A118 Novatek 96650 Full HD 1080P Car Camera DVR

[Question] This dashcam does have a G-Sensor, no?
However, I cannot see the G-Sensor value recorded in the playback with DATAKAM Player

[Question] This dashcam does have a G-Sensor, no?
However, I cannot see the G-Sensor value recorded in the playback with DATAKAM Player
yes but it's not only buggy (on mine if i have g-sensor turned on, it eventually stops recording and says card full, even though no files are locked), but all it does is lock a file in case of a sudden shock (ie: crash) or high-G load like hard braking or cornering. it would be nice if it recorded the actual G-data (i could really use that in my race car!) but i don't think it does. if it did, it would need a calibration option in the settings so that it would know which way is up and forward, since the camera is never mounted at the same angle or direction in every car.

yes but it's not only buggy (on mine if i have g-sensor turned on, it eventually stops recording and says card full, even though no files are locked), but all it does is lock a file in case of a sudden shock (ie: crash) or high-G load like hard braking or cornering. it would be nice if it recorded the actual G-data (i could really use that in my race car!) but i don't think it does. if it did, it would need a calibration option in the settings so that it would know which way is up and forward, since the camera is never mounted at the same angle or direction in every car.

G-Sensor does not need calibrating to work, there is a type of G-Sensor used in some cameras that has a calibration function but it's specific to that type of sensor, it's not related to being able to log the data or not

G-Sensor does not need calibrating to work, there is a type of G-Sensor used in some cameras that has a calibration function but it's specific to that type of sensor, it's not related to being able to log the data or not
my point was that if you were logging the accelerometer data, you would need a baseline calibration with the car sitting flat and level, and then accelerate straight forward then stop, so the device would know which way it was facing. otherwise, the g-forces measured won't be accurate. and in the case of a rear-facing cam, they'd be flipped on one axis. this is especially true with a camera like this which, with its rotating lens, it can be mounted either horizontally or vertically, which at the extremes would mean the Y and Z axes (up/down and fore/aft) would be swapped.

but since the accelerometer in the B40/A118 isn't used like that, it's all moot.

do you know whether a bug associated w/ the sensor was fixed in a firmware after the 0523 version? pretty sure that turning off the sensor is what fixed the "card full" problem i was having.

even if the data is logged doesn't mean it needs calibrating, some chipsets auto calibrate, some don't, hardware dependent

not aware of any G-Sensor related bug in that version, there were other file handling bugs that we had fixed that have possibly flowed down into the generic version firmware

Now that ihave had a chance to review my A118's footage I am disappointed. When going between bright and shaded sections of road the camera appears to be over compensating with the auto exposure resulting in a flicker effect. Has anyone seen this issue before? I have just upgraded the firmware to 0821 so will retest tomorrow, I was on 0714 firmware before.

I couldn't find it being stated anywhere, but does this camera have an auto-start and auto-stop recording function? Such as auto-record after I start to drive or turn the car on?

Would you mind to share a screenshot here?

Now that ihave had a chance to review my A118's footage I am disappointed. When going between bright and shaded sections of road the camera appears to be over compensating with the auto exposure resulting in a flicker effect. Has anyone seen this issue before? I have just upgraded the firmware to 0821 so will retest tomorrow, I was on 0714 firmware before.

When going between bright and shaded sections of road the camera appears to be over compensating with the auto exposure resulting in a flicker effect. Has anyone seen this issue before? I have just upgraded the firmware to 0821 so will retest tomorrow, I was on 0714 firmware before.

I had such effects when the lense was pointing to high, set it "one click" down - and everything was ok; have you tried experimenting with the lense-adjustment?

(otherwhise I would recommend to upload some footage/short vids with the problem)

About the G-Sensor:
obviously buggy. Had some emergency-breaking-situations, but no locked files; changed the G-Sensor to lowest setting, and still nothing...

I think that's just buggy... Hope the next few firmwares will do the trick...

I had such effects when the lense was pointing to high, set it "one click" down - and everything was ok; have you tried experimenting with the lense-adjustment?

(otherwhise I would recommend to upload some footage/short vids with the problem)
I thought that may be a potential solution and have adjusted the lens slightly lower but I have also updated the firmware. When I get a chance I will retest and if I still have an issue I will post some footage, I will also install my Mini 0803 camera for comparison.

I thought that may be a potential solution and have adjusted the lens slightly lower but I have also updated the firmware. When I get a chance I will retest and if I still have an issue I will post some footage, I will also install my Mini 0803 camera for comparison.
Moving the lens down slightly appears to have resolved my issue. Now I am able to cimpare this dashcam to my Mini 0803 I can say that the A118 daytime video is definately an improvement on the 0803. The 0803 is not as sharp and number plates are slightly blurry compared to the A118.

I also prefer the design of the A118 as it fits very nicely on the housing for the rain sensor thus eliminating the "splodge" of double sided tape on the windscreen. Tha camera body is also shielded from the sun.

Back