Brand New DR500-HD "The Model Information Is Different"

You beat me too it Jokin the WIFI version is as it says on the photo I posted DR500GW-HD That's why it is saying the model is different because it is. Wrong firmware On looking through the versions of firmware I have on disk it seems there never was a 1.001 for the 500GW.

I would say with you trying to swap from one language to another and back in firmwares on the wrong model camera you have successfully bricked it.
To swap from one language to another there is a very set way of doing it You cant just stuff it in and expect it to work.

If it hasn't got the GW as on the front of the manual above you have the NO WIFI and NO GPS and lesser quality one. Hope you didn't pay too much for it.

As here http://blackvue.com/en/contents/sub1.asp?idx=23

There is no firmware on the Blackvue site for this model camera at all

Maybe someone could upload the original file from the dr500 hd if anyone has one

Edited:

Correction, this is, in fact a DR-500HD model (not GW), but lists Wi-Fi on the box and in the manual, it just lacks GPS, which I didn't personally care about.

My assumption at this point, is I need to find DR-500HD firmware to install on this camera. Anybody know if that even exists? I can't find anything other than GW firmware on BlackVue.com...

We are getting somewhere, appreciate the help!

Last edited:
It does exist but only in an existing camera

Unless someone has found a way to extract the info from a camera I dont like your chances.

I tried that when I got my Korean version and it didn't work.

Havent seen anyone post on here as having done it

In the link I posted above it says nothing about Wifi but does say you can use a Smartphone that supports SD card

Meaning you can put the card from the camera into the phone and view it.

I did say there is no firmware on the Blackvue site I had a very good look for it,

If your box and manual says it has WIFI I reckon someone has swapped cameras as that model does not mention as having WIFI

The letters G means GPS and W means WIFI. My DR350 HD has neither The DR400G HD has GPS

Your very last chance is to format the SD card and put the blank card in the camera and see what happens.

If by some chance all your playing around has not loaded anything onto the camera the original firmware may still be there.

Start the camera up and LISTEN CAREFULLY to what it says.

If it says upgrading the Blackvue or Starting Normal recording you might have got lucky.

After 5 mins take the card out and put it in a PC and look at it in the viewer. Click on the exclamation mark and tell us what it says as far as software etc

This is exactly what I did yesterday, when I purchased a new SD card, and after putting the brand new SD card in the unit, it never once said 'upgrading' it gave the 'initializing' prompt, then said 'recording' and after 5 minutes, I put it in the PC and it had version 1.001 loaded onto it, but no video. I'm going to be returning it, and getting the GW, as it seems there is much more demand and support for that model. I think what has confused me was the image on the box where it looks like the wi-fi arches, when all it is saying is it can view on the device, not wirelessly communicate.

I appreciate the help here Hillbilly, and everyone. I now have invested enough time and effort into understanding these units, and think once I get ahold of the 500GW, I will be able to get it working in no time. If not, we shall meet again.

Thanks again!

Next time just run the camera as it comes and dont play until you are familiar with it.

Make sure you buy one with ENGLISH firmware in it.

When asking for help It does make it easier if you quote EXACTLY what the prompts from the camera are.

EG it never says just "Recording" It always says " Starting normal recording" or "Starting Parking Mode"

Then we can perhaps work out what is happening.

Are you letting it shut down properly before taking the card out?

At this point, I would wipe one of the cards completely, stick it into the camera while blank, and press the button on the right side to format it and have the camera transfer it's firmware to it. Then pull it out and try going the config's renaming trick to english to see if it helps.

At this point, I would wipe one of the cards completely, stick it into the camera while blank, and press the button on the right side to format it and have the camera transfer it's firmware to it. Then pull it out and try going the config's renaming trick to english to see if it helps.

Did you read through the posts

He obviously had one with English on it as it was speaking English. I was just telling him to make sure as lots of sellers don't tell you theirs is a Korean model

He did do that as said in reply 25 and it still had the original firmware in the camera but had no video.

You don't need to press the button when you put a blank card in as when it says its initializing it is FORMATTING IT before installing the software on it.

You only need to do that if it has something on the card and you want to clean it off after having used it for a while.

Far better to take it out and do it in a PC actually, then you can do the settings as well.

Last edited:
Back