A129 Pro firmware

The build is 20200710 and to my suprise the code is different to the beta v2.0 (could be caused by new compilation with different build number..?)

Haven't flashed yet.

V2.0 firmware change log:

1. Added 4K 21:9, 2K 30FPS + 1080P 30fps, 1080P 30fps + 1080P 30fps video resolution
  2. Added Parking Recording Timer option
  3. Added Enter Parking Mode Timer option
  4. Optimize looping recording in parking mode for slow card
  5. Fixed time-lapse recording issue while the memory card full.
  6. Menu language translation update

Okay, I just updated my firmware from VIOFO site. Version is 2.0.8. Also, keep in mind, the password get reset to default, 12345678.
Some setting changed from my setup, I be changing that to my setting, bit by bit....
G-sensor is set to low. I had to turn it off due to overly sensitive. Will see if this issue is fixed.
Default parking mode is 30 mins. I thinking, it will stop recording after 30 mins, which is no good for me.
If I remember, it support 24 hours. Will check next time and change asap.
4K + Full HD 30fps is default. I leave it there for a period to see how that works.
Another thing, I need to check to see if my optional format got reset to default. Prefer File type H.265 as it works with quicktime and photo, etc

Here is info on H.264/H.265. Hopefully that option hasn't been removed with this update.

Last edited:
Initial impression. I don't like it at all. Before I go into details, I will try one more thing. If it still fails, I be going back to V1.3.
Be sure you have a copy of your current firmware before updating.

Initial impression. I don't like it at all. Before I go into details, I will try one more thing. If it still fails, I be going back to V1.3.

I was quite literally just about to install that latest production release.

...will now await your feedback before doing so!

This is what I find on V2.0
  • After flash, it kept asking to format the sdcard (originally exFAT with 32MB blank space in front of the partition), refusing the start recording. Formatting the scard in the dashcam will result in 32MB blank space (this may be the leftover from the original layout as the dashcam may just reformat the existing partition) in front of the partition and FAT32 is used.
  • Removing the sdcard from the dashcam no longer shut it down anymore. V1.3 and V1.7T will shut down if you remove the sdcard.
  • Press and hold the "menu" button shuts down the dashcam and immediately boots up again. So, there is no way to shut it down without plugging out the power.
    • If I'm not mistaken V1.3 and V1.7T shutdown the dashcam. Only when you press the button again will it boot up.
  • The dashcam still shut down on its own in parking mode (low bitrate) during day time.
  • In parking mode, it still randomly put recording in RO folder although nothing seems to touch the car (from video recording, no noise or movement seen).
  • Within this 1 day test, so far no beeping alert. I also don't see any corrupted files. This include when I press the emergency button.
    • In V1.7T, whenever I use FAT32, I randomly get beeping alert. Only by using exFAT does it go away. File may still be corrupted, such as when I press the emergency button to move file to RO, corrupted file may be found in the RO folder after that. When that happen, there will be 3 files (front, rear and 1 corrupt). I have no idea what the corrupted file may have contained. Luckily so far, the scene that I want is in the good files.
So, anyone manage to use exFAT formatted file system with V2.0?

Okay, here is some updates....

First of All, the VIOFO app (in my case for iPhone 11 PRO MAX) need updating. The options, settings, don't match with the VIOFO screen settings. In fact some of it won't even change it. Also, there are features listed in the VIOFO screen that doesn't exist in the app.
In my case, reset to factory after updating. Use VIOFO screen to make your changes. I use H265 before, no issue, so did the same with this update by default is H264.

This might explain some of the weird things going on. Now that I done it, I will test to see if there is other concerns. In meantime, get a copy of your original firmware before updating, just in case.

It a failure on VIOFO to update firmware, but not update their app first. Bad, bad, bad viofo. You guys need to wake up, think out of the box, think ahead. My first disappointment with VIOFO. At least tell the user not to use the app....

Concern that I need to test.
Downloading a movie to your phone, was very slow (I assuming it didn't use WIFI G5 at this time). Too slow, not worth the effort, totally useless during emergency.
Recording and viewing on your device (like iPhone), the stream was jerky, jumping frames. (I assuming it didn't use wifi g5). Totally lousy, in comparison to V1.3, it was perfect).

It reminds me of NextBase, that I dump because of that. Hopefully, I don't have to go to setting each time to change to wifi g5, it seems to reset to factory default. Need to test that later.

Didn't play with format, other then was was defaulted by VIOFO format options. Unless you want to use larger SD cards, don't see the need, nor any indication it causing an issue for me.

They added park mode timer, by default 30 mins, which is useless for me. I set to 24 hours. There is an entry timer park mode option, by default off, which is okay with me, I like to hear the beeps when I exit or enter the truck. Tell me it working, especially in the morning, after parking all night.

Last edited:
Are you sure the new production firmware is for your VIOFO 2020 A129 PRO Dual Channel Ultra 4K Dash Camera with GPS? Maybe other model. Sorry, i had to do say that...:ROFLMAO:

Downloading a movie to your phone, was very slow (I assuming it didn't use wifi G5 at this time). Too slow, not worth the effort.
Recording and viewing on your device (like iPhone), the stream was jerky. (I assuming it didn't use wifi g5). Total lousy, in comparison to V1.3)
Well you are the one to decide which Wifi frequency should be used before enabling it. (i think 2.4GHz is default)

For me, the default parking timer is 24h. After flash and also after setting it to default setting.

On wifi, by default, it is always 2.4ghz (after flash or after setting to default setting). You need to go to the menu and set the wifi to 5ghz at least once. Only then will you get 5ghz when enable using the button. You'll know that it's 5ghz by looking at the ssid name. It'll start with "5G-VIOFO-..." instead of "VIOFO-..."

On the app, see the attachment image (or direct to source at https://www.viofo.com/img/1_06_5db10dc68d332.jpg) from Viofo A129 Pro product page. It's an outright false advertisement.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
View attachment 52654

Last edited:
  • VIOFO A129 Pro Duo Dash Camera Firmware. that the only one they have listed.
  • When I did a firmware update, I used the app to check my setting, it didn't change except for a few items. This may be cause of the issues, I suspect
  • The option to set WIFI in the VIOFO app doesn't exist, however it exist in the VIOFO camera menu, where I set to 5 ghz, it was off by default, as it wasn't turn on at the time, I recently confirm, it taking the setting, which is good news.

• Initially the default was 30 mins, when I set with the app, I changed it to 24 hours. I abandon the app, once I seen it needed updating. So, I did a reset, reentering my values, but of interest, the parking mode default was 12 hours. Which I set to 24 hours before and now. It maybe the app setting set and my factory reset has a ill effect. So I watch for awhile and retest where it failed before.

• The biggest issue I am seeing, has to do the the VIOFO app for the iphone. Bypass it, for now, until VIOFO correct that issue. A big oversight.
  • Example with the VIOFO app, it gave 30 min as default. In the VIOFO camera menu, it doesn't exist, gives only 12 or 24 hours. The app is the issue. Hopefully the only issue.

• After setting it up, at the office, I install it back in the truck, some setting changed, for example screen saver was set for 1 min, but reverted to 3 mins. when I review the setting again in the VIOFO menu. As if the battery is backing up some of the settings. Will watch for that... I took pictures of all the setting, so that I can confirm of changes.

• Will redo our testing....

• .VIOFO A129 Pro Dual.jpg

Last edited:
  • Example with the VIOFO app, it gave 30 min as default. In the VIOFO camera menu, it doesn't exist, gives only 12 or 24 hours. The app is the issue. Hopefully the only issue.
There are other values in the camera menu you just need to click UP arrow. (it's kinda dumb to "hide" it like this, i got confused as well :D )

Yup, I notice that in a few cases. The interface is clunky, kinda of expecting it to be intuitive as with what I am use too on the iPhone. Might be okay with those who are use to a different interface.

The Zenfoz T3 i am testing, it seem like some changes ( away from default ) are not liked much, then again others are, for instance i have had a hard time making the camera just record while driving, where it just stop after it have recorded 4-5 files, and then after that stop every time it get to a new file.
BUT having that error with 3 and 1 minute files i figured why not try 10 minute, at least that way if it still record 4-5 files before it fail i will get to drive longer.
And sure enough it work ( if i use maximum bitrate, on low it do not work ) so for now i am recording 10 minute files on that camera, and it have not failed once with that setting.

The T3 i think are on the same chipset as the A 129 duo PRO

So on the T3 i am using default settings aside for 10 minute file size ( not what i like to use but it work for now ) extreme bitrate ( low do not work without stops, but i want to use high / extreme on any camera anyway ) and then +2 hour time zone and 5 min LCD time out.

If people are having problems with the A129 duo PRO i encourage them to experiment with other settings ( even if ones they might not want to use ) just to see if that give you any changes, but to keep things simple try and make changes to just 1 setting at the time.

It is after all better in my case to have a camera that do record all 3 cameras all the time when driving but in 10 minute files VS recording 3 minute files but then having the camera stop every file after it have recorded the first 4-5 PCS

And before you get all fired up, yes you should be able to use what ever setting is there and you like to use, but in my case clearly the T3 are not there yet, but it is better to have something than nothing.

So far, no issues with Viofo 2.0. All working, no beeps. I be doing a long trip soon, so will see if things act up. V1.3 work great for me. Hoping, it will be the same with 2.0.

So far, no issues with Viofo 2.0. All working, no beeps. I be doing a long trip soon, so will see if things act up. V1.3 work great for me. Hoping, it will be the same with 2.0.

I will say no-beep is not a true sign that the recording goes right without issue. As what I tested, they removed the double-beep warning as seen in 1.3 from 1.7T firmware. But actually there are still video dropping for 5-6 second occur without the double-beep. You could easy to figure out the dropped video by the file size if you put the SD card into pc and check.

I have never had an issue with (all beeps set on) beeps (verified often by checking files), other have issues with beeps, so I mention there is none with 2.0 on my setup. Ever time, I check the files, all look good before and so far with 2.0, but still verifying over time. Checking for quality (I use max bitrate, 60fps, exposure, able to read plates etc. No frame jumps, smooth viewing on my computer. (H265 I use, plays nice with all apps on a mac)

The biggest negative experience, is an outdated VIOFO app for iPhone. Someone forgot at VIOFO to do their homework?? Boy, did they drop the bucket on this...

I'm going to update mine these days and look forward to test on weekend and report

The biggest negative experience, is an outdated VIOFO app for iPhone. Someone forgot at VIOFO to do their homework?? Boy, did they drop the bucket on this...
They updated the app a month ago. How much recent an update must be to be considered as up-to-date?

The only issue i see with the app is it shows year 2088 (despite the right time is set) and sometimes liveview freezes. (and i kinda hate the fact i need to stop recording everytime i want to change in settings - i understand that only in case of video settings)

It doesn't matter when it was updated. It should have been updated to be compatible with V.2.0. It no longer compatible with V2.0.

If you read previous post, you will see the issues. Try making setting changes with 2.0, expect weird results. I always use the app to make changes, download specific files, etc. Now I wouldn't dare make setting changes. Found out the hard way.

The short answer, when they do a firmware update with new features or options, one should be able to see the same with the app. Requiring an update at or before firmware released. That is the expectation...

Back