many far-east countries they have white no. on blue, green or black background, - it's totally different to situation where no. is on the white background. This might help to understand some things to readers: Reading License Plates at Night. HID / Xenon, standard bulbs

I'm going to pull my cards to see how my videos are, I believe I have halogen lights on both my cars, I purchased two X2 units. Just haven't driven much at night and/or have the recordings of the evening drives.

I own two X2 units. It hasn't been smooth sailing though, on one I have a rear camera not responding issue that I'm working with Jon on. He has had me swap the cards front and back. My cards on this unit are the Transcend 300X 32gb that I picked up from Amazon.

On my other X2, I just put in, I just discovered it has some sort of splotches on the screen, any time the menu box is orange, the display looks like there's uneven coloration in the orange boxes. Other box colors look ok, I will have to take a closer look. On this unit, I'm using Kingston 32gb CL10 90R/45W cards. Haven't contacted Jon yet as I want to try to get some sort of picture.

Anyone seen the splotches or discoloration I'm referring to?

I also have not yet experienced image dimming, or numberplates reading when approaching front car. Maye its because I have Xenon and High Power DRL ?

Yeah, rainy day sucks. I think you have too much dashboard ( you have now 70/30 ), thats why maybe camera thinks to adjust image to brighter exposure ( awb ? ), try 60 / 40 ( 60 below horizon, 40 sky ). Maybe this will help ?
Yeah so far I can't find an angle that suits all weather - it's just camera parameters need tweaking more for our Western weather which is happening all the time.

Are you running 55w xenons or more standard 35w ballasts?

Alex has xenons too - I wondered also if maybe it's because we have too long car bonnets and maybe we can't get close enough to the number plate in front to trigger the darkening? Random but I wondered if it could be something like that as I know we're both in Passats and they have a long bonnet!

Yeah so far I can't find an angle that suits all weather - it's just camera parameters need tweaking more for our Western weather which is happening all the time.

Are you running 55w xenons or more standard 35w ballasts?

Alex has xenons too - I wondered also if maybe it's because we have too long car bonnets and maybe we can't get close enough to the number plate in front to trigger the darkening? Random but I wondered if it could be something like that as I know we're both in Passats and they have a long bonnet!

I have too many bright light infront: 2x 55w 7000K headlights, 2x 5W Osram DRL, 2x 55w 7000K fog. For X2 no.plates reflection test I switch off fog lights, but still can't get dimming working.
Alex has factory Xenons 35w 4300K. Maybe thats the reason why he get numberplates refection / dimming recording working ? ( don't know ).

Last edited:
Anyone seen the splotches or discoloration I'm referring to?
I've not noticed anything to be honest - my first impressions were that it's the best quality screen I've had on a dashcam yet but I've not noticed any splodges. Have you got any pics to show it please?

I have too many bright light infront: 2x 55w 7000K headlights, 2x 5W Osram DRL, 2x 55w 7000K fog. For X2 no.plates reflection test I switch off fog lights, but still can't get dimming working.
Alex has factory Xenons 35w 4300K. Maybe thats the reason why he get numberplates refection / dimming recording working ? ( don't know ).
Possibly - @Sungmoon Jang how is it programmed to work please? If it's a length or size type parameter maybe making it an adjustable parameter in the menu could let it be tweaked to suit different cars.

As for my headlights they're 35w OEM ballasts with 5000k bulbs :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B X2 0
B X2 9
L X2 2
E X2 2
Joelinnh X2 2
Back