I just rolled back to v1.6.... same sh*t, different day. But why are there two frames overlapping all the time?

Attachments

• 2022_1004_149707_F.jpg
    2022_1004_149707_F.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 34
  • fameoverlap.jpg
    fameoverlap.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 34
I just rolled back to v1.6.... same sh*t, different day.
Well, since it's blurry even after reverting back to an older firmware, it's most likely HW issue so you should RMA the unit.

But why are there two frames overlapping all the time?
I'm not sure now when exactly HDR got implemented for A139 but that could be the cause of the double image (it takes two images with different exposure), that's why HDR timer is present since one of the latest v1.7, to address the concerns and to let one decide when HDR is needed.

Anyway, in my case no wonder my dashcam got blurry :ROFLMAO: :
20221007_111239.jpg20221007_111233.jpg
CPL filter front (left) vs rear (right):
20221007_113400.jpg

To my surprise my local seller just swapped the "bad" unit for a new one right away, no additional questions asked.

This is how HDR works in low light.
I always disabled HDR/WDR under v1.6 and right now its also disabled. I reset the camera twice (by app and by reset-button), reconfigured it and tested it out of the car.

HDR was set to "ON". Starting-time for HDRwas set to 15:53:30. Test was done without CPL.

Im thinking about opening a RMA-ticket. This just sucks. The unit is 11 month old! :(

Link without 24h-limit: https://streamable.com/j4yfip

//EDIT: Little update... i contacted Viofo and they replaced the camera-body. The new camera arrived after 14 days and just look at that... i have to turn down the exposure again, but the image is finally sharp again :) Just compare the stonewall on the left or the fence between the red/green building on the right.

2022_1026_143833_F.jpg 2022_0930_093141_F .JPG

So... it was not the 1.7 firmware-update ;)

Thanks to Sylvia from Viofo! (y)

Last edited:
V1.7_20220722
I don't like it, I will modify it!!

We need to fix those towns soon, make them fresh and kick ass towns. (y)

I wish the source code was public so we could improve the software ourselves.

Open source dash cam firmware could be very cool. There are a number of products on the market where alternative firmwares designed and created by knowledgeable enthusiasts that are superior to most any commercial versions have been incorporated into mainstream products beyond their original introductions. For example, folks who are interested in flashlights and the BudgetLightForum might be familiar with Texas Avenger, Narsil and Anduril implementations.

Read here
Novatek Firmware

V1.7_20220722
I don't like it, I will modify it!!

I had firmware 1.7 in the spring of 2022. Viofo notoriously turned itself off. Once someone dented the door in my factory new car at the hipermarket's parking but nothing was recorded.
When I reverted to v1.6 everything was back to normal that is now it always record.

I had firmware 1.7 in the spring of 2022. Viofo notoriously turned itself off. Once someone dented the door in my factory new car at the hipermarket's parking but nothing was recorded.
When I reverted to v1.6 everything was back to normal that is now it always record.
This type of thing makes me stick with firmware if it is working ok.

Stick with low bitrate mode with G-sensor at the maximum level and you won't have such an issue.
People need to stop relying on things like radar, buffer protection, time lapse, etc...and just stick to low bitrate mode with maximum G-sensor if they want something to be recorded 100% of the time.
That is the only parking mode setting that I personally use for my dashcam.

The only reason for it to turn itself off is low voltage cutoff.

Has anyone tried this new version yet?
Yes, I did. At spring '22. Be careful because my Viofo very often turned off or restarted by this version of firmware. Once on the parking place my fresh car was hit and Viofo did'nt registered this event :)

Yes, I did. At spring '22. Be careful because my Viofo very often turned off or restarted by this version of firmware. Once on the parking place my fresh car was hit and Viofo did'nt registered this event :)
This isn’t the same version 1.7 you reported running in May, this was released in December

This isn’t the same version 1.7 you reported running in May, this was released in December
I supposed such a possibility. That's why I wrote "be careful" and not "don't use".

Back