Custom G90 (A7LA30) Firmware r441MP - Higher VBR Bitrates - 12, 18, 24Mbps+ options.

reverend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Too many
Right then, I've just done another two custom G90 firmwares using @Tobi@s' A7Tool based on firmware r441MP.

The first one is ultra HQ and uses the following settings:

upload_2014-8-19_12-12-57.png

So basically we're looking at a minimum of 12Mbps and a max of up to 48Mbps - this is VBR and it will adjust accordingly as required so hopefully no data will be lost like I showed in the comparison yesterday. In my initial testing it seems to run as CBR 48Mbps though.

In all fairness a CBR 18Mbps should be enough but there's nothing wrong with tweaking and covering your bum to try and ensure the MPEG compression doesn't go and lose something you really need (ie a numberplate).

Please note this means the potential for huge filesizes (~800MB per 3 mins) and extra heat as the A7 chip will be working harder so your milage may vary when using this in hot climates. It's a good way of testing the camera is stable though as if it doesn't fail with this then it's going to be stable with lower bitrates :)

The 18Mbps firmware offers slightly better quality than standard in my experience which tends to run around the 15Mbps mark.

To install, copy the relevant file below to the root of your memory card and connect the camera to a power source (not a PC) and upgrade when prompted.

https://mega.co.nz/#!Qc8XRKpL!DxGNTWYKVE6JnpdaGqBK5tRVjbUcusKUy9x3QxnLaRc

For those who don't want the crazy file sizes of the above firmware then you can use the 18Mbps version here:

https://mega.co.nz/#!FM9x0RQQ!voeMcMaBeL6AIgHES6bmDVT5Msj5bjmdbbPmTyOXNic

And then finally a totally different spin - a firmware which reduces the bitrate of most steppings by 6Mbps - this means potentially reduced quality but you'll fit more onto the memory card, and some of the settings are still 12Mbps (same as the Panorama) with this one:

https://mega.co.nz/#!UZVihKxa!XwGZv_CDTGWBdq7L32fIvmWvKhSZVEy2lmjnYAEmJXI

Firmware Update Instructions
  1. Copy the firmware file (*.bin) onto the root (ie top folder) of the MicroSD card.
  2. You may need to rename the firmware file to "firmware.bin" if it has any other name.
  3. Eject the MicroSD card reader via the icon in the Windows system tray (ie near the clock on the Windows task bar).
  4. Insert the MicroSD card with the firmware.bin file into the G90 camera.
  5. Connect the camera to a USB power source such as the provided car charger or a USB phone charger. Do not update on battery power!
  6. The camera should prompt to update automatically - select Yes to begin the upgrade.
  7. The camera will now go through a few update stages and will power off when complete.
  8. Remove the MicroSD card from the camera and insert into a USB reader, or alternatively connect the USB cable directly to the camera and use mass storage mode.
  9. Delete the \firmware.bin file from the memory card - otherwise the camera will prompt for upgrade at every boot
  10. Eject the MicroSD card reader via the icon in the Windows system tray (ie near the clock on the Windows task bar).
  11. Insert the MicroSD card with the firmware.bin file into the G90 camera.
  12. It may be necessary to reset the camera to default settings to make any new optimized settings take effect - please note this may reset the language into Russian so ensure you are familiar with where the language menu option is before performing this. An easy way is count how many times you have to press the right arrow until you get to the language option - after the reset just press the right arrow that many times, click OK and you will see the English option.
  13. Go and record some footage of dodgy driving and then submit it here :)

Last edited:
Does this give variable size files or variable time files? Just a bit worried about card fragmentation over time if the files all end up different sizes...

Just variable file sizes - to be honest you should be formatting the cards regularly anyway just to make sure things go smoothly otherwise random issues do occur on the memory controllers like you say while it works out what to put where.

I've had issues with cameras with CBR anyway as they loop so this isn't restricted to VBR cams unfortunately.

Why 48mbps?

Does increasing from 15 or 18 to 48 really improves video that much?
That's a huge toll on disk space.
It's VBR but doesn't change much unless you go from daytime to nighttime and even then, it may not hit the lowest VBR.

I'll try one of the firmware but I think I'll limit to the lower VBR's like 18 as I still have the r328 firmware that does around 15.8mbps.

Like I say in the first post mate 18 is more than likely the sweet spot - I just increased it after having the issues yesterday to see if it handles it :)

That Z7 uses just 12Mbps but seems to get better plate readings than the G90 in some situations - it's all swings and roundabouts.

Memory card wise they've all got warranty so just maximising the chances of getting a readable plate in an impact.

Last edited:
Like I say in the first post mate 18 is more than likely the sweet spot - I just increased it after having the issues yesterday to see if it handles it :)

That Z7 uses just 12Mbps but seems to get better plate readings than the G90 in some situations - it's all swings and roundabouts.

Memory card wise they've all got warranty so just maximising the chances of getting a readable plate in an impact.

Z7 is pretty decent.

Update on how 48mbps works out.
I'm not as worried about the disk space but heat issue.
I don't want to mess it, it's a nice camera.

This one is leaner - a max of 18Mbps and can drop to a quarter of that - I've not tested this one but it should result in smaller filesizes - how detail recording stands up I don't know yet.
https://mega.co.nz/#!FM9x0RQQ!voeMcMaBeL6AIgHES6bmDVT5Msj5bjmdbbPmTyOXNic
I'll go and road test it :)
Is there a 18mbps version that doesn't drop lower than the r328 firmware?
I like 18mbps max but don't want the minimum to drop way lower than original G90 firmware or r328.

I upgraded to the 18mbps firmware last night.
Haven't had chance to check the videos yet.
Hopefully, it's still working. :D

It should be fine mate - looking forward to hearing how you get on with it :)

It should be fine mate - looking forward to hearing how you get on with it :)

Hmm... I just reviewed the files and there is not a single file after the upgrade even when I had the red record blinking on the screen all the time.
Red blinking but nothing recording is bad as it assures it's recording when actually there is nothing if needed. :eek:
It only has files until the upgrade.
I guess I had to format the card after upgrade.
Thankfully, I had Z7 running side-by-side so it was covered.
I'll format the card.

That's weird - these are the same cards you had problems with the Z7 too though mate? They have been run through h2testw as you've had a few probs now with different cameras? Maybe something is screwing up the filesystem? Dodgy reader maybe - do you eject via Windows or just remove the card?

Not had any issues as of yet here - I have noticed it saves a lot of space at night though which is a bonus when most of the frame is black so VBR is definitely working :)

@CheckYourLights how are you getting on? Any issues your end?

Last edited:
No, card is the same as before, A-Data.
I will test today after formatting. .

@CheckYourLights how are you getting on? Any issues your end?
I'm not having any firmware based issues it does not seem.
However I have been having some heat issues witch I have talked to GearBest about.
The camera runs okay for awhile, and then all of a sudden while I am in having lunch or at the store and come back to the car after about 30 mins or so the camera is
extremely hot to the touch and does not respond to any button presses.

So far it has happened twice. The blue light is lit, but other then that the camera is unresponsive. I have to unplug it and let it cool down for a few hours. Then it will come back to life.

It has happened once on the stock firmware I believe and once on your Lean 18.

I record in one min clips and it takes up 140MB a clip. Things look good when the camera does not over heat.

To be fair the 18 is actually up on the standard firmware - I was looking through Falsificator's firmwares last night to see what he does when he lifts up the bitrates and noticed they're in batches of threes.

If you want I can try and do a 12Mbps version to see if the issues you get persist?

To be fair the 18 is actually up on the standard firmware - I was looking through Falsificator's firmwares last night to see what he does when he lifts up the bitrates and noticed they're in batches of threes.

If you want I can try and do a 12Mbps version to see if the issues you get persist?
It's up to you if you have the free time. If i remember correctly the camera had the same issue on stock firmware, but if you make it I will give it a shot. I'll add it to my folder of growing G90 firmwares and flash it this evening.

If it's anything like the Samoon 3H2F-D that had a protection circuit where it would shut the camera down and it wouldn't power on once it had reached a certain temperature - I've got a feeling this could be the same sort of thing happening to you potentially. Well either that or it's just plain old faulty.

How hot is it where you are? We're pretty lucky in the UK I guess in that we don't suffer crazy temperatures, although saying that I'm still buying a dashmat and I've had the issues with one camera shutting down in the heat and the DOD focus issues!

Just going to alter the default r441MP firmware mate to step all of the bitrates back a bit and we'll see if it makes any difference - if it's the protection circuits for the battery doing this it may not make any difference though but we'll see.

Back