BlackboxMyCar PowerCell 8 Test & Review PP

I think I'll try a cheaper option with more storage capacity. BLUETTI EB3A Portable Power Station | 600W 268Wh
Right on Tatuatu,
Thanks for stopping in.
Let us know how it works out.
-Chuck

I think I'll try a cheaper option with more storage capacity. BLUETTI EB3A Portable Power Station | 600W 268Wh
Make sure that device suports pass through charging. It is not stated anywere.
If not, it's useless for dashcams purpose.

Make sure that device suports pass through charging. It is not stated anywere.
If not, it's useless for dashcams purpose.
Car Input:
12/24V from Cigarette Lighter Port (8.5A Max.)
Pass-through Charging:
Yes

another cheaper option is the CTECHi GT200 Portable Power Station 200W, 240Wh, it even says on their website that it supports Pass through charging technology,I'm going to get a solar panel with a separate mppt and combine them and summer will do the job.
I shared my ideas with you, if you think they are good, implement them.
The only drawback would be the size, but the CTECHi GT200 is flatter and doesn't clutter up the trunk so much.

Hey guys this is an update about Low Temperature Cut Off / Protection.
I’m testing the all new just released BlackVue B-130X with identical 96Wh capacity as the PC8. I’ve found the low temp charge protection strategy to be more advanced / sophisticated than the PC8.

The B-130X specifications claim to have “Low Temperature Cut Off” below 32℉ (0℃), see attached screenshot. I wanted to test this, so after the battery was drained to 1% I measured the temperature of the B-130X at 71℉ (21℃). I placed the B-130X in two ziploc freezer bags, and put it in my freezer for 2.5 hours. This brought the B-130X’s temp down to 8℉ (-13℃).

I connected the B-130X to my variable power supply and set it to 14.6 Volts @ 10 Amps. I turned on the B-130X, and engage the charge procedure. The indicated amperage on my variable power supply was fixed at 12mAh, or 0.012 Amps. I checked the BlackVue App, and it indicated “Low Temperature Warning The battery’s temperature is too low, which may limit its lasting time and charging speed”. It also indicated the battery’s temperature at 6℉ (-14℃).

I can confirm the B-130X has low temp charge cut off / protection. It also appears the protection strategy is just a little bit more advanced / sophisticated than the BBMC PowerCell 8. I performed this same test, and you can see the slightly different results here;

Why is this important?
LiFePo4 batteries must never be charged in freezing temperatures because it will cause irreparable damage. Here is an article about it;

Here are videos of the tests being performed;

Attachments

• 2.5 Hours in Freezer 8℉ (-13℃) .jpg
    2.5 Hours in Freezer 8℉ (-13℃) .jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Room Temp 71℉ (21℃) .jpg
    Room Temp 71℉ (21℃) .jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Low Temp Warning .png
    Low Temp Warning .png
    403.1 KB · Views: 5
  • LiFePo4 Low Temp Charging .png
    LiFePo4 Low Temp Charging .png
    96.5 KB · Views: 5
  • B-130X Specs .png
    B-130X Specs .png
    83 KB · Views: 4
Hey guys this is an update about Low Temperature Cut Off / Protection.
I’m testing the all new just released BlackVue B-130X with identical 96Wh capacity as the PC8. I’ve found the low temp charge protection strategy to be more advanced / sophisticated than the PC8.

The B-130X specifications claim to have “Low Temperature Cut Off” below 32℉ (0℃), see attached screenshot. I wanted to test this, so after the battery was drained to 1% I measured the temperature of the B-130X at 71℉ (21℃). I placed the B-130X in two ziploc freezer bags, and put it in my freezer for 2.5 hours. This brought the B-130X’s temp down to 8℉ (-13℃).

I connected the B-130X to my variable power supply and set it to 14.6 Volts @ 10 Amps. I turned on the B-130X, and engage the charge procedure. The indicated amperage on my variable power supply was fixed at 12mAh, or 0.012 Amps. I checked the BlackVue App, and it indicated “Low Temperature Warning The battery’s temperature is too low, which may limit its lasting time and charging speed”. It also indicated the battery’s temperature at 6℉ (-14℃).

I can confirm the B-130X has low temp charge cut off / protection. It also appears the protection strategy is just a little bit more advanced / sophisticated than the BBMC PowerCell 8. I performed this same test, and you can see the slightly different results here;

Why is this important?
LiFePo4 batteries must never be charged in freezing temperatures because it will cause irreparable damage. Here is an article about it;

Here are videos of the tests being performed;
Yup, this is how low temperature protection is supposed to work.
Right now, I have full confidence that the Blackvue model supports it based on your results and "meh" confidence that the BlackboxMyCar model does.

When you get the chance, break it apart and lets see what Cellink this model is based on.

Last edited:
Hi Chuck,

I ran another "high" charge mode (max charging amps setting set to 9.0 amps) test with the PC8. This time I used a VIOFO A139 Pro 3-channel dash camera as the load on the PC8 while it was being charged. The total charge time from 0% to 100% was only 1 minute longer at 60 minutes.

This time I took a couple of thermal pictures to see what the 16 awg hardwiring cable temps were towards the end of the charge cycle when the PC8 was drawing 9.2 amps according to the WANPTEK DC power supply. Just as you observed, the 16 awg hardwiring cable became warmer than I liked - warm / almost hot to the touch. Cable temps were in the 103.8F/39.8C range. I really think EGEN/BBMC should get the cable updated to at least a 14 awg hardwiring cable (if not a 12 awg). I'll be testing the BlackVue B-130X next with its 14 AWG hardwiring cable.

tc001_1671236911866.jpg

This morning I ran a PC8 power drain test using a A139 Pro 3CH dash camera in low bitrate parking mode. The PC8 reached 0% according to the app after 10 hours 56 minutes. The PC8 continued at 0% starting with an output voltage of 12.5 and after another 38 minutes the output voltage level reached 11.8 volts. That's when the HK3-C hardwire kit's low voltage cutoff turned off the A139 Pro 3CH. The total low bitrate parking mode runtime was 11 hours 34 minutes.

Last edited:
the 16 awg hardwiring cable became warmer than I liked - warm / almost hot to the touch.
Just imagine the folks who do a "clean install", and run the hardwire cable under the carpet on top of the sheet metal floorboards.
When summer gets back to 100F days, that wire is going to get HOT.
12AWG or nothing. lol

the output voltage level reached 11.8 volts.

My PC8 will go down to 11.6V.

I ran a charging test of the PowerCell 8 (PC8) using the provided cigarette lighter adapter (CLA). The "load" on the PC8 was a VIOFO A139 Pro 3CH dash camera. The total time to a full charge was 1 hour 52 minutes. The amp draw remained low (at or just over 5 amps) during most of the charge cycle. When the charge level reached 99% (1 hour 40 minutes), it remained at 99% for the next 12 minutes and the amp draw ramped up to a maximum of 5.314 amps right before it reached 100%. The BlackVue B-130X required an additional 10 minutes to reach a 100% charge level. The 16 AWG CLA cord warmed to the 81F/27.2C to 82F/27.7C range during the test.

Google Drive link to a 2 minute 13 second video (171 MB) MP4 video file showing this 5 amp CLA charging test: https://drive.google.com/file/d/17SNILJY9ULCNy8UiAniuWUOH873Rjd9w/view?usp=share_link

I ran a charging test of the PowerCell 8 (PC8) using the provided cigarette lighter adapter (CLA). The "load" on the PC8 was a VIOFO A139 Pro 3CH dash camera. The total time to a full charge was 1 hour 52 minutes. The amp draw remained low (at or just over 5 amps) during most of the charge cycle. When the charge level reached 99% (1 hour 40 minutes), it remained at 99% for the next 12 minutes and the amp draw ramped up to a maximum of 5.314 amps right before it reached 100%. The BlackVue B-130X required an additional 10 minutes to reach a 100% charge level. The 16 AWG CLA cord warmed to the 81F/27.2C to 82F/27.7C range during the test.

Google Drive link to a 2 minute 13 second video (171 MB) MP4 video file showing this 5 amp CLA charging test: https://drive.google.com/file/d/17SNILJY9ULCNy8UiAniuWUOH873Rjd9w/view?usp=share_link
I absolutely love this.
Thank you so much Robert for the confirm & verify.
I need a thermal camera. lol
Any plans to review your TC001 on your YouTube channel:
I just saw it's on sale for $237, I just wish they made an iOS version.
-Chuck

I did some more power output testing of the PC8, and the B-130X.
I put the results in the BlackVue thread.
It’s pretty neat what I found out.

In this post I will attempt to measure how much power / capacity / runtime is left in the PC8 when using the @viofo Hardwire Kit set at the lowest cut-off voltage of 11.8V.
The hardwire kit is designed to provide reliable parking mode functionality for Viofo Dash Cams, and also serve as vehicle starter battery protection with preset voltage values of 12.4V / 12.2V / 12.0V / 11.8V.
This little device is an engineering marvel.
However, when used with a dedicated dash cam battery pack the lowest cut-off value of 11.8 Volts prevents the full capacity of the battery pack from being used.
The PC8 internal BMS (battery management system) continues to deliver power down to 11.0 Volts.
I will attempt to measure how much power / capacity / runtime is unutilized, (as the battery pack continues to deliver power from 11.8V down to 11.0V).
This is like have a car with a 20 Gallon fuel tank, but only 15 Gallons can be used.

First I measured the power consumption of the A119 Mini 2 in Low Bitrate Parking Mode with official public firmware “0605” using my Fluke 115 multimeter.
171mA @ 12.60 Volts = 2.1546 Watts

I started with a fully charged PC8 at 100%.
I connected the Viofo Hardwire Kit set at 11.8 Volts, and my DROK load tester.
I set the DROK to draw 2 Amps @ 5 Volts = 10 Watts.
The Cellink Neo App indicated the estimated run time in this configuration was 7 Hours 18 Minutes
After 7 Hours 6 Minutes the Hardwire Kit shut off power to the DROK load tester.
I disconnected the hardwire kit & DROK from the PC8.
I connected the CLA Output Cable to the PC8, and connected the included Viofo dual USB charger for the A119 Mini 2, and my KEWEISI USB power tester.
I connected the A119 Mini 2 with Low Bitrate parking mode enabled.
After 5 minutes on “inactivity” the Mini 2 went into parking mode.
The Mini 2 continued to operate in parking mode for 1 Hour 51 Minutes.
The KEWEISI USB power tester indicated 3.95Wh was drawn from the PC8.
The PC8 has a capacity of 96Wh.
This means under these test conditions the Viofo Hardwire Kit set at 11.8 Volts only allows approximately 92Wh of the available 96Wh, and 4Wh is left unused.

Based on these test results it would be nice if Viofo could add a selection to the hardwire kit to completely disable the low voltage cut-off for use with dedicated dash cam battery packs to increase parking mode duration.

Attachments

• DROK Load Tester .png
    DROK Load Tester .png
    285.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 1 Hour 51 Minutes - 3.95Wh .jpg
    1 Hour 51 Minutes - 3.95Wh .jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 4
  • CLA Output Cable .jpg
    CLA Output Cable .jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Hardwire Kit & DROK .jpg
    Hardwire Kit & DROK .jpg
    385.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Start of DROK Power Drain .png
    Start of DROK Power Drain .png
    206.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Low Bitrate Power Consumption .jpg
    Low Bitrate Power Consumption .jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 3
  • KEWEISI KWS-V30 USB Power Tester .jpg
    KEWEISI KWS-V30 USB Power Tester .jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Voltage Cut-off .png
    Voltage Cut-off .png
    535.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Thanks for testing that out Chuck! I'm glad only 4WH is left over in the battery. While not ideal, I was quite worried it would be more! This could be one factor in the shorter parking mode with a battery when using VIOFO systems compared to other brands.

Food for thought, what if we just...cut out the voltage cut-off box and spliced the cable back together? I've talked to our in-house splicing expert and he doesn't see why not, though a bit tedious, so I'm unsure if we'll make a precedent of it.

GP

Food for thought, what if we just...cut out the voltage cut-off box and spliced the cable back together? I've talked to our in-house splicing expert and he doesn't see why not, though a bit tedious, so I'm unsure if we'll make a precedent of it.
If I understand your proposed change, I believe the answer is you can't do that. The "voltage cutoff box" also converts 12V-to-5V. The other possibility would be to have a USB Type-A connector put in place of the voltage adapter/cutoff box, but that's assuming there is a pin on the EGEN produced battery pack's USB Type-A port that has the right/compatible ACC toggling characteristics that the VIOFO dash camera is expecting to enter/exit parking mode.

Thanks for testing that out Chuck! I'm glad only 4WH is left over in the battery. While not ideal, I was quite worried it would be more! This could be one factor in the shorter parking mode with a battery when using VIOFO systems compared to other brands.

GP
The good news is Viofo is working on a solution to disable the low voltage cut-off, and they might send me one for testing.

Robert is correct, cutting out the “voltage cut-off box” won’t work.
I said this hardwire kit is an engineering marvel, however one drawback of the design is the 12V
“step down” to the 5V USB protocol.

The hardwire kits from premium Korean brands like BlackVue, Thinkware, GNET, iRoad, etc. they use a “proprietary” barrel connector that delivers full system voltage to the camera, (10V - 14.4V or whatever battery voltage is).
The advantage of this method is the low voltage protection strategy can be programmed into the cameras firmware.
This means they can modify low voltage protection values with a firmware update.
Another advantage of powering a dash cam with vehicle system voltage (10V - 14.4V) is it can be less susceptible to power fluctuations, resulting in power starvation recording malfunctions.
How many times have your heard a consumer needing tech support because they used a USB car charger that only has a 1 Amp Max output instead of the Viofo D2000, D3000 series that have max outputs of 3.1 Amps?

But don’t get me wrong I absolutely do not support Viofo adopting the 12 Volt proprietary barrel connector.
Because it reduces the flexibility options of powering the dash cam.
USB Type-C is a much more “universal” protocol, it's the U in USB. lol

Here’s my improvement wish list for the second generation PC8.
I shall refer to it as the “PowerCell 9000”. Lol

Ah, apologies, I had not considered that the voltage cut-off box covered 12V to 5V. Thank you for the clarification @rcg530, your alternative answer seems quite interesting, but definitely more complicated.

Glad to hear that VIOFO is already working on a fix, I look forward to hearing how the test unit goes @Panzer Platform.

I have definitely heard customers reach out to our tech support when they use a very low USB charging input, normally sending the Camera into "SD card reader mode" as if it's connected to a computer.

I'll make "Powercell 9000" the working title for any battery pack we consider in the future, though no plans currently :).

GP

I hate to necropost here but did you ever find a solution to solar charging the powercell 8? Is the only way to get a XT60 14AWG cable for it to roll your own? Waiting on my new car to be delivered and just trying to get some research done before I purchase a dashcam setup for it.

did you ever find a solution to solar charging the powercell 8?
No trouble at all, happy to answer any questions memory permitting.
Check out my experiment with solar charging;

Is the only way to get a XT60 14AWG cable for it to roll your own?
If you’re going to make your own charge cables definitely go 12AWG with 100% Pure OFC (Copper).
And make sure you watch @rcg530 video about charging the battery pack via relay instead of directly from the fuse box;

No trouble at all, happy to answer any questions memory permitting.
Check out my experiment with solar charging;

If you’re going to make your own charge cables definitely go 12AWG with 100% Pure OFC (Copper).
And make sure you watch @rcg530 video about charging the battery pack via relay instead of directly from the fuse box;
Panzer, do you have any idea when there will be an updated PowerCell 8 that addresses some of your suggestions?

Back