D33 Super Mini

Yes, can be, but price will be many times higher. Its all about price and demand. If today most buyers want to spend 70-100 usd max then manufacturers will try to produce maximum performanse and minimal size within that price.
If "tomorrow" we all say to manufacturers: we are not cheap any more and we are ready to pay 300,400,500 usd then of course they will give us different product.
How expensive would an remote lens/extension be? I thought the keyfob and mobius one had 20cm extensions you could buy for 7$

How expensive would an remote lens/extension be? I thought the keyfob and mobius one had 20cm extensions you could buy for 7$

This raises a good question. It is hard not to imagine that a small, well designed, well built, console mounted DVR couldn't be offered at a "reasonable" price of say, $150-200 USD that would accommodate at least one or perhaps two windshield mounted cable operated remote cameras. This small console DVR could have a built in screen (flip-up?) that could be switched between cameras or alternatively, a small monitor screen (perhaps with menu control buttons) that could be connected via cable to the central unit and mounted with velcro on the dashboard. Why would such a device need to cost 300-500 dollars? The Lukas LK-7300G makes a stab at something like this but misses the target in my view.

Last edited:
Perhaps you are right jokiin. Certainly, you are much more knowledgeable than most when it comes to understanding what such a device would cost. Still, I am sure that there are many people who would be happy to pay a premium for such a device if it offered what I described and had decent video performance. Perhaps, USD 250-300?

retail pricing would be up amongst what the Koreans are charging for dual cam setups, there's a market for this setup I'm sure but it's not as a big a market as some of the simpler designs which makes it a bit less cost effective to do

So, for the sake of argument, wouldn't it be relatively easy to create a modest priced console mounted DVR employing a NT96650+AR0330 solution with a screen but the lens/sensor module on the end of a cable? Kind of a GT300W / LS300W with a remote lens?

This would make for a stealthy install and eliminate heat issues. Plus it could be relatively inexpensive and still be of decent quality.

So, for the sake of argument, wouldn't it be relatively easy to create a modest priced console mounted DVR employing a NT96650+AR0330 solution with a screen but the lens/sensor module on the end of a cable? Kind of a GT/300W - LS300W with a remote lens?

This would make for a stealthy install and eliminate heat issues.

sorry, I was referring to something like A7LA-85, dual 1080p, WiFi, that's the type of functionality I'd see in a remote cam setup

if just a remote single cam unit it could certainly be a whole lot cheaper, I wouldn't build it on the Novatek platform though

Sorry too, this was just a thought about a more modest simple idea along the same lines, not what we were really discussing previously.

Anyway, an inexpensive solution like this could be appealing, no?

Anyway, an inexpensive solution like this could be appealing, no?

could be done at a reasonable upcost and I'm sure there's appeal, but there's also a lot of challenges to getting the design right, sounds appealing having a camera up front and hiding the DVR away, but then how about the microphone, how about when you want to turn the microphone off or on while recording, or what about when you want to manually save a file, and if you want GPS, stuff that we take for granted when everything is up on the window within easy reach

it's something I'm looking at but it's not really that straightforward

could be done at a reasonable upcost and I'm sure there's appeal, but there's also a lot of challenges to getting the design right, sounds appealing having a camera up front and hiding the DVR away, but then how about the microphone, how about when you want to turn the microphone off or on while recording, or what about when you want to manually save a file, and if you want GPS, stuff that we take for granted when everything is up on the window within easy reach

You make some good points but these don't sound like totally insurmountable challenges.
Hey man, when can you have this ready to ship?? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Wait a minute... is there any way to extend the lens on a GT300W/550W as it currently is?
Or even a G1W... I've never seen an extension cable/way to do it for it so far. Not that there'd be any demand for it as it is but I would be interested if there was a way.

Back in post #42 I mentioned the concept of a DVR with a cable operated lens/sensor unit and small monitor screen with menu control buttons that could be mounted with velcro on the dashboard. At the time, I thought about suggesting that the monitor/control unit could even plug directly into a cigarette lighter socket but I didn't mention it because in my particular vehicle, because of where the 12V sockets are placed (there are two), it would be more trouble than it's worth. In any event, I was perusing the FAQ and associated links DashCamMan posted about the Samoon 3H2F/GS6000 and discovered that Samoon offers just such a remote lens unit. While it isn't quite the product I had in mind, it is basically the concept I was talking about.

Edit: The camera on this unit bears an interesting resemblance to the D33. Certainly, a remote lens/sensor module could be far smaller.

samoon1.png

samooon2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in post #42 I mentioned the concept of a DVR with a cable operated lens/sensor unit and small monitor screen with menu control buttons that could be mounted with velcro on the dashboard. At the time, I thought about suggesting that the monitor/control unit could even plug directly into a cigarette lighter socket but I didn't mention it because in my particular vehicle, because of where the 12V sockets are placed (there are two), it would be more trouble than it's worth. In any event, I was perusing the FAQ and associated links DashCamMan posted about the Samoon 3H2F/GS6000 and discovered that Samoon offers just such a remote lens unit. While it isn't quite the product I had in mind, it is basically the concept I was talking about.

Edit: The camera on this unit bears an interesting resemblance to the D33. Certainly, a remote lens/sensor module could be far smaller.

View attachment 2221

View attachment 2222
Here's more info from their website:
http://www.samoon.net/en/product_show.asp?dlm=&xlm=&id=10

Why can't I find it for sale/price anywhere and footage anywhere?

Last edited by a moderator:
if you'd seen both of them together you'd see they are in no way similar

Maybe I should have said "superficial" resemblance. Also, come to think of it, there is no indication of size and it's hard to tell if the photo is even to scale when you look at the base unit and the cam.

Edit: I'm also curious about what appears in the photo to be a cable with an HDMI designation connecting the base unit with the lens module.

Back