[App] AFT 1.3.2 - Ambarella firmware editor (development paused)

False alarm!
The internal battery of the 0803 ran down. After that I plugged a USB cable into it and it rebooted just fine with my new modifications and boot logo.

Phew. Had me scared there ....

@Falsificator led me to the idea to add a new feature to A7Tool: A "settings-editor". It might be capable of editing the default values of all menu items.
But maybe I'll just add a "mapping"-generator which combinews text offset and value and prints them to a text-file.

Proof of concept:
upload_2014-8-4_16-26-0.png

I also added a new column to the strings editor which shows the offset address of the strings:
upload_2014-8-4_16-22-39.png

Last edited:
Am I crazy for wanting to edit my startup sound to the machine-gun turrets from the game "Portal" saying "Hello....friend."

No you're not. I like that idea :D

v0.7.5 is out.
- Added a new row to Strings editor which helps with changing predefine setting values
- Fixed a Bug in the RFS Compiler (removed static objects which stored rfs data multiple times after multiple executions
- Some other changes for the not yet released MenuEditor
- You are now able to delete files from RFS section. If you delete them they'll be recreated without content at compile time and therefore "pseudo"-removed from the filesystem.
DL as always in OP

Last edited:
Menu Editor - that sounds intriguing :)

Hello Tobias i was wondering if you could help me. I've tried extracting firmware for the A50H made by iro-electronics, i get a 23.3mb file :
When i try to export section i get an error message:
An error occured:
java.lang.NegativeArraySizeException
Export Sections
A7 FWDecompiler thread finished!

I still get four files in the section BLD.a7h BLD.a7s BST.a7h and BST.a7s no rfs files i was wondering if you help with this

Here is the Firmware file i extracted https://mega.co.nz/#!qpxlzR7I!RGouIunhChaifgm5jMyvvBNHFd5-pvEKLj2FvQpnu40

A5 (which is A7 without HAL) support is not implemented, yet. However I'm going to add new features in the next days (@z768 discovered fonts.bin structure as well as bitmaps.bin structure since the last time I worked on A7Tool). I'll also add A5 support with this update. May take a few days.

It could be an A7 SoC as well. But that would mean that the HAL partition is only present on some (most) A7 devices which doesn't seem very logical...
If you'd disassemble the device you could see which chipset they used.

I have some questions about translating.
Is true that max number of characters for one row are 22?
The exported .dat file can be edited in Notepad++ for example?
Why not exported as .txt instead of .dat?
Export column not working?
Save the translation work? Now is possible only build.
If ai will translate some strings and then is a firmware update which add new strings in the middle of old strings, how to update? And how to use that translation for other Ambarella camera which have many common strings?

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
There is no max row length.
The "export" menu item exports the language for another part of the application which I didnt publish yet (menu editor). I just decided to not call the file,.txt since you better should not touch the file.
However if you save the changes you made youll get another dat file which contains all strings (languages separated by pipe Symbol). You can edit this file (but be careful to not mess with line breaks and pipe symbols) and reloades it in the strings editor.

If a firmware update contains new strings they are added to the end of the file - at least most of the time. However if you use a firmware from a different distributor it may have a completely different order. Now way of keeping the translations you already made, yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mtz
I only realized 20% bitmaps.bin.
The Chinese comrades to help me, I hope ... :)
Today I discovered a few bytes.
Good luck to all.
z768.

Will be nice if somebody can discover how to unlock some hidden menus, because in strings.bin are a lot of options.

enjoy,
Mtz

In strings.bin 16 language sections.
Why unlock them all?

I was trying to say...
Example:
In strings.bin we have option for EIS On, Eis Off. But we dont have EIS On, Eis Off in camera menu. But for this EIS example I think even Ambarella didnt implemeted it.
And so other options to make them available and working.

enjoy,
Mtz

I do not speak perfect English, sorry ...
You have problems with specific language menu ...

Good day Tobi @ S and respected forumchane.Poznakomilsya with your program A7TOOL.
I am not familiar with programming but everything is accessible and understandable to the menu editor and installation
bitreyta.Za that huge spasibo.Umenya receptionist street storm cvr-a7810g on A7D70 AND
MATRIX OV4689 4MP.U me to you in your vopros.Mozhno A7Tool adjust the exposure of two
separate files video combined in HDR mode and also adjust limits AE
all permissions?
I apologize for Google translation.

Last edited:
Back