CPL Status

DIY is the best we can do for existing customers. The whole reason the new CPL was mass produced was to lower cost, and the lower cost version can only be made in a simple shape to clip on new re tooled lens housing. The shape of the lens housing is too complex and smooth to attach anything properly long term. Have a look at the expensive 3D printed SGGCCPL that holds via interference friction.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ns-filter-for-street-guardian-sg9665gc.14256/

it's made for the revised lens housing, for new users it's fine, for the existing camera owners they'll need to be aware of that stuff
I just bought a SG9665GC (a few weeks back). What will my options be for a CPL? I can obviously buy the existing one for $40, but will my camera work with the new one? Is there any advantage with using the new CPL over the old one?

thanks

I just bought a SG9665GC (a few weeks back). What will my options be for a CPL? I can obviously buy the existing one for $40, but will my camera work with the new one? Is there any advantage with using the new CPL over the old one?

thanks

See my previous post right before you replied. Performance should be the same. New one will require DIY to attach (see last several pages of posts)
Next generation Street Guardian products will have the re-tooled lens housing to attach new mass produced CPL

See my previous post right before you replied. Performance should be the same. New one will require DIY to attach (see last several pages of posts)
Next generation Street Guardian products will have the re-tooled lens housing to attach new mass produced CPL
ahhh.. our posts just crossed. Have you announced when your new model with re-tooled lens housing is coming out yet?

It seems like the choice is to spend $40 on the existing CPL or wait some time and spend maybe $20 and fiddle around with DIY.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

It seems like the choice is to spend $40 on the existing CPL or wait some time and spend maybe $20 and fiddle around with DIY.

it's actually very simple to attach to the old housing, have been using the test samples on the old camera for the past 6 weeks without issue, if you wanted to constantly take the filter on and off the existing filter is perhaps the better choice for the current camera, most people do tend to leave them on though as the effect at night is not that strong to cause an issue so if you are happy with set and forget then you could use the new one which will be cheaper

the old filter will not fit the new camera, that's not really a consideration though anyway

Received my sample filter yesterday. Thanks to Viofo for sending me the sample. I could not test it thoroughly on road. But here are my initial observations when I installed it in my Parking lot.

It definitely reduces the reflections. My car had too many reflections so that the camera was not really usable in direct sunlight. With the addition of CPL filter, the reflections has reduced greatly. However, installing and adjusting the filter was a real pain. Even though the housing had a cut to rotate the lens, mine didn't rotate that easily with bare hands. I had to remove the filter from cam and then blindly adjust it using a pointed object or using my nails. Almost impossible it to adjust the lens while it is fixed to the cam. So, I am not sure whether my current setting is perfect or not. Also, whenever I fix or remove the filter, the lens housing tends to move left or right from its ideal position. I understand that this is a pre-production model and I hope the production model will be much easier to adjust.

Without CPL under direct sunlight (with dirty windshield):
YwmmeWk.jpg

With CPL under direct sunlight (with dirty windshield):
MuOnlss.jpg

Without CPL under direct sunlight (with clean windshield):
N2lEYli.jpg

With CPL under direct sunlight (with clean windshield):
LKeUUlG.jpg

I will try to post more samples when I get a chance to test it on road.

Last edited:
How do i be a CPL filter tester too?

yeah the tester process was closed a while back, they'll be available to purchase very soon

thanks man, looking forward to the CPL

@viofo - can I just buy the glass CPL filter without any mount please? For my DIY experiment.

What diameter is the bare filter? How do I buy it on its own?

@viofo - can I just buy the glass CPL filter without any mount please? For my DIY experiment.

Wow this site Dash Cam Talk created a monster. When you first arrived a few weeks ago you were so inexperienced about dash cams.:):)

Just come back.
When I asked about CPL for dashcam. I got follow answer "What is a dashcam ?"
Now I out of fuel.:(
LOL:)

Please wait for our final version, which will be available at the end of this month, this really take much time for production, not a simple glass.

@viofo - and do you now what would be expected price?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G A119 4
Back