Custom Firmware Thread: *RELEASED* Ver 1.1.1aE [DR500GW-HD]

Re: Custom Firmware for DR500GW-HD | Higher bitrate | No sta

Yes, big truck, I think you are referring to a crack in the windscreen, I can't remember now as most of our fleet have a bullet hole or two in the windows :)

Had no issues at all on 15k, maybe if summer comes to this horrible country this year and we have some warm days I will drop it back to 12k, what are the first signs of overheating ?

Marcus said:
Yes, big truck, I think you are referring to a crack in the windscreen, I can't remember now as most of our fleet have a bullet hole or two in the windows :)

Had no issues at all on 15k, maybe if summer comes to this horrible country this year and we have some warm days I will drop it back to 12k, what are the first signs of overheating ?
So far the known issue, is the common GPS signal lost or worst GPS chip burnt, Out of focus / Blurry video and fogging video.

I am experiencing out of focus blurry video~! :cry:

RAGY said:
I am experiencing out of focus blurry video~! :cry:
Hi Ragy,

How long you had been using the cam? You always park your ride in the open space? I believe you wired your cam for 24/7 ?

I do not ON it 24/7... I only ON it when I am parking in sheltered places. BTW I got it less than a month.

RAGY said:
I do not ON it 24/7... I only ON it when I am parking in sheltered places. BTW I got it less than a month.
Oh mine.. guess your is a lemon set.

Hi im new to his forum. so dont flame me if i ask questions that is already answered in this thread.
Before i purchased the BlackVue DR500GW-HD. I searched the web for reviews, and I found this website informative and read the revue and users experiences of the camera before i purchased the BlackVue.

And after i have used this unit for some weeks i see that the standard bitrate is to low eaven at standard settings and that i now want this custom Firmware that is made available by Mio.
Bout before i send a PM to Mio, i want some questions answered.

- Will i be abel to go back to the standard firmware if needed after i have updated the camera to the new "improved" one.
- How is the experience with heat with the 15k bitrate, or what bitrate will you recommend to go with.
- How stabel is this new Firmware vs the Standard one? and are there any issues that i should be aware of?

Again sorry for asking those questions, bout this thread is starting to get quite long,and i don't seem to find answers to my questions in this thread.

Wagonator said:
Hi im new to his forum. so dont flame me if i ask questions that is already answered in this thread.
Before i purchased the BlackVue DR500GW-HD. I searched the web for reviews, and I found this website informative and read the revue and users experiences of the camera before i purchased the BlackVue.

And after i have used this unit for some weeks i see that the standard bitrate is to low eaven at standard settings and that i now want this custom Firmware that is made available by Mio.
Bout before i send a PM to Mio, i want some questions answered.

- Will i be abel to go back to the standard firmware if needed after i have updated the camera to the new "improved" one.
- How is the experience with heat with the 15k bitrate, or what bitrate will you recommend to go with.
- How stabel is this new Firmware vs the Standard one? and are there any issues that i should be aware of?

Again sorry for asking those questions, bout this thread is starting to get quite long,and i don't seem to find answers to my questions in this thread.
I think you are able to revert back to original firmware, but i am not 100% sure about it. Maybe Mio can advice more on this. Once you on custom firmware, you won't think about the original firmware. As for the setting bitrate, i think 12mpbs is just nice. 12 hour of recording on 64GB card is impressive. So far this custom 1.005 is quite stable. As for heat issue, it is all depend on luck. Pittasoft camera not that reliable after all.

You can update
original 1.003, 1.005 -> 1.0.5ES
1.0.3cES -> 1.0.5ES
1.0.5ES -> original 1.003, 1.005, 1.0.3cES

It is important, only way
1.0.3aE -> 1.0.3сES
further variants
1.0.3cES -> 1.003 original
1.0.3cES -> 1.005 original (if speaks error 1 - Clean fleshcard and insert a blank)
1.005 original -> 1.0.3cES (change in file "version# FW 1.005 -> 1.003)
1.003 original -> 1.0.3cES
1.0.3cES -> 1.0.5S (afterwards)

i just recorded some night time driving videos, and the video quality is really bad. can barely see anything and it's super dark - basically the video is useless.

will flashing the custom firmware and increasing the bitrate help with this?

Hi Mio

Can you please send me the upgraded firmware?

heiNey said:
i just recorded some night time driving videos, and the video quality is really bad. can barely see anything and it's super dark - basically the video is useless.

You can see the below sample video with 12mpbs bitrate in the night. Hmm, youtube quality seem to be a bit lower. But real video file is better.

Remember to watch in 1080p format.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hey Mio,

Could you send me the custom firmware?

Thanks

I need the custom firmware also. The BV does not like lots of green trees in the scren. Too many in my area. Video quality is terrible.

flank said:
The BV does not like lots of green trees in the scren. Too many in my area

Boy, you're soooooooo right! Also in my neighborhood too many to cut them all down :roll:

I'm getting more and more upset about the poor quality of my recordings, some days ago I wrote an e-mail of complaint to Pittasoft!

I will wait some more weeks for an official firmware update, which hopefully will eliminate main problems of this cam. If Pittasoft doesn't get off the stick, I also will ask for the custom firmware created by some talented members here in the forum.

I cannot understand, why a company develops such a perfect designed product - I like the software too - but totally neglects the adequate picture quality!

Yours,

Thomas

I'm upset with the recording capabilities as well. All of their photos are clever. Very low speeds so the images are sharper and the car number plates are huge. In USA, the car plates are not so large.

I thought I was buying one of the best car cameras out there....Not exactly so.

Hi Mio

Can you please send me the custom firmware?
My email is ptanhvn@gmail.com
Tks.

Hi, I'm also kind of disappointed with the daytime video. Not as clear as it should, I can only read plates in my lane. Lanes to the left or right is just a blurry mess.

Could I request a copy of this FW as well?

Thanks!

Dscheng said:
heiNey said:

You can see the below sample video with 12mpbs bitrate in the night. Hmm, youtube quality seem to be a bit lower. But real video file is better.

Remember to watch in 1080p format.

thanks. it does look clearer than mine.

Question so once we apply the custom firmware can we adjust the bit rate and compression level through the mobile GUi. (Or only manually modifying ini file on a PC?) I'd like to better understand what to expect since I don't have a DR500 yet. I thought I read the GUI changes to high/normal will no longer have an effect post custom firmware update. If we can't use the mobile GUI anymore to modify quality levels via custom firmware is that even a possibility in a future release? (Probably too much work-around coding I'd imagine) I do have a jailbroken iPhone though if that opens up any other doors.

I wish Pittasoft would just give us what we want in an official firmware. Is it because of over heating? It's not an issue for me living in 60 degree San Francisco and having a garage too.
See rant thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1354

Having native 64GB support would be nice as well. Using the utility here isn't too bad but still.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=607&hilit=64GB&start=10#p6429

Back