A129 Pro firmware

Keep the one you have for now.

The beta mentioned above is the only sensible upgrade, but that is still a beta. It will become an official release soon, after sorting a few issues, but there is no confirmed date yet.

Thanks Nigel... If I could just ask you for another piece of advice... I have a Yi dash cam as my spare rear dash cam and have looked at the footage today and the noise is just terrible with lots of "blocking"..

Am wondering do you have any recommendations for a 4K dash cam or a 4k action cam to act as a rear stand alone dashcam? I'm spoiled by the A129 pro Duo front cam 4K resolution, and now the "normal 1080P" resolutions in the normal 1080p dashcams just can't make it anymore.... thanks again for your help....

Am wondering do you have any recommendations for a 4K dash cam or a 4k action cam to act as a rear stand alone dashcam? I'm spoiled by the A129 pro Duo front cam 4K resolution, and now the "normal 1080P" resolutions in the normal 1080p dashcams just can't make it anymore.... thanks again for your help....
There still are not many choices for real 4K dashcams, and for image quality, still only the Thinkware U1000 gets close to the A129 Pro, but you wouldn't use that as a rear camera! Action cameras are generally not suitable for use as dashcams, with the possible exception of the Gitup F1.

The Viofo A119 V3 is an excellent choice if you don't mind the size, it is not 4K, but it is twice the detail of a 1080 camera and has a decent bitrate so that you don't get that blocking. Does a bit better than the A129 Pro in the dark, which given that you don't have headlights on the back of your car, can be an advantage. It is also going to support HDR in the near future, which may be very useful for reading plates in the dark when they would otherwise be overexposed.

If the size is an issue then the Gitup F1 supercapacitor version is 4K and has a lens suitable for dashcam use, it is really an action camera though so the auto exposure is not as good for dashcam use as a Viofo dashcam.

There is always the option of another A129 Pro if size and money are not an issue, but I think for the rear I would go for the A119 V3 unless you are going to use it for movie making and want the better image quality of the Pro.

There still are not many choices for real 4K dashcams, and for image quality, still only the Thinkware U1000 gets close to the A129 Pro, but you wouldn't use that as a rear camera! Action cameras are generally not suitable for use as dashcams, with the possible exception of the Gitup F1.

The Viofo A119 V3 is an excellent choice if you don't mind the size, it is not 4K, but it is twice the detail of a 1080 camera and has a decent bitrate so that you don't get that blocking. Does a bit better than the A129 Pro in the dark, which given that you don't have headlights on the back of your car, can be an advantage. It is also going to support HDR in the near future, which may be very useful for reading plates in the dark when they would otherwise be overexposed.

If the size is an issue then the Gitup F1 supercapacitor version is 4K and has a lens suitable for dashcam use, it is really an action camera though so the auto exposure is not as good for dashcam use as a Viofo dashcam.

There is always the option of another A129 Pro if size and money are not an issue, but I think for the rear I would go for the A119 V3 unless you are going to use it for movie making and want the better image quality of the Pro.

Thanks very much for the quick reply.. appreciate your recommending the Viofo A119 V3.. yes, i have also thought of this too.. however I am inching towards dual use and a budget below USD 80, so the action cam way was what I had in mind.. if i do not find a suitable action cam, then perhaps your recommendation would be the best... Thanks again! Appreciate your good replies....

Please pardon my poor eyesight, but when i looked at these 2 pics, the items on the left and right are the same ( no additional details) but the top and bottom seems to be cropped out.. so what advantage does this 21:9 size have over the normal screenshot?
Less sky and dash in the video.

Thanks for your reply.. seems this new firmware mod didn't intro more capabilities into this 4k dash cam..
It means that you get longer record time for the same quality, or more quality for the same record time. Definitely an improvement, assuming that you don't need to see the very top and bottom of the image!

Got to have that sky view to catch the next big meteor to hit Russia.

It means that you get longer record time for the same quality, or more quality for the same record time. Definitely an improvement, assuming that you don't need to see the very top and bottom of the image!
I am not seeing any reduction in file size using the cropped 4k option, about 310MB files on high quality for one min of video using cropped or full size 4k. This is using 1.7T firmware.

And DashcamViewer software won't show the rear camera view with this firmware, though I expect that will be fixed sometime after an official release of updated firmware.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

I am not seeing any reduction in file size using the cropped 4k option, about 310MB files on high quality for one min of video using cropped or full size 4k. This is using 1.7T firmware.
then that's as @Nigel mentioned, in this case you would be getting higher quality in the same space

Yes, you should be able to turn the bitrate down one step and still have the original quality.

At the higher qualities, even with the original firmware, you need to be going a reasonable speed under trees, or something else with a lot of detail, to see the difference. For many people medium quality is fine, others buy the camera to get ultimate image quality, your choice.

Yes, you should be able to turn the bitrate down one step and still have the original quality.

At the higher qualities, even with the original firmware, you need to be going a reasonable speed under trees, or something else with a lot of detail, to see the difference. For many people medium quality is fine, others buy the camera to get ultimate image quality, your choice.
Thanks Nigel, I was going to ask how to get the same quality and smaller file sizes, I'll give that a try at the next bitrate down. Nice to have the option either way.

Viofo A129 Pro duo fw 1.7T

Thanks Nigel. From my poor eyesight looking at these 2 photos, i can't discern any improvement in picture quality. maybe it's me.. anyway to see picture improvement when we go for 21:9? Higher bitrate?

Thanks Nigel. From my poor eyesight looking at these 2 photos, i can't discern any improvement in picture quality. maybe it's me.. anyway to see picture improvement when we go for 21:9? Higher bitrate?
it's a static scene, you could halve the bitrate and not be able to tell the difference in that situation

Yes you need moment and much detail to need bitrate, in a static scene like that bitrate matter very little.

I always do ( choose 4K, even if my screen are just 1080 )
I think i will have to do something about that screen, though i dont like to as it is just 2 years old, but camera progress sort of force me to, not least since i dont have a 4K TV to play things as a solution.
4K should be played at 4K

I always do ( choose 4K, even if my screen are just 1080 )
I think i will have to do something about that screen, though i dont like to as it is just 2 years old, but camera progress sort of force me to, not least since i dont have a 4K TV to play things as a solution.
4K should be played at 4K
A 50" 4K TV makes a great computer monitor.:)

Back