A129 3-wire kit

The bigger the size of the card, the less often a sector is written, so you score two big points at the same time - larger capacity and longer life. Some users reported the 256 Samsung Evo is working well. I have a 128 GB Samsung Evo which is working really well and plan to upgrade to 256.

I have the 32Gb Samsung Evo at mo, and works fine, but looking today at files, only just recorded a day of driving to work, and parking, and then overwriting, this is without rear cam, so presume need a lot more. 256Gb are a bit pricey atmosphere, on a quick look though.

Why are you going form a 128Gb to a 256Gb? not recording long enough for you now?

Wonder what Viofo recommend, on size and type?

How long will a 128Gb record with front and rear cams and time-lapse parking mode on?

I want to go to 256 GB because using one of the higher bitrate MODs fills up the card quicker. As per VIOFO's specifications, the camera supports 256 GB so why not go for larger cards? :)
With stock firmware v1.5 in high bitrate mode, you fill about 248 MB/minute for dual cameras. The low bitrate mode take about 62 MB/ minute also in dual-channel setup.
That would be about 8 hours in normal recording mode and about 34 hours of low bitrate parking mode for a 128 GB card, if my math is not wrong.

Last edited:
I want to go to 256 GB because using one of the higher bitrate MODs fills up the card quicker. As per VIOFO's specifications, the camera supports 256 GB so why not go for larger cards? :)
With stock firmware v1.5 in high bitrate mode, you fill about 248 MB/minute for dual cameras. The low bitrate mode take about 62 MB/ minute also in dual-channel setup.
Wow...personally I want hi bitrate but 250Mb/minute is a lot, 4 mins per Gb so only 30 odd minutes recording, is this on the time lapse 10/s setting?

I got, I think, about 6 hours on time-lapse today on 1 camera on time lapse

I recommend considering a 256Gb, price is still pretty reasonable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B072HRDM55
I'm on a 128Gb card and I get about 2-3 days of footage during the work week. For me and my recording time, each day I average 2-3 hrs of normal mode and 8-9 hrs of parking mode (setting on low bitrate), camera is off at home, car is in the garage.

I recommend considering a 256Gb, price is still pretty reasonable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B072HRDM55
I'm on a 128Gb card and I get about 2-3 days of footage during the work week. For me and my recording time, each day I average 2-3 hrs of normal mode and 8-9 hrs of parking mode (setting on low bitrate), camera is off at home, car is in the garage.

I want the best I can at all times ideally. Tbh a day probably is sufficient for normal working days as I suppose would come back and if damage etc then would stop recordings and keep.

On holiday parking mode is a different matter would have to set to lowest really.

So 256Gb prob best as you say, but at £50+ a little expensive, if I can work out exactly what the 128Gb for both cameras on time lapse (best?) parking would be could work out as when you said above 4 mins for 250Mb didn't seem to work out for what I got to today, ableit on a single camera though.

Thanks

I want the best I can at all times ideally. Tbh a day probably is sufficient for normal working days as I suppose would come back and if damage etc then would stop recordings and keep.
Continuous high bitrate normal recording is probably more than you need when parked, using up loads of card space. The camera will also run hotter when doing this.

Time lapse and low bitrate parking modes are useful for continuous recording without consuming too many GB. I prefer low bitrate since it also records audio. I'd recommend a minimum 128GB for dual channel with parking recording.

On holiday parking mode is a different matter would have to set to lowest really.

So 256Gb prob best as you say, but at £50+ a little expensive, if I can work out exactly what the 128Gb for both cameras on time lapse (best?) parking would be could work out as when you said above 4 mins for 250Mb didn't seem to work out for what I got to today, ableit on a single camera though.

Thanks
My initial findings on size vs setting, take a look at my post on this thread: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...dashcam-video-recording-simultaneously.37229/

Found this 256Gb at reasonable price of £35? Would this be ok?
Integral 256 GB Premium High Speed Micro SD. Says exclusive to Prime only so can't seem to link but here's pic
53b967105775c65cfd99e6bab8b14435.jpg

Or this for £28, lifetime warranty? Are the above fast enough?
https://www.mymemory.co.uk/mymemory-256gb-v30-pro-micro-sd-sdxc-a1-uhs-1-u3-adapter-100mb-s.html

The Samsung evo 256Gb is £55 that's all.

Also on seperate issue, my rear cam I stayed running cable and haven't got much left now with routing took. Rather than take all out again and maybe go through roof lining, it's through bottom of doors so plastic etc to remove again, although it's already a long cable could I needed use an extension? I think it's a mini usb to mini usb like below? Or does it have to be specific spec and not longer than it already is?
2cd2ac34ca26e4489c0f60c10a387a0d.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:
Could be good or bad... Never heard of that brand. Unless someone tries it, nobody can tell you "Hey, get it, it's ok!"
Anyway, in case of failure you should be covered by Amazon for a return/replacement.

Found this 256Gb at reasonable price of £35? Would this be ok?
Integral 256 GB Premium High Speed Micro SD. Says exclusive to Prime only so can't seem to link but here's pic
53b967105775c65cfd99e6bab8b14435.jpg

Or this for £28, lifetime warranty? Are the above fast enough?
https://www.mymemory.co.uk/mymemory-256gb-v30-pro-micro-sd-sdxc-a1-uhs-1-u3-adapter-100mb-s.html

The Samsung evo 256Gb is £55 that's all.

Also on seperate issue, my rear cam I stayed running cable and haven't got much left now with routing took. Rather than take all out again and maybe go through roof lining, it's through bottom of doors so plastic etc to remove again, although it's already a long cable could I needed use an extension? I think it's a mini usb to mini usb like below? Or does it have to be specific spec and not longer than it already is?
2cd2ac34ca26e4489c0f60c10a387a0d.jpg

Thanks

What vehicle is your camera in, a lwb transit lol. There should be more than enough cable to run it along the floor, out of interest why did you choose to run it that way? I always try to avoid using extensions wherever possible so my advice would be to start from scratch and reroute over the headliner, makes no sense to have a decent camera and then cut corners on the install, just my opinion though.

I have personally never used an 'Integral' memory card as I've not heard a great deal of positive reviews on them, equally I've not heard a lot of bad ones either. I can only speak from my own experience and I can safely say the Samsung Evo is a great card with the right specs and proven reliability, on the other end I would stay clear of SanDisc as they have let me down in the past in mobile phones and previous dash cams. A lifetime guarantee is all well and good but its not going to bring back the lost footage that you need for the insurance company to prove you were not at fault in accident. If I get 3 years from my Samsung card then I will be happy, with the constant usage and rewriting they are never going to last forever, make sure you format the card regularly to prolong its life.

Could be good or bad... Never heard of that brand. Unless someone tries it, nobody can tell you "Hey, get it, it's ok!"
Anyway, in case of failure you should be covered by Amazon for a return/replacement.
Yeh prefer Amazon for customer services etc, I've heard of integral before and think they are a make that's been around a while, as you say if no one used then who knows...

What vehicle is your camera in, a lwb transit lol.
Ha ha no, it's just probably my run, was down A post, then along bottom of sills, then pushed it under back seats and then I thought...oh...how do I get it up top for the camera!?! I presume the rear cam should be on top middle beside brake light?

I always try to avoid using extensions wherever possible so my advice would be to start from scratch and reroute over the headliner, makes no sense to have a decent camera and then cut corners on the install, just my opinion though.
I thought I was doing good and then read and people said headliner....shoupd have read up first....

I have personally never used an 'Integral' memory card as I've not heard a great deal of positive reviews on them, equally I've not heard a lot of bad ones either. I can only speak from my own experience and I can safely say the Samsung Evo is a great card with the right specs and proven reliability, on the other end I would stay clear of SanDisc as they have let me down in the past in mobile phones and previous dash cams. A lifetime guarantee is all well and good but its not going to bring back the lost footage that you need for the insurance company to prove you were not at fault in accident. If I get 3 years from my Samsung card then I will be happy, with the constant usage and rewriting they are never going to last forever, make sure you format the card regularly to prolong its life.
True they will be reading/writing a lot now. I just thought for £35 seemed decent deal and at least a make whereas other is a no brand. The integral has a 3 year warranty, so suppose if you think roughly should last that long should be ok...I hope!

Another question...how do you switch off the camera to remove the SD card? As now it's always on with the hardwire parking mode, do you have to pull out the USB power cable?

Thanks

Glad to see you up and running, will be curious to see if you run across any 'behavior issues'...

So, it seems I am experiencing the same 'problems' as others have had.

works perfectly when in 'normal' mode, if the voltage cut off kicks in then the cam will restart when the ignition is cycled again regardless of how long the car has been parked up. if the camera is on ACC only then it does not turn back on when then ignition is cycled, you need to press the power button on the camera. Although it does depend a little on how long the car has been left for, I left it for a couple of hours today and when I came back the camera restarted as expected.

Has anyone come up with a fix to this issue, is there any reason it would behave like this? it's like the camera does not recognise the ACC trigger.

Yeh prefer Amazon for customer services etc, I've heard of integral before and think they are a make that's been around a while, as you say if no one used then who knows...

Ha ha no, it's just probably my run, was down A post, then along bottom of sills, then pushed it under back seats and then I thought...oh...how do I get it up top for the camera!?! I presume the rear cam should be on top middle beside brake light?

I thought I was doing good and then read and people said headliner....shoupd have read up first....

True they will be reading/writing a lot now. I just thought for £35 seemed decent deal and at least a make whereas other is a no brand. The integral has a 3 year warranty, so suppose if you think roughly should last that long should be ok...I hope!

Another question...how do you switch off the camera to remove the SD card? As now it's always on with the hardwire parking mode, do you have to pull out the USB power cable?

Thanks[/Q

To turn off the camera just press and hold the power button - the first button on the left.

The front to rear cable is 10 pin, not 5 pin. Contact Viofo if you need a longer cable. I've taken the route you describe in my Mazda 6 Estate and still have a bit spare.

The front to rear cable is 10 pin, not 5 pin. Contact Viofo if you need a longer cable. I've taken the route you describe in my Mazda 6 Estate and still have a bit spare.
After you come up behind back seat which way did you go please? I presume you fitted the rear cam on top of the inside of the boot lid?

Thanks

After you come up behind back seat which way did you go please? I presume you fitted the rear cam on top of the inside of the boot lid?

Thanks
Around the base of the boot liner, then straight up to inside edge of hatch. Loose loop avoids clash with retracting parcel shelf. Finally runs along plastic trim inside hatch to camera which is located top centre in the trim next to the glass.

so I have 0906 power kit ! it work or not!

Probably not. With any Viofo A119, A119S, or A129 camera you must use ONLY the Viofo supplied or recommended PS or HWK to get reliable functioning. These supply 1.5A where almost all others supply only 1A, and they use heavier gauge wires also. Though the cam has been tested and seems to draw less than 1A in use, numerous problems have been reported when using less than a 1.5A power input with these cams, and all were solved by simply using what Viofo supplies and recommends.

I know of no other cam with this issue, but with the very good video these give I do not feel it's smart to try and save a few dollars on the PS or card. Use the good stuff only- it is worth the price to get this kind of performance.

Phil

Back