BlackVue Wi-Fi 2-Channel DR550GW-2CH

I don't know. When I set quality to "highest" the size of the video files more than doubles. From 30mb to 70mb. Yet, the quality doesn't look that much better.

vbx said:
I don't know. When I set quality to "highest" the size of the video files more than doubles. From 30mb to 70mb. Yet, the quality doesn't look that much better.

You mean you have blackvue dr550gw and after setting quality to "highest" the size of the video files more than doubles, but the quality doesn't look that much better, right ?
Or what dash camera you talking about ?

niko said:
vbx said:

You mean you have blackvue dr550gw and after setting quality to "highest" the size of the video files more than doubles, but the quality doesn't look that much better, right ?

Yes, the DR550GW.

vbx said:
niko said:
vbx said:

Yes, the DR550GW.
#

Usually by setting quality from standard to high it increasing bitrate ( video is less grainy ), thats why your file size doubles, but not sure why your don't see any changes ?
Can you upload raw video files from 30mb and 70mb footage?

niko said:
Usually by setting quality from standard to high it increasing bitrate ( video is less grainy ), thats why your file size doubles, but not sure why your don't see any changes ?

I'll upload some when I get my car back. It's at the dealership right now getting warranty work done to it. Maybe my cam will record the workers doing something stupid with my car? Like driving around like a bunch of jack arses. lol

vbx said:
niko said:

I'll upload some when I get my car back. It's at the dealership right now getting warranty work done to it. Maybe my cam will record the workers doing something stupid with my car? Like driving around like a bunch of jack arses. lol

OK, keep us updating.
With previous BlackVue model, Russians managed to hack firmware and rise bit-rate to max 18Mbps. If they could do the same to 550 model, then shared bitrate could be: Front 10, rear 8, or front 12, rear 6 Mbps., - this would be a huge progress.
I will keep eye on Russian forums. Hope "hackers" do something soon to this.

Is the over heating issue still exists like 500 model or it is good in 550?

vbx said:
niko said:
vbx said:

Yes, the DR550GW.

Ooops!

My cam is not the DR500GW... It's the DR500GW! Guessing specs are the same anyhow.

Yes, the DR550GW.[/quote]

Ooops!

My cam is not the DR500GW... It's the DR500GW! Guessing specs are the same anyhow.[/quote]

OOPS again maybe?????? and the specs are quite different with the 550 much lower bitrate

niko said:
vbx said:
niko said:

OK, keep us updating.
With previous BlackVue model, Russians managed to hack firmware and rise bit-rate to max 18Mbps. If they could do the same to 550 model, then shared bitrate could be: Front 10, rear 8, or front 12, rear 6 Mbps., - this would be a huge progress.
I will keep eye on Russian forums. Hope "hackers" do something soon to this.

Blackvue High Setting 50mb

Blackvue Highest Setting 70mb

Last edited by a moderator:
Highest setting? Yuck, Not Impressed, I'm glad I passed on BlackView all together.

The Auto Exposure Control is non-existent! (the jerky dim/bright driving through shadows messes with my eyes)

The over all brightness seems dim for day time. (total garbage) I mean look how you can't even see the leaves of the bottoms of trees (just dark areas) Over exposed washed out bright spots. (can't even read license plates when too bright) It's just a strange mix of too bright and too dark all at once.

What a disappointment, thanks for sharing so we all know what to expect. (more of the same)

that's why Mio developed the custom firmware to fix all these crap issues.

Like some others have said, I too was thinking of getting this, looked so promising, but having reading about the bitrate and other issues, I think I may hold it off for now. (unless I go with the custom firmware route)

I just picked one of these up today. I'm going to take some video tonight and tomorrow and will post them up on youtube. I'll also provide links to the files as well so you can see them without the youtube compression.
What other things would you guys be intersted in seeing or knowing more about?

Is it getting hotter after few hours of driving / parking?

alexsoll said:
Website Developer custom firmware:
http://car-dvr.info/forum/index.php?board=13.0
We will be happy to help you in different situations ! ;)

There is nothing useful about DR550GW ( yet ? )
The custom firmware there is only for old DR500GW model.

Would like to see when "they" do hack DR550GW bit-rate, like "they" did with DR500GW model.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just received my DR550GW (English version ordered from Korea), not had much of a chance to set it up yet, but i have noticed that it appears to have a redesigned video cable to connect the cameras with right angle connectors. Hopefully this will resolve the issues with rear camera dropout that people have been getting...

Will post more info once i've had a chance to play with it a little (hopefully later tonight ;) )

Rich

Back