A118 Novatek 96650 Full HD 1080P Car Camera DVR

Yep :p , I realised it after posting the message, even the brands are there in his signature too.

I've already told jookin stop talking about Street Guardian in this thread, making all of us confused...

For people who are aware of your product, probably ;)

For people who are aware of your product, probably ;)

I'll expand on it then so there's no mistake

Can the camera set the date and time automatically using the GPS?

Firmware dependent, ours does, not sure if they have this function in the generic version or not

It's firmware dependant (means the hardware is capable), ours does (which is how I know it can do it) not sure if they have this function in the generic version or not (means it would need to be checked and may vary depending on which firmware version is used)

This is a feature we only added in the last few months, it wasn't there prior

" ours does" ?? Wch brand you are talking about? How will I differentiate the product from the generic ones?
That's a good point. I had no idea there were different version when I ordered mine. I got mine direct from Amazon prime, yet apparently it's just a generic version. Not that that bothers me! So far as I can see the only difference is the firmware. The Street Guardian has I believe an independent firmware, with some extra options set. I've updated the firmware three times so far with links from this site and no doubt there will be others to follow. It's easy to update and I've had no problems doing it.

I'm not happy with my A118 which I've not yet had for 3 months.

It has an overheating power fault. When it gets very warm after a few hours on the road it powers off, then after a pause on again, then after a pause off again. It hasn't been a problem on short journeys but after a few hours on a warm but overcast day it started intermittent but frequent power cycling. This caused gaps in the recording and makes some files are unreadable. Not the time to be having an incident.

In an earlier post (https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...-1080p-car-camera-dvr.5647/page-25#post-78406) I told of problems with files recorded on a long trip. I now realise the problem was overheating.

I'm confident it's not the card because I tried another card. The cam is running A118_20140821_FW.

Fortunately I had my Mobius Actioncam with me so swapped to this and used it for remainder of the trip with the same cards.

I've contacted FoxOffer requesting replacement, credit note or refund.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question

Is the street guardian firmware inter changeable with the foxoffer camera?

Cheers
Dave.

Last edited:
That's a good point. I had no idea there were different version when I ordered mine. I got mine direct from Amazon prime, yet apparently it's just a generic version. Not that that bothers me! So far as I can see the only difference is the firmware. The Street Guardian has I believe an independent firmware, with some extra options set. I've updated the firmware three times so far with links from this site and no doubt there will be others to follow. It's easy to update and I've had no problems doing it.

So you mean to say that foxoffer & street gaurdian has same hardwares, its just the firmwares which are different? So can we interchange the firmwares between these two product?
The price difference between these brands is considerable.

Just had an email notification but the post isn't here - to answer it anyway the GT680W is superior to the A118 at night and day time it's a toss up between the two with the A118 having the greater camera angle. The A118 is potentially the slightly sharper of the two in the day but there's really not much in it. At night the GT680W is much brighter - if you've got a tint I'd go with the A118 in the front and the GT680W in the rear - if it's clear glass GT680W up front and A118 in the back is a good combo.

Just heading out but I'll stick some more comparisons up later.

Here you go mate - a comparison of the GT680W and A118 in the rear of the car - this one has privacy glass.

It's swings and roundabouts - the A118 looks slightly sharper across the entire frame but the GT680W seems slightly sharper on the numberplates.

The latest firmware available is installed on both cameras.

1 - a118.jpg 1 - gt680.jpg 2 - a118.jpg 2 - gt680.jpg 3 - a118.jpg 3 - gt680.jpg 4 - a118.jpg 4 - gt680.jpg 5 - a118.jpg 5 - gt680.jpg

Does anyone in the UK want the GPS module - I have a spare -

£11 posted

PM if interested

Hi reverend, thanks for the comparison. Yes, i did post a question earlier for the comparison between GT680 vs A118 when you mentioned you have a GT680 too, not realizing you had already briefly done one in the later page of this thread. Frankly i loved the form-factor of A118, wanting to get it for the rear, but the video quality is a show-stopper. On the other hand, I'm so glad that my almost 1yr old GT680 is so superior (minus the form-factor)..cheers, Jeff

There are some hardware limitations to the current version, an updated version is in the works and is already showing improved results, still a bit of fine tuning to go though

txs, i reckon will hold the horse to purchase first till this improvement is done. By the way, is your mentioned improvement on hardware or software (firmware)? Is this improvement for foxoffer's A118?

...cheers, Jeff

Hey guys. First post on here. I just got my A118 from Foxoffer on the weekend and I think I got a dud. The focus on mine seems to be way off. Particularly on the right hand side everything is just a blurry mess and I can't make out license plates at all. I've uploaded a clip to Google drive if you wouldn't mind taking a look.

Does the angle of the windshield have anything to do with it? I'm driving a Honda Fit/Jazz. This is pretty disappointing quality compared to some of the other stuff I've seen even from this camera.

Here is the link to the file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3tfSgyF8JLuVWJfanhqemlXR3c/edit?usp=sharing

Hey guys. First post on here. I just got my A118 from Foxoffer on the weekend and I think I got a dud. The focus on mine seems to be way off. Particularly on the right hand side everything is just a blurry mess and I can't make out license plates at all. I've uploaded a clip to Google drive if you wouldn't mind taking a look.

Does the angle of the windshield have anything to do with it? I'm driving a Honda Fit/Jazz. This is pretty disappointing quality compared to some of the other stuff I've seen even from this camera.

Here is the link to the file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3tfSgyF8JLuVWJfanhqemlXR3c/edit?usp=sharing

WdTxci3.png

Maybe use http://mega.co.nz
instead?

Back